• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Dōjinshi Chain Launches Online Download Store

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedrowear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
any chance in hell there will be English translations available???
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Whew man, that was a pain to sign up there... They wanted everything in both kanji and kata - not easy to do...

Anyway, I dont see any English translations there yet on anything, they only accept Japan addresses for signing up, and it looks like they send out an address verification letter to the physical address used in order to do mail order. I will have to see if I can buy a few of the downloads beforehand.

*Edit* Dont look at this site from work unless you can lock the door...
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow I have to say maybe my perceptions of doujinshi were a little naive, at least if what Toranoana's offering is a safe reflection.

I've only seen what's in doujinshi boxes at conventions (usually hentai or yaoi) but I've heard a bit about Comiket, and the impression I was getting was that the spectrum of genres of doujinshi went beyond those categories and into things like adventure or horror, like fanfiction in the west.

But I didn't see one "all-age" offering on Toranoana's site and that was really disappointing.

Could someone who's more experienced with the Japanese doujinshi scene offer some insight?
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Doujinshi are done by Japanese fans for Japanese fans. They are unofficial publications that operate in the gray area of Japanese copyright law. As such, unless the Japanese circle/mangaka/whatever makes an English version of their doujinshi, there's not going to be an English version. Also, you can't officially license what isn't officially created either, so no chance of getting an English translation that way.

Time to learn Japanese, eh? Wink
galexia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
There is a large chunck of doujinshi that is hentai in nature. I tend to gravitate towards "gag" doujinshi based around Sailor Moon. Sometimes a circle like Hello World will do gag, serious, and hentai/ecchi doujinshi. In general it seems like there are more doujinshi which rest of the edge of general audiences and "ecchi." This is however, based upon what I've seen at cons, Comiket (online), and Yahoo JP. I know that sometimes creators distribute limited runs of artbooks or sketchbooks as doujinshi. I guess it all just depends on going to a site that is likely to cater to your needs.
Shousetsuka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Crap on a stick, really? I used to shop at Toranoana all the time, and it's my favorite of all the anime stores. I wonder though, will all the doujinshi been hentai, or will there be gag, serious, and yaoi there as well? I don't have official numbers, but isn't it about even when it comes to the hentai/yaoi divide? I thought it was when I was at Comiket anyway...
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
One Glance and I already see DLsite #2
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
from Site wrote:
あなたは18歳以上ですか?

Oh boy. Laughing With the "Yes"/"No" question -- obvious what's in there. Twisted Evil
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote
galexia wrote:
There is a large chunck of doujinshi that is hentai in nature.
Talk about your understatements. That's like saying a large chunk of the Pacific Ocean is salty water. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1