• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2004 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:02 am Reply with quote
man all those shows suck, who picks this stuff? Mezzo. not trying to start an argument or something but come on, there had to be some better choices.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:05 am Reply with quote
Come on, you can't tell me that a show where, "Literally every female character in the show is cursed with breasts that look as though they’re suffering from Elephantiasis" doesn't sound like quality. Misaki Chronicle Divergence Eve sounds awesome. I feel for Zac...I really, really do...
Neilworms

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:03 am Reply with quote
Wow... I'm stunned... I usually think zac is way too easy on shows and even these were too much for him. I'm blown away. It seems to me that the only good TV show on the horizon is Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent or Shinichiro Watanabe's Samurai Champloo.... other than that it seems to be one big terrible "I'm so horney and will never get real women" fanservice contest.

A word of advice... focus on the anime FILMS coming out next year not so much the TV series.... at least 2004 has a lot to look forward too in that regard. There are films like Tokyo Godfathers, Howl's Moving Castle, Steamboy etc... that's where the innovation is.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
Wow... I'm stunned... I usually think zac is way too easy on shows and even these were too much for him.

This is the first time anyone has ever accused me of being too easy on anything.

-Z
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:21 am Reply with quote
Gah I tottaly predicted this would be a season o crap.

Maybe im just becoming jaded but for the most part I agreed with Zac on this most of the shows this season suck seriusly. Thank god theres still eps of shows i liked from last season to make this season bearble plus the glut of "about time" dvd releases coming out on this side of the pond(Memories,Saikano etc).

I think the reason Zac reviews the Tv shows instead of the movies is there alot easyer to get ahead of time since some person in jp will vidcap it and in a matter of hours a raw is floating around then in some more hourse theres a fansub. Were for a a movie well compared to a US movie bootleg Japanese Movies are alot harder to get decent copys of until the DVD is released its not like he can get screener copys of them from the japanese cinima houses (i dont know maybe he can Im just guessing its more likely he cant).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:22 am Reply with quote
... *thinks she's only going to download Mezzo* ... What a dissapointing looking season. Looks like I'll continue to watch only two shows this time as well. *Yay Chrno Crusade and FMA!* ... *stares again at the new shows* ... ugh.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
when's the second season of gits going to premiere. I haven't even seen the first season yet. that might be something to look forward to.

I watched the promo of Yumeria: that girl sayng "mone" all the time needs to be shot. It might beat boredom nonetheless.

Maybe there's a written rule that for every percentage of good animation there is a mutliple of crap.

Oh wait maybe that's the "90% of everything is crap" rule.
ah, there's a thread somewhere about this
:: goes rummaging through the boards. ::
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote
SkullKnight wrote:

Maybe there's a written rule that for every percentage of good animation there is a mutliple of crap.

Oh wait maybe that's the "90% of everything is crap" rule.
ah, there's a thread somewhere about this
:: goes rummaging through the boards. ::

I noticed that the guide is actually 50/50 "this is okay" versus "this makes you want to put yourself and your family and friends out of misery with a rusty screwdriver". Everything that wasn't a jiggle show was OK. Not great, but OK. Nothing groundbreaking. Here's to high hopes for Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The "90% of everthing is crap" rule is Sturgeon's Law, named after an SF writer. Theodore Sturgeon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
rektagunn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote
wonder what happened to the "he says....she says" format??
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote
And all was laid to burnination.

Geez...the only shows I'm interested in is Mezzo and possibly Area 88. Now I understand what Zac was talking about these shows with all fan service and no substance. It's crap. I'm happy with Chrno Crusade for now and I'm looking forward to Samurai Champloo as well.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that Area 88 turned out well enough, as I'm one of the people who watched the original OAV (and am a huge fan of the SNES game based on it, UN Squadron).

Otherwise, I'd like to say I'm highly disappointed. I see a long list of shows that'll have forgettable characters and blase storylines, yet for some reason we're going to get fanboys singing their praises as the next big thing.

Argh! I'm going to go watch "Mihoshi Falls From the Land of Stars" so I can remember what GOOD fanservicey anime is like.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
The "90% of everthing is crap" rule is Sturgeon's Law, named after an SF writer. Theodore Sturgeon?

Correct. I highly recomend reading his novels and his short stories. He is an outstanding writer.
tetsusaiga-kyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote
This looks like a hentai lovers season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryuko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I was amused by how GIGANTICALLY HUGE the text that said it was only a review of the first episode had to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2