• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Yutaka Yamamoto Talks About Lucky Star Firing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Let me guess, the guy was asking too much money or he was fliriting with the producer.

I am guessing money though, some people are so greedy these days.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Let me guess, the guy was asking too much money or he was fliriting with the producer.

As far as I know there was no rumor about him asking too much; there were, however, rumors about him flirting with not the producer but *someone else* though.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am guessing money though, some people are so greedy these days.

If it was all about payment then I'd call it weird to summon someone to the company at 11 PM just to inform him about the layoff. Much more like a damage control scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or after he left, the series seemed to get more interesting?
mythus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

it did, when i rewatch lucky star, i usually start from ep 4+
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
Back when the series was originally airing, the stated reason at that time for him being fired was that he was following the structure of the manga too closely, and the executives didn't like that, so they got rid of him and found another director to go at the series, which is why I stopped watching it shortly after episode 4. Though, I still plan on buying the rest of it.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
mythus wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

it did, when i rewatch lucky star, i usually start from ep 4+

That's why I am waiting for my LS Vol 2 order to come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
I say good riddance. Episodes 1-4 were the dregs of the series. Granted, the show as a whole is awesome and even the bad episodes have their merits, but the second volume, 5-8 is going to be THE reason why people want to watch Lucky Star. Those episodes have always been my favorite and are a much better representation of Lucky Star as a whole. I'm glad this guy got canned. The show was better for it without him.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
The show was better for it without him.

Just curious: do you like its OP dance and the ED dance of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
i enjoyed ep.1-4 but yea it is the weaker ones in the series
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:

Just curious: do you like its OP dance and the ED dance of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?

Yeah yeah, I like them just fine. I'm just saying that after he left the show became a lot better. Whether or not that happened as a direct result of him getting fired doesn't matter much to me. It happened, the show got better, whats done is done. Thank you very much and please no one pm me just to answer a random forum question again.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The OP dance rules. The characters are cuter, and I never really got what the whole thing about Haruhi was, so I definetly go for the Lucky Star OP dance.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
dormcat wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:

Yeah yeah, I like them just fine. I'm just saying that after he left the show became a lot better. Whether or not that happened as a direct result of him getting fired doesn't matter much to me. It happened, the show got better, whats done is done. Thank you very much and please no one pm me just to answer a random forum question again.

The reason dormcat asked this question is because Yamamoto single-handedly envisioned, created, chronographed and directed the cult dance sequences of both Haruhi and Lucky Star - and both of which can be argued to be a very big contribution to the meme and viral quality of the shows on the internet, of which both leading to the numerous MADs, imutations and parodies etc. It's not just a random forum question.
rg4619

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Back when the series was originally airing, the stated reason at that time for him being fired was that he was following the structure of the manga too closely, and the executives didn't like that, so they got rid of him and found another director to go at the series

AFAIK, that was just fan speculation.

Kyoto Animation never gave a detailed reason for the change, nor has Yamamoto revealed what led to his firing. They just announced (in a very bluntly worded message by Japanese standards) that he wasn't ready for the position of director.

Yamamoto is perceived to be the driving force behind the success of Haruhi (not just because of the dance, but also Ep. 1 and the overall series structure), so his departure is certainly significant.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:
The reason dormcat asked this question is because Yamamoto single-handedly envisioned, created, chronographed and directed the cult dance sequences of both Haruhi and Lucky Star - and both of which can be argued to be a very big contribution to the meme and viral quality of the shows on the internet, of which both leading to the numerous MADs, imutations and parodies etc. It's not just a random forum question.

Quoted for truth. Now, outlawwolf and other naysayers, can you still honestly say "the show was better for it without him"? Twisted Evil

And don't forget that his layoff brought the musician away as well, who joined Yamamoto's team of Kannagi.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Now, outlawwolf and other naysayers, can you still honestly say "the show was better for it without him"?

Yes. Absolutely.

That's the funny thing... we can say whatever we like. Especially when it's true and the evidence for it is as plain as day.

First 4 episodes of Lucky Star = Suck.

Yamamoto fired = Necessary.

Sorry if you aren't able to accurately process that beneath your rampant fanboyism, to decry a good decision made in firing him, but the fact of the matter is that not only did the show improve without him, but it continues to exist and do just fine without him.

Case closed, the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2