• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gunbuster vs. Diebuster's English Site, Trailer Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Is this worth getting, or should I hold out and save up for boxsets of each of the individual series?
ruro niko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know if the compilation work for the two series into the movies are any good. I don't know how well cutting each down to 90 min would work.

Still, I want that Noriko and Nono figure.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I also am curious to know how the two series Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 are merged to make this "movie." Are they really cut down to half the running time, and how does that work?

This set comes with figures? How do you know? EDIT: nevermind it's on BVUSA's website. They come with the Limited Edition only for 20 bucks more.

I will also laugh when almost no one buys this product because it's probably not going to be available anywhere except from Bandai Visual's website direct.

Although Rightstuf does have this product listed. I'm curious, how can they obtain it when Bandai Visual has no distributor?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

Although Rightstuf does have this product listed. I'm curious, how can they obtain it when Bandai Visual has no distributor?

I believe they're going through Brocolli for the time being.

The idea behind the two movies is that yes, the runtime is cut down for each of them. Gunbuster has no additional footage, but they went back and rerecorded all of the dialouge with the original VAs to make a new 5.1 mix. I also beleive that they cropped everything to a 16:9 ratio in Japan and made a mixed 4:3/B&W 16:9 version (considering the last episode) and that we're getting the 4:3 one, which is somewhat bad because it's inconsistient.

Then again, cropping, blah, I dont know or care.

The Diebuster movie, I'm not sure if they re-recorded it or not but they did put in another three or so minutes of footage.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Is this worth getting, or should I hold out and save up for boxsets of each of the individual series?

I haven't seen these, but I like the pacing of the original OVAs. Regardless of what people are saying about the price, too, I love my Gunbuster 2 DVDs. They have great booklets and video quality far above most anime discs.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
I haven't seen these, but I like the pacing of the original OVAs. Regardless of what people are saying about the price, too, I love my Gunbuster 2 DVDs. They have great booklets and video quality far above most anime discs.

And I'd trade both of those "features" for a sensible price point and a kick-ass (emphasis on kick-ass!) English dub.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
Quite interesting news there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's an awesome set! I hope Honneamise release all their great sets over here in Europe eventually :[
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Xenofan 29A wrote:

And I'd trade both of those "features" for a sensible price point and a kick-ass (emphasis on kick-ass!) English dub.

The price point on the DVDs was sensible. It's higher than normal, yes, but it's not unreasonable. $40 for 2 OVA episodes means $120 for 6 OVA episodes, which were the result of 3 years of work. In Japan, the discs cost $50 each, which adds up to $300. Granted, I don't think I'd be able to get myself to pay that. The Honneamise release is one of the jewels in my collection.

I understand that you'd like a dub, and I'd like you to understand that I don't care. This isn't to devalue dubs. I know that a lot of people can't stand subtitles, or they want to hear things in their native language. However, I never really have any motivation to watch dubbed anime, unless I'm with a friend who dislikes subtitles.

If there's one thing I would have liked, though, it would be a slipcase or something for the three discs. More Sadamoto artwork, and it'd look nice on my shelf.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
This probably won't get dubbed either...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1