• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces Release Date for Evangelion Director's Cut

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:38 pm Reply with quote
About damn time...
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:59 pm Reply with quote
What about the rest of the series? Didn't they go back and remove that bounce problem?
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:01 pm Reply with quote
They remastered and rereleased volume 1 on DVD a few years ago. Aside from that, no. The "screen jiggle" is still there because that's how the masters are.
L337Llama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Are they going to put this these volumes in the box set too?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Huh... Newhype said they were making a point of fixing the bounce.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the renewal discs have the bouncing fixed, but I don't know about the r1 director's cut eps we're getting.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:43 pm Reply with quote
So we only get the remastered versions of the last six episodes (from what I've heard, only episodes 21-24had added scenes)? And have to live with the jiggle?

I wonder if the dvd cover art will be the same as the regular so I could just slip them into my box set.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion's twisted, no matter what the audio and video look like. Anyway, I'm still wondering if the following from http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0030417/bio is true, or a fan urban legend: "...At an anime convention in America, he had an interpreter and a Q & A session in which one fan expressed their disappointment[in Evangelion]. Anno took the microphone and said in straight English "Too bad."..."
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
"...At an anime convention in America, he had an interpreter and a Q & A session in which one fan expressed their disappointment[in Evangelion]. Anno took the microphone and said in straight English "Too bad."..."

It might've happened. Anno was at... Anime Expo 1996(?), which would've been roughly when Evangelion ended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Anno is a crazy crazy man. I believe that.

I believe that they'll have a smiliar cover or at least a similar spine so that they'll go with the boxset. Unless they plan on making a NEW boxset that includes the Director's Cut episodes, I'm going to buy the original first 6 DVDs and then get these ones, since I don't even have the series on DVD. A friend of mine lent me his boxset a long time ago (but the last 6 episodes were the edited versions that exist here now). I'm dying to watch the TV series over again.

I just think that ADV really blew it in the first place by not waiting for the last 6 episodes to be released unedited in Japan way back when they dubbed it and released the VHS tapes back in 1996/97/whenever. They should offer an apology to all the long-time Evangelion fans who have waited for this so long (but, no doubt they've already downloaded the Japanese versions and pirated those episodes somehow). Kinda like how Manga Ent. took so damn long to release the movies... by the time they were released, all the hardcore Eva fans had already seen them fansubbed!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Vekou:
Quote:
I just think that ADV really blew it in the first place by not waiting for the last 6 episodes to be released unedited in Japan way back when they dubbed it and released the VHS tapes back in 1996/97/whenever.

I don't think they knew that Anno would be greedy enough to sell the same series with useless footage. Hell, I'm betting the only reason he's even bothering is to pay off his audit.

Quote:
They should offer an apology to all the long-time Evangelion fans who have waited for this so long (but, no doubt they've already downloaded the Japanese versions and pirated those episodes somehow).

Shouldn't Gainax apologize for being such a-holes about excessive licensing fees?

Quote:
Kinda like how Manga Ent. took so damn long to release the movies... by the time they were released, all the hardcore Eva fans had already seen them fansubbed

Again, Gainax is stingy about the types of materials they allowed Manga to use. It's like ADV getting flack for Toei not letting them have one effin' episode off of Sailor Moon, despite them paying for an entire season. (Two, in fact.) Hell, I feel sorry for the Japanese fans that pay more for Spirited Away than us, only to get an inferior picture. I don't care how bad the yen is deflated right now. They're still con artists masquerading behind legitimate corporations. At least yakuza are honest about ripping people off.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:31 pm Reply with quote
At AWA, the represntative at the ADV panel stated that the new DVD's will fit into the Box Set.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:13 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
At AWA, the represntative at the ADV panel stated that the new DVD's will fit into the Box Set.

Yeah, I was like, the first to ask them about that. Basically, these are going to be re-releases of volumes 7 & 8. I just hope they do some different packaging so we'll be able to distinguish them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:28 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

good! like posted above... I'm just gonna replace the originals with the new one's Smile I wonder how much re-dubbing is going to be done, or if the new footage is parts that don't require dialogue?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:44 am Reply with quote
If I recall, ADV said that they managed to get back all the original dub cast members that had speaking roles in the new footage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3