• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika, Jin-Roh to Come to High-Def Disc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm curious why there's such a delay in the US release of Paprika both on DVD and Blu-Ray. The title's already been released here in Australia on both formats (a friend brought it over to my place on the weekend on DVD and I saw the Blu-Ray version in my local DVD store today). Is it still in cinemas in the US or something? It's very unusual when Australia gets a release ahead of the US (case in point, the Transformers movie was out here a week before the US release), and that it's over two months ahead of the US release is unheard of.
Za_randomness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
Ya, it is a bit odd.
The price for Jin-Roh shocked me. How far does Bandai think they can support their normative pricing? (For that matter, how long are we?) It's against pretty much every bit of decent economic sense I know of. (Which, granted, I only took one course in.)
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
And which company here demonstrates actual familiarity with American market forces?

I saw Paprika in a theater a bit more than a month ago, so it may still be in circulation. That hasn't stopped movies from being released more promptly on DVD in the past, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
The delay could be related to Madhouse being wary on reverse importation, or Sony having to negotiate extra hard for the Blu Ray version of the film. And considering I can still get Jin Roh for $15 at DVDEmpire, I wonder who BV thinks they're kidding charging me almost six times that amount for the same thing on Blu Ray.

Key:
Quote:
And which company here demonstrates actual familiarity with American market forces?

Seriously. Hey kids, want to pay $80 for arthouse movies which you might be bored watching, or would you rather check out this psychedelic psychological thriller for half that price? Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, just wow. BV puts out a movie, High-def only, $80. Sony at the same time puts out a new movie, $39. Do the people at BV read english? I have trouble believing that there numbers are that good to justify such things, but I don't know maybe I am wrong, there flying of the shelves like hotcakes folks.

Anyway I am really glad Praprika is coming out, and I am glad it is not BV releasing it. I will be getting the standard version, but it is good to know that a high-def edition exists for when I finally do upgrade.

And I already have the Bandai Entertainment version of Jin-Roh anyway.

Also wasn't Praprika dubbed in like nine different languages. Any word on whether Sony will include any of those on these releases?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Here in Spain we already have the UMD and Blu-Ray of Paprika and the DVD version will be out this 27. Too bad theres no Deluxe edition with storyboards and stuff, I wuold have bought that one.

Rolando Jose
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
This is a PERFECT example of why it's so hard to convince many anime fans today to not pirate their collections-the pricing is out of control and the content is extremely late even in the US. Paprika, the cheaper of the two, is still about 130% more expensive than the average new release on Blu-Ray, and it's been out internationally in both formats for months.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
To answer the OP, yes, Paprika is still making the rounds in theaters. It's not in any significant release at this point any more, but it's still going around from art house to art house and such.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
This is a PERFECT example of why it's so hard to convince many anime fans today to not pirate their collections-the pricing is out of control and the content is extremely late even in the US. Paprika, the cheaper of the two, is still about 130% more expensive than the average new release on Blu-Ray, and it's been out internationally in both formats for months.

If you want to take a handful of examples and then say "see this is why we pirate everything!" then you may want something better than a handful of high-priced niche releases on next-gen formats. You're talking about the limited output of one company.

And you're completely wrong about Blu-Ray prices. MSRP for most of them is $29.99-$39.99. Stores sell them for $24.99-$34.99.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Visual USA is using the following to justify the hefty price, apparently. From their press release.

AoD wrote:
* Complete 522-page storyboards book (Japanese)

... Yeah, really.

I love Jin-Roh, but I'm more than satisfied with the limited edition that Bandai Entertainment put out years ago. Not making the move to the next generation format anytime soon. Oh, and yeah, the eighty dollar price point is retarded.

I'm done with them. Supported their limited editions of the first two Patlabor films (best releases in R1 ever, no question), went ahead with the Gunbuster release in spite of audio issues with episode one, and grudgingly picked up Gunbuster 2 and The Wings of Honneamise. But even a sucker like me has a line that cannot be crossed.

I can only hope beyond all hope that they never pick up anything that I'm interested in unless they change their ways. Either become more grounded in reality or ship out, bottom line.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Also wasn't Praprika dubbed in like nine different languages. Any word on whether Sony will include any of those on these releases?

It may not mean much, but DVD Pacific's listing indicates that the English dub will be included.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Sony's site says we get a commentary for Paprika!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The sad thing is that after watching Jin-Roh on Encore Action last night, I'd like to see the film in hi-def because it seems like so much of the artwork was washed out in the contrasting blacks of its heavy shadows.

Unfortunately, it's out of my price range, and that's a shame because Mamoru Oshii's original material is incredible. Some friends and I watched Red Spectacles the other week and it was a blast!
Ariolander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Soooooo... No HD-DVD then eh?

I am out of luck. Not buying a PS3 any time soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
thecactusman17 wrote:

If you want to take a handful of examples and then say "see this is why we pirate everything!" then you may want something better than a handful of high-priced niche releases on next-gen formats. You're talking about the limited output of one company.

And you're completely wrong about Blu-Ray prices. MSRP for most of them is $29.99-$39.99. Stores sell them for $24.99-$34.99.

That's also the MSRP for most standard definition anime DVDs. The pricing on anime is so over the top on most new and old releases that it's ridiculous. Who can justify an expense double that (or more) of the average no-budget art film, much less the major releases.

Combined with late release times and voice acting that's often sub-par even for network television cartoons, it's a hell of a demand and so it's really no surprise that piracy is the new method of viewing anime.

That could change, easily, if anime companies changed their business strategy. Offering cheap advance sub-only copies of shows for download mere weeks or days after their television premiere, or even looking at a Youtube ad revenue model might cut profits, but it would also heavily cut expenses and attract a huge audience that currently looks for anime on shelves only at a library or to find older releases with minimal seeding.

Oh, and Ariolander, Paprika is unlikely to ever hit HD-DVD unless Sony utterly loses the market to HD-DVD. And unless I am mistaken, I suspect Sony has a fair amount of stock in Bandai as well, so don't expect to see much Hd-DVD output from them either. Not that any of us could afford it anyway.[/b]
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote
Hah, Paprika just opened at a theatre here in Baltimore. Let's see Pirates of the Carribean stick around this long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2