• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien(one of the best animes you'll ever see)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animegmr01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:47 pm Reply with quote
If you guys haven't's checked this anime out on [EDIT - Fansub URL removed -C] then I strongly recommend it.

It's displays perfect examples of real life situations.

You can read the synapse of the series on this sight.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Are you joking me? Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a soap opera, through and through. Like, the kind where Dr. John's lover who's actually his estranged sister goes into a coma, that sort of thing. It isn't realistic at all.

-Z
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:46 pm Reply with quote
"Read the synapse"??

I hope you meant Synopsis...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah...a synapse is an action that occurs within the nervous system. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
animegmr01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:23 am Reply with quote
Sorry about to typos.
I've been a little brain dead for the last few days.

It may be a soap opera type series but it's still really good in my opinion.

I'm a little embarrassed about that typo Embarassed
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:15 am Reply with quote
I like it. But then agien im buying the r2 kanon so take what i say with that in mind.

Im a sucker for sad girls and snow.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:24 am Reply with quote
Cool

I Like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien alot but it will take a heck of alot to beat Kanon.
Domingo Chavez(DC)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:42 am Reply with quote
where did u guys get money to buy anime stuff?
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:25 am Reply with quote
I use a photocopier, ripped up t-shirts, and a gallon of marshmallow ice cream topping to pay for my anime.

Now please refrain from asking idiotic questions in threads that have nothing to do with said idiotic question.

Now, on topic, having hooked myself into manga like Mars I'm naturally interested in this Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Could any of you give me a bit of a rundown on it, honest opinions included.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:12 am Reply with quote
Hey Craeyst, how much does a gallon of marshmallow ice cream topping sell for anyway? ^_^

As far as Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, here is what I can tell you. It deals more with a love triangle than anything else. I don't remember all the details, but I can also tell you it is based on an H game, and the tendency for most anime series based on those usually lack substance. On the other hand, Kimi ga's story appeared to be deeper than most, and I did enjoy playing it (never did finish it though)

Although this is a rundown, it may still contain spoilers, so:

spoiler[I know that the shy girl he dates gets into an accident of sorts (got hit by a car) and he winds up going out with his childhood friend, more out of guilt I think because he feels he was at fault for the accident. At the same time, this other girl wanted to be more than just friends, and offered him some lovin' comfort. ^_^
I also think the shy girl he was going out with winds up in a coma due to that accident, but she eventually wakes up and so the guy is torn apart between the two girls he cares about.
(IIRC, I don't know that much Japanese and was going through the game so...)]

In one respect, it reminds me of a semi-twisted version of Kimagure Orange road... (Brunette gives up guy she likes to blonde, though blonde girl here is shy, quiet and reserved, but then if blonde girl is out of picture, what is the guy to do?)

Okay, maybe not so KOR, but it slipped into my mind for some reason. Maybe because I was listening to Kanako Wada on my way home from work tonight.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game well enough, and now that the series is coming out, perhaps I'll take some time and finish out the game...

And Zac? If people cared about realism, Soap Operas would have died out long ago, and most anime wouldn't be created.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:40 am Reply with quote
Read all the threads, Godai.

I was responding to this comment:

"It's displays perfect examples of real life situations."

I can safely say that this show does not resemble real life in almost any fashion. It's a soap. That's all. I wasn't criticising the show for not being realistic.

Please read all the posts carefully before slinging mud around, kay?

-Z
vandalthorne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:59 am Reply with quote
Defensive much?

I mean really, I took his response more as a good natured jive. If you keep overreacting to everything you'll bust a gasket.

It's not like we selectively see what has been typed as we scroll down or anything...
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, doesn't sound too bad. Certainly I can see where Zac would be coming from, but I'm a sucker for a good romance. Ask anyone who knows me, I'm a hopeless romantic at heart. ^_^

What's the artwork like? Any particular style?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac... really, I do admit I missed his line... and you are right... he was full of it. The kind of problems happening here probably effect 1/100th of 1 % of the world, if that. The point of saying it was just me giving a jibe in good nature. Like them or not, soap operas have a large audience.

My favorite "soap operas" of all time? Maison Ikkoku and Marmalade Boy.

Doesn't mean I like the rest of the crap out there though. ^_^

This is one I'm undecided on because I haven't seen enough of the complete story for me to make any kind of judgement about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mentar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to say so, but you totally missed the boat on this series, Zac. Going in with preconceptions is a dangerous thing Wink ... instead of reviewing shortcomings of H-game based animes _in general_, it would have suited your preview better to concentrate on the anime itself.

I'll give you that the first episode was slightly misleading, since it seemed to fall into the usual pattern, but after episodes 2 and especially 3 it was very clear that this was going to be a very deep and well-constructed story. The motivations of the characters _are_ explained, in fact, since all characters are very believable, their actions understandable and their dilemmas touching. KimiNozo is shaping up to be an outstanding mature romantic drama - and the fan responses speak for themselves. No matter which review site you go, the ratings are paramount.

Finally, as an anime reviewer, I find it very amusing that you refuse to grant KimiNozo the obvious: That the plot, the problems and the backgrounds are indeed very realistic. I can very much relate to the basic situation personally - and I can't say the same for animes in which robot warriors fight battles in space or other fantastic settings Smile

I know you've watched at least 3 episodes. The Romance genre has certain limitations as any other form of genre has. KimiNozo definitely breaks several unwritten laws of the genre and goes way beyond the usual. Still maintaining the damning "soap" criticizm is more a sign of stubbornness than solid work.

Some feedback, in case the critic can take some criticizm too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3