• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime characters are most like yourself?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Meh. I saw a "favorite character" thread of someone's get shot down and thought, "It's a good question, I guess, but isn't very interesting," so I spun it a bit.

What anime characters do you watch and go "Oh, wow, that's so much like me!" or have traits that you strongly admire? Or, what characters remind you way too much of people you know or are related to?

Me, personally, I have a lot of answers, but the ONE character I've seen in an anime that's most like myself is from BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. I literally bought the show based on one episode featuring Maho. Because Maho is almost a carbon copy of myself. Same taste in fashion, same hair, except she layers hers more often, apparently, same rancid mouth and devil-may-care attitude, same aspirations to pursue film, same love for singing.

It was scary. I love Maho. She reminds me of me. Anime smallmouth
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
You flatter yourself! No one could come even close to being as badass as Maho! Laughing Just kidding.

I always thought I was a little like George from Paradise Kiss, because Im naturally overconfident and smug with myself, very driven, composed, and I've been told I've treated ex-girlfriends like trash. Not to mention I have a place where I hang out with friends everyday... even if we dont make clothes or do much of anything.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Almost every friend I've ever had agrees that I'm a carbon copy of Riza Hawkeye from Fullmetal Alchemist, although I don't entirely agree with that (I'm not nearly awesome enough!). I think it's because I'm naturally sort of quiet and serious, and in groups of my peers people tend to look up to me because I'm kind of mature for my age. I'm also very attached to my dog.

Personally, I think the anime character I'm most like is Reki from Haibane Renmei. I'm serious but big sisterly at the same time, and I love to paint. Also, I'm really stubborn about asking people for help with things Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kimiko hyuga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
all my friend think im like hinata from naruto..casue im shy and rather quiet and im afraid to talk to any boy that i like......but i think im more like misa from death note becasue i can get very serious and i can act deadly.im also called yuuki from vampire knight casue i care for people and i would do anythign ot protect then...and im also called tohru from fruits basket casue i act hyper and im always happy even though something bad has happened to me when i was little and im always so playful and curious

Last edited by kimiko hyuga on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I would say that in a way I'm like Rika from Higurashi no naku koro ni because I act happy and cheerful around others and strangers will think nicely of me but I have problems that only a select few truly know about. Now if only I was as cute as her Razz I would also say I'm as oblivious as Utena when it comes to knowing if people like me or not (Nanami anyone?)
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider myself to be like anyone, but a friend of mine says I'm like Haruhi from Ouran Koukou Host Club. Serious, logical, and yes, I'm totally oblivious to romantic advances. Plus, I often wear jeans and guys' shirts, plus I can cook. Can you say 'oddball?'
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you've seen The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya and are familliar with Kyon, that IS me in a nutshell. Nice, well-meaning, fairly smart academically and articulate and knowledgable about many trivial things but highly satirical and prone to thinking a great many things that luckily I don't speak out loud. Smile
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
This one's actually kind of hard for me, because along with being mostly a laid back and easy going nice guy, I can also be very smart aleck-y and sarcastic, and at times I can have some real anger issues and I'm actually a lot tougher a person with an attitude than one would expect me to be looking at me from the outside. But for the most part, my main personality is definitely within the laid back, easy going nice guy area. In which case I'm a lot like characters such as Alphonse Elric from FMA or Yoh Asakura from Shaman King at times, but if anything I'd like to say I'm kind of a combination of both Ed and Al from FMA, or another one would be maybe Yoh combined with another shounen hero, more along the lines of Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho or something (probably the shounen hero I'm most like, along with Yoh and Al that is Wink ). Or another example would be from Bleach, I'm kind of a combination of both Ichigo and Chad. In which case I really think the shounen character I'm like the most would definitely have to be Zoro from One Piece. A quiet tough guy who at the same time is very laid back and easy going. Wink

But taking all that out of consideration (also noting that I was mostly talking about shounen series there instead of anime in general Anime smile + sweatdrop ) if you were to take the main core of my persona, it's actually a fairly easy answer to this question. I believe that more than anyone else, I'm most like Hige from Wolf's Rain. Laid back, easy going, kind of lazy, and at the same time kind of sarcastic/smart aleck-y, all in one. Not to mention he's quite a tough little wolf himself. Wink He definitely I think is the very embodiment of the kind of person I am, and qutie frankly, it's also kind of freaky how similar I am to him...... Shocked

