• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: R.O.D. TV box details

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VenomRaven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I will not buy R.O.D here in the states.

After seeing ROD the TV, (yes all 26 episodes) on fansub (I wont say where I got it though) I must say that I was dissapointed with the plot and characters

Ill go into detail, WARNING SPOILERS!!!
spoiler[From the begining of the series, the main focus is NOT The Paper, Ms.Deep, and Anderson, Instead it follows 3 sisters who are Paper users, as they protect someone who used to be close to Yomiko.Turns out some chinese company (Who is now supeior to the british libary) want to kidnap This girl and force her to be smart? The Joker is Evil now? Yumiko is in hiding, Wendy is not only smart, but a bitch? ]

All in all, I was very dissapointed with the new series, (I wanna compare it to Final Fantasy Unlimited, but thats too harsh) The plot progress tooooo slowly, most questions are never really answered. so your left going "Ok, thats the way it is.... TELL ME WHY!" And there are very few "badass" moments anymore, which is heartbreaking

I am warning you all, Rent it BEFORE you buy it, I might save you the 100+ bucks
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:09 am Reply with quote
thats pretty harsh bringing FFU into the mix.

it wasnt that bad. Its still good but not the best I had see that season.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
it wasnt that bad. Its still good but not the best I had see that season.

I agree with this. It's not the best thing I've ever seen, but I'm twelve episodes in so far and really enjoying it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sun007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Something unique!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:53 am Reply with quote
The problem is, when they announce a super-flashy box, this can mean two things. Either

1. The series blows, and they need to get as many sales in as possible. A Fancy VOlume 1 + box in this nature has been done before (Hi SDK), or

2. The series is really amazing, and deserves an amazing box+extras.

I'll buy the LE I think, but only watch the first disc once, then put it back. If I'm paticularly under impressed, I'll leave it alone and keep it in good nick, and sell it when/if it goes on TV and the availability of the box goes down, and the overall price goes up Smile
LTGMars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote
The first four episodes is a bad gauge of the rest of the series. The first episode has some killer action that you'll see later on, but the next few episodes are used for character development, so they'll seem really slow. Things don't start picking up until about episode 10 or so, but from then on, it's all quite exciting.

I'm going to buy the series, but that's because 1) I'm a die-hard R.O.D fan, 2) I've seen the entire series and know what I'm getting into, and 3) I already promised myself that I'd do this. I personally think it's worth the money, but if you're expecting what you saw in the OVA, you might be slightly disappointed - things are spaced out a bit more, and it isn't exactly jam-packed with action. Nevertheless, there's some great character development in the TV series that couldn't happen in the OVA since the OVA was so short, so it might be worth your time.

I'd recommend it as a definite watch, if not buy, for those who are willing to wait for lots of action and Yomiko-Nancy-Drake goodness, but your best bet, if you're not sure about the series, is to rent before buying. Rent the first few DVDs if the very first one doesn't quench your thirst, since the series kicks off the ground very gradually. Once you get an idea of what the series will be like (this doesn't happen until the double-digits, and it gets progressively better from there), then you can decide what to do with bigger amounts of your money.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what kind of art box Dirty Pair will get (still waiting.....)
at any rate, ROD has been getting good reviews by the Yuri fans *shrugs*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1