• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films to Reissue Battle Angel Anime on DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud1989

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
cool, I liked this one but this is one licence I thought I would never get on dvd, still need cardcaptor and sailor moon.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Cool, all I have is the VHS. But I don't have a working VCR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Woot. Isn't this suppose to be hard to find? I won't have to look further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kvicksilver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
That's pretty nice, there were good OVAs, though it was a shame there were only two of them, as the manga goes on way further and gets pretty amazing.

I wonder what they'll charge for the re-release.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote
Kvicksilver wrote:
I wonder what they'll charge for the re-release.

Probably the standard of between $25 and $30. Anyway, I'm really happy about this, I generally don't get in print DVDs because I'm so busy buying OOP ones but I might pick this up.
Ask John
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
Hey folks, ADV has now informed us that a very small quantity of original pressing Battle Angel DVDs will be re-released, but they're not a new replication.

John Oppliger
AnimeNation.com
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Coolness! I never had the chance I watch this. Guess I'll grab it now and put it on the shelf next to my (I almost died watching) 'Key the Metal Idol' as part of my artificial heroines collection.

Personally, I'm getting tired of hearing about 'Cameron' and him "supposedly" doing a live action version. It's been like what...a gajillion years now. Either he's going to do it or he isn't. Shouldn't say you are and then take forever to decide if you want to do it or not. Cause from where I'm looking it doesn't even look like he is. And folks are tired of waiting and hearing about it. And what's this 'Avatar' movie he's doing? So what we got two now. Does this have any relation to the 'Avatar' movie that 'M. Night Shyamalama ding-dong is doing?

But that's good news. Now if they only reissue the 'Dirty Pair' movies I'll be happy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Personally, I'm getting tired of hearing about 'Cameron' and him "supposedly" doing a live action version. It's been like what...a gajillion years now. Either he's going to do it or he isn't. Shouldn't say you are and then take forever to decide if you want to do it or not. Cause from where I'm looking it doesn't even look like he is.

Cameron himself may have lost interest now in favor of something new and exciting. It was new and exciting to him years ago when he first got it (and before he did Dark Angel).

Unfortunately, that's how it's done in Hollywood. They pay big money to get exclusive rights for a number of years while they try to develop the idea into film, which could take years.

Chrno2 wrote:

And folks are tired of waiting and hearing about it. And what's this 'Avatar' movie he's doing? So what we got two now. Does this have any relation to the 'Avatar' movie that 'M. Night Shyamalama ding-dong is doing?

Nothing to do with each other; that's why the latter had to be renamed The Last Airbender.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
So wait, ADV actually got the rights to Battle Angel Alita back from Cameron or it just a temporary lease before the rights go back to him?
archaron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I bought it on rightstuf yesterday for about $12.

link:
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/owPzb99xj3GjtmxgBA/browse/item/32373/4/0/0
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:
Hey folks, ADV has now informed us that a very small quantity of original pressing Battle Angel DVDs will be re-released, but they're not a new replication.

John Oppliger
AnimeNation.com

So does that mean the "10,000 copies" figure is totally bogus?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Ask John wrote:

John Oppliger
AnimeNation.com

So does that mean the "10,000 copies" figure is totally bogus?

Sure sounds like it!

So I guess in the future, whenever ADV says anything to anyone, we must wait about 4 days for the to issue a correction so we know what they MEANT to say.

Not that I'm complaining about there being some Battle Angel Alita running around. That anime rocked my childhood Smile.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Personally, I'm getting tired of hearing about 'Cameron' and him "supposedly" doing a live action version. It's been like what...a gajillion years now. Either he's going to do it or he isn't. Shouldn't say you are and then take forever to decide if you want to do it or not. Cause from where I'm looking it doesn't even look like he is.

Cameron himself may have lost interest now in favor of something new and exciting. It was new and exciting to him years ago when he first got it (and before he did Dark Angel).

Unfortunately, that's how it's done in Hollywood. They pay big money to get exclusive rights for a number of years while they try to develop the idea into film, which could take years.

Chrno2 wrote:

And folks are tired of waiting and hearing about it. And what's this 'Avatar' movie he's doing? So what we got two now. Does this have any relation to the 'Avatar' movie that 'M. Night Shyamalama ding-dong is doing?

Nothing to do with each other; that's why the latter had to be renamed The Last Airbender.

Ah. I see. Oh well...

I do like 'Cameron's work, I would have liked to have seen what he could have done. Y'know it's like ADV films is releasing the series without the boost. If you get what I mean. Like you get a movie and that helps do another release or the later. Like what 'Transformers' movie did for the animated feature. Or what I'm talking about doesn't always apply. But thanks for the info on that. Smile

Oh BTW, interesting avatar what show is it from?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I do like 'Cameron's work, I would have liked to have seen what he could have done. Y'know it's like ADV films is releasing the series without the boost. If you get what I mean. Like you get a movie and that helps do another release or the later. Like what 'Transformers' movie did for the animated feature. Or what I'm talking about doesn't always apply. But thanks for the info on that. Smile

Yeah, like what happened to Speed Racer and now Gotham Knight (the movie is sold out for the weekend, BTW, even the IMAX, damn). And you're welcome.

Chrno2 wrote:

Oh BTW, interesting avatar what show is it from?

The other week's episode of The Venture Bros. I love twins! Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:

John Oppliger
AnimeNation.com
Sounds like they found those whilst rumaging in the basement for something else, having forgot all about them. But the way they are losing licenses like a leper loses limbs, I bet they are going through a lot of dusty boxes to find something to re-release again. Wink I still have my VHS recording of BAA that I recorded off our Sci-Fi UK way back when. I'd love to get it on DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2