Another one to keep in mind I think is if you've ever seen episode 10 of Shigofumi, I'm VERY much like the uncle in that episode. Mostly in just how very much I can relate to him, in both his situations in life and his very way of thinking.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't know you in person, BE, but the way you write-talk reminds me of Hige... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

My little sister likes to compare herself to Kisa from Fruits Basket because they were born in the same Zodiac year, (she's a proud tiger, I'm an ambivalent horse) have similar-colored hair, are close to the same age, and had the same school problems. But since she first said that, she's become NOWHERE as demure as Kisa. Now she's a chirpy, bossy, kindhearted girl I'm happy to have as my sister, and I'm glad she's come out of her shell. I told her she's just a few steps ahead of Kisa.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I have the ability (for better or for worse) to really identify with most characters in some way or another. A character has to be really polarizing for me to just fail to find anything that reminds me of me. As such, it probably ends up being certain side characters which I most identify with since they get less exposure and there is a greater chance of the more limited personality shown lining up with me.

To talk about this difference a bit, a main character like Kei from Onegai Teacher might have traits that initially line up with me, but as the series goes on more traits appear that don't bring me to mind all. However, Herikawa, as a less exposed character remains steady throughout the series and any initial impressions are more likely to stick. (Both series and characters randomly picked here and don't have any strong bearing on my own person).

As such, the first character that reminds me of, well, me is one of Ichigo Kurosaki's (Bleach) sisters (who's name I don't even know... but she's the one with dark hair. Aand I think she is the eldest of the two sisters). She doesn't play a major role in the series (at least, not yet) and is more of an incidental character. But she is quiet and doesn't speak unless needed... and yet she is smart as a whip and understands what is going on. When her father and Ichigo have a tiff, she is the one who finds it all silly. Of course, the big difference between us is the fact that she is a she... and I'm not.

Momosuke from Requiem from the Darkness is another character I identify with. Unlike above, he actually is a main character. Although due to several faults in the series he has the same kind of character development as a side character. Still, I identify with the fact that his is an author (I aspire to write). Plus, his general blundering around and cluelessness is something I can empathize with. He's laid back, but kind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, my friend just compared me to Yotsuya from Maison Ikkoku except not perverted.

She said its because we have the same odd sense of humor (a mix of deadpan and enjoying seeing others misery at times, particuarly when we cause it), and we both just do things without any explaination that makes sense only to us. We also find it enjoyable to mooch off of people whenever possible (although our methods of mooching are different).

I was personally having trouble thinking of one myself, but I'd actually say that Yotsuya might indeed be the only anime character even close to me. I don't look anything like him physically though. I also don't drink at all.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, I don't know you in person, BE, but the way you write-talk reminds me of Hige... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Heh, yeah, I've actually been told that before by others as well. Anime smile + sweatdrop And I'm also sure if you were ever to meet me in real life you'd be able to see it even more.
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
I'd say I most resemble the type of character similar to Seiji from Midori Days, or Otaki from Ah! My Goddess (If you've seen the 5'th episode of Season 2). I can be a bit intimidating on the outside (I've occasionally been stopped by mall security and been told that I was making other shoppers uncomfortable due to my very presence in the mall. The security guards are usually good about it though, and understand that the public is full of judgemental idiots and I understand that they're only confronting me because the person who made the complaint is probably looking on and we have to make a show of it.) But along with all that, I'm awful around girls and between being too shy to ask anyone out, and too intimidating to make it easy for them to approach, I've been forever single despite my extremely unthreatening personality and my tendancy to bend over backwards for the girls I like to the point of it being a fault.
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
As such, the first character that reminds me of, well, me is one of Ichigo Kurosaki's (Bleach) sisters (who's name I don't even know... but she's the one with dark hair. Aand I think she is the eldest of the two sisters).

You mean Kurosaki Karin :3
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
For better or worse I'd say I'm kind of like Misato Katsuragi from Eva. I'm supposed to be a positive role model and motherly type but I'm really a totally twisted slob. Though, like Misato, my heart is always in the right place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4