• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Project A-Kon to Attempt Guinness Game Cosplay Record

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
*ponders if he can do the Paperboy cosplay*

A-kon will be even more video game-centered this year rather than anime, at least, cosplay wise.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The current verified record in the Guinness World Records is 80 cosplayers who assembled at the Millennium Bridge in London on March 18.

What? That small handful of characters I saw actually broke the record?
I think that statistic was exaggerated : There was a class of schoolchildren there all roughly dressed up as mario. They probably contributed a good 40% of that number, most likely without having a clue what was going on.
I digress. Here's hoping that this A-Kon thing succeeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
osakanodaioh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
I'll be doing a Pyro cosplay from Team Fortress 2...I don't see too many of those around Smile especially with a flame thrower
Gage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
80 seems like a low number to me so I think it's quite possible for this record to be broken, considering we're in America and cosplaying has grown here over the years. Perhaps 80 is a high number? I've never been to a convention so I don't really know, unfortunately.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Good, because 80 was totally pathetic.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure 80 has already been broken unofficially. I can see this becoming a contest between conventions.
RMC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, I'm glad you posted this. I hadn't realized they were going to try and break the Cosplay record this year. This is good to know since I've been accepted as a volunteer. You'll probably see me taking your money or running around doing whatever they want me to.

So thanks again! Very Happy This should make A-Kon really fun, even if they don't break the official record.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
80 cosplayers? That's pretty lame. I've seen more in one hour at a number of anime cons.

Then there's also the stupid 'game' cosplay stipulation. So I guess Fate Stay Night would qualify? Would they count if someone shows up in an anime costume by mistake? This record sounds like bunk.

For example, and I know it's not from a game, but if someone gets a red robe and white wig, does that make them an Inuyasha cosplayer? Does it matter if any effort was put into it?

Meh. I prefer quality over quantity in cosplay.
Zivil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
I'm sure 80 has already been broken unofficially.

I'm certain that unofficial (or rather official) is the key element here. Guinness has relatively strict rules governing their judging. I believe that the attempt must be declared and submitted to Guinness before the activity is undertaken and the submission must be made with enough lead time for Guinness to schedule the judging or witnessing of the event, often several months in advance.

The Xenos wrote:
Would they count if someone shows up in an anime costume by mistake? ...I know it's not from a game, but if someone gets a red robe and white wig, does that make them an Inuyasha cosplayer? Does it matter if any effort was put into it?

I believe the stipulation for "originating in a game" is likely a big factor also with 80 being the current record. Even though there may have been a few hundred cosplayers at any given large con, how many of those originated in a game. Many cosplay creations were of characters may have been made into game characters after the anime became popular.

I'm sure many of them did originate in games, but I would bet that any costume based on a character originating in anime or manga (or movies or live action TV for that matter) were probably disqualified.

Guinness, as I understand the process, sticks pretty closely to the wording... kind of like legaleze. Maybe not exactly to the letter of the law, but pretty darn close.

Sorry about any spelling mistake, I'm having a little vision problem (that I hope to have cleared up in a couple of weeks) and I'm having a really hard time getting used to this computer magnifier thingy!
osakanodaioh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well according the rules, they'll have to verify the game you're coming from, and it has to be a char that appeared in video games FIRST, instead of any char that was ever used and adopted from other sources to become a video game char.
hogkill3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah there's not doubt 80 is just an official number. There was definitely more than 80 Naruto cosplayers at last years anime north, let alone total cosplayers.
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Well the first thing to know is that Guinness has a Gamer’s Edition of their Record Book -
http://gamers.guinnessworldrecords.com/

And that’s why the focus is on video game characters because this is actually a video game record and not an anime record from the view point of Guinness. It just happens to be that anime conventions are the best source for cosplay and since A-Kon’s the oldest running US anime con, why not go for the record. A-Kon already has a lot of gaming to begin with.

BTW the costumes will be checked because we really want to win this so there will be no silliness like 50 people sitting in cardboard boxes saying they’re cosplaying as Snake from Metal Gear Solid. But yes the characters have to come from a video game first to be eligible, so Final Fantasy works fine but Naruto doesn’t
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ex_mutants wrote:
But yes the characters have to come from a video game first to be eligible, so Final Fantasy works fine but Naruto doesn’t

What about characters created specifically for the games who never show up in the anime?
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
ex_mutants wrote:
But yes the characters have to come from a video game first to be eligible, so Final Fantasy works fine but Naruto doesn’t

What about characters created specifically for the games who never show up in the anime?

Any game character works fine even if they never show up in any place else like anime or manga.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ex_mutants wrote:
Zoe wrote:
ex_mutants wrote:

Any game character works fine even if they never show up in any place else like anime or manga.

I think Zoe meant for anime-based video games where the game has a unique, made-up character (like Arturo in the GC/Wii Bleach fighting game).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2