• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gary Oldman Discusses Offer for Akira Role

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I know DKR is probably gonna eclipse a lot of movie news, but I'm still surprised AICN didn't report that one.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
This article is very misleading. Since when is "a few questions" one throw away question at the end of a Dark Knight Rises interview that's answered rather flippantly like an afterthought? Not that I'm disappointed, since the parts about the Dark Knight Rises are of interest to me, but to the vast minority that's still interested in news on live action Akira, this tidbit was not news worthy. Sometimes it's not in one's best interest to grasp at straws...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
If Oldman actually signs on for Akira it would make me feel a whole lot better about the project.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
kaokishii: It's newsworthy, because it might mean WB is just throwing out names, and isn't really serious about the project.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
Gary, Gary, Gary. I love your work, sir, but you need to stay away from this clunker. Think about it. They just offered the lead roles to two cardboard standees; Kristen Stewart and Garrett Hedlund. Ugh.

Plus, you're very likely about to be nominated for an Oscar next year for 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy'; hope you win. Then, you're in one of the most highly anticipated films of 2012; 'Dark Knight Rises'. You want 'Akira' to be the follow-up to all of that?

ikillchicken wrote:
If Oldman actually signs on for Akira it would make me feel a whole lot better about the project.

It would have to take the combined casting of Gary Oldman, Don Cheadle, Colin Firth, Ken Leung, Geoffrey Rush, Helen Mirren, Aaron Paul, Sung Kang and John Cho to "make me feel a whole lot better about the project".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
Gary Oldman should perform in the Death Note movie. He kind of resembles Watari already, and in the Nolan Batman movies, he made me think of Soichiro.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
leafy: Actually, I think he'd do a better job as L's dad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1