• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About Tezuka article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this first on the ANS ML. Give credit where it's due please.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't think matters such as this should be posted on the public message board, buit since you have, I'll answer you here.

Don't be so presumptuous.

While I have no doubt that you may have mentionned it on the ANS mailling list before I posted it, it doesn't mean that I heard about it from there.

Isaac Alexander, the former editor in chief on ANN e-mailed me a link to the article this morning.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:11 pm Reply with quote
"Isaac Alexander, the former editor in chief on ANN e-mailed me a link to the article this morning."

Well unless Isaac lives in L.A. or reads each edition of the L.A. Weekly, he couldn't have known about it otherwise. I mentioned this on the ML the day it came out, and the fact that he didn't bring it up until Monday makes me wonder.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Two corrections.

1) It wasn't Isaac that sent me the link.
2) The Link was sent to us yesterday at about 3pm.

Now then, it is very possible that the person who sent us the link e-mailed it to us after having read your post in that ML.

It is also very possible that someone else who read your post re-posted it somewhere else without crediting you, and that re-post was passed on to us without any knowledge that it was yours.

It's also possible that someone else lives in LA (there's a few people in addition to yourself) and posted about that article on the internet.

And then there's the final possibility that the person who sent ANN that link happens to read the LA Weekly in paper format or on the internet.

Running ANN for 18 months now, one thing we've learned is that just because we post something, and that we're the original source of that post, it doesn't mean that everyone else on the internet learned about it from us. Other people have access to the same information as us, and may post their own, original articles a few hours, or days, after us on the same subject.

And it goes the same the other way around...

It would be presumptuous to assume otherwise, so we don't. When someone else posts information that we've already posted, and doesn't list us as the source, we assume that they have their own sources... all the while remaining aware that they may have received the information from us and not credited us because they forgot, didn't think it was necessary, or consciouly decided not to do the right thing.

Anyways, the person who sent us that link has been credited in the story.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:15 pm Reply with quote
"Running ANN for 18 months now, one thing we've learned is that just because we post something, and that we're the original source of that post, it doesn't mean that everyone else on the internet learned about it from us. Other people have access to the same information as us, and may post their own, original articles a few hours, or days, after us on the same subject.

Yeah, I guess if this was a site like Nausicaa.net, I'd agree with that statement, but since it's so exclusive, it still bothers me.

"It would be presumptuous to assume otherwise, so we don't. When someone else posts information that we've already posted, and doesn't list us as the source, we assume that they have their own sources..."

Well FYI, I always mention you if I get anything important from you. And I'll accept this conclusion for now, because you have linked ANS in the past when appropriate. Let's just hope that, in the future, if anyone on the ANS ML does decide to contribute my information to ANN, that they give credit where its due.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

And I'll accept this conclusion for now, because you have linked ANS in the past when appropriate.

Thanks. I guess.

Quote:

Let's just hope that, in the future, if anyone on the ANS ML does decide to contribute my information to ANN, that they give credit where its due.

Yes, let's hope. I honestly do not want to fail to give credit where it's due. I don't like when I feel that it has been done to me, I don't want to do it to you, Jonah or anyone for that matter.

I'm certain that Cookie feels the same way.
Delirium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Just on a related note, I think the folks at The-Sugoi.com will be pleased if you could credit them on some recent Japanese news. :)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Delirium wrote:

Just on a related note, I think the folks at The-Sugoi.com will be pleased if you could credit them on some recent Japanese news. Smile

Which Item, I'll look in to it.

There are currently four people who post news articles. While Cookie and I, as editors-in-chief, are responsible for everything that is posted in the news, we don't know which areticle you're talking about unless you tell us.
Delirium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:10 pm Reply with quote
<<<Which Item, I'll look in to it.>>>

Assuming that you don´t get them from other sources since your news selection is nearly identical with the from Sugoi, I hint at the following items:

+Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai
+Gatekeepers 21
+Read or Die Cardgame
+Read or Die 3
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Delirium wrote:

Assuming that you don´t get them from other sources since your news selection is nearly identical with the from Sugoi, I hint at the following items:

Sorry toget back to you so late, the items have all been fixed apropriately. It seesm that there was a problem tracking down the proper sources.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1