• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Gov't Hosts World Cosplay Summit Finalists

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
Who else is going? I'm totally gonna be there!

Okay... no one else. Fine. I'll take pictures assuming they are allowed at the event itself (I doubt it since I think it's televised).
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
USA is sooooo gonna get shafted again this year....
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I'd SO be trying to go if I was still in Japan... But I got home last month!

Rica Matsumoto AND Tohru Furuya? Man. I've missed Rica since Otakon 2003... I hope she'll come back to America sometime. (Not as JAM Project...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
haha i didn't know there was a global Cosplay Competition. Hey look! Mexico made the finals! Hope its the same results for the Olympics this year Smile
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Newsflash, the grand prize winner was Brazil, with a really impressive Bakuretsu Tenshi cosplay.

Japan's Osaka Team won a special prize, and so did China.

FYI, the US team obviously had a lot of fun, but seemed like they weren't really taking it as seriously as the other teams.

I was sitting behind a couple of mexicans (one who was actually named Pepe, how cliche) who spent the whole time waving a giant mexican flag in front of me (the only country to have a flag being waved, I might add). Dude, it's not a soccer match.

Although when Brazil won, the winning team's guy in the robot suit tore off his top robot suit, whipped out a brazillian flag, and shouted in triumph... he and his partner were totally thrilled.

All in all it was pretty decent, although I prefer a good masquerade at a con: Less butchered Japanese pronunciation and more humor Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1