• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Hunter Robin Contest

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellomojo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote
I have to admit I am a little annoyed at Bandai. I recieved my prize for the Witch Hunter Robin Contest but my great award was volume one. If that was not bad enough I was not privliged enough to get a copy wrapped in plastic and my cover had holes in it. Am I the only one who got screwed here?

pictures can be seen here
just copy and paste the link, cliking the link will cause an error.

http://www.geocities.com/addys_back/whr/1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/addys_back/whr/2.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/addys_back/whr/3.JPG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:47 am Reply with quote
It looks like the holes are through the proof of purchase scanner thingy. Dunno why they'd do that though..maybe to deter exchanges/returns?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote
This is common practice for screeners, it keeps unscrupulous individuals from selling their screeners.

In this case though, I'm not particulalrly impressed. This is a contest prize, not a screener and they mutilated the cover of the DVD jacket. If they wanted to do this, they should have just drawn a black line through the Bar gode, which is just as effective.

I also noticed that this is volume 1 and you were supposed to receive volume 2. One other person has also informed me that they received volume 1.

Has anyone else received the wrong DVD? I suspect everyone has.
Hellomojo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The cover is the least important to me, but they could have at least gotten the volume correct.

The surprising thing was that funimation did not do this in their previous ann contest.

Also, I have never come across a store that rakes returns for dvds and software that has been open, so by elliminating the plastic wrapping, which they did, would have been sufficiant, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anikochan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yup, I got volume 1 as well.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
I too got volume 1, with the holes in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
I already pointed this out through e-mail, but I also got volume 1. I'm avoiding all temptations of watching volume 3.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
So... I guess there's still no word on this then?
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering that myself. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
What ever happend to the Kiddy Grade contest? Question
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
This is common practice for screeners, it keeps unscrupulous individuals from selling their screeners.

In this case though, I'm not particulalrly impressed. This is a contest prize, not a screener and they mutilated the cover of the DVD jacket. If they wanted to do this, they should have just drawn a black line through the Bar gode, which is just as effective.

Note: The following is General Observation and FYI. This is in no way supporting actions of selling marked promo product.

Doesn't work. Short of putting on "Promotional Copy" on a sticker, or stamped directly into the jacket or the DVD itself, the DVD could be resold. Some of the Music Companies don't care about this, and even stuffed marked "Promotional" is regularly sold on eBay (I think the top eBay seller of CD's even mentions that her stuff might occasionally be marked Promotional or have a hole in the jacket somewhere on it.). And i've seen "promotional" DVD's being sold for bargain prices at several well-known store chains (mostly Junk and Educational Films). Also, with some fans, having a stamped Promo item is a collectable, and depending on the fan, they will buy it for a nominal price.

Kinda like the Comic Book Industry and the independent artists who draw copyrighted characters. Is DC Comics gonna spend time going after every artist that draws Wonder Woman for a $25? Not really, unless the artist does something that would spark a C&D Letter (like Wonder Woman nude in Shibari). It's not worth their time to go after every violator, because it won't make economic sense.

With this one, i'm kinda intrigued. The Witch Hunter cover was reverseable, so i'm guessing that they punched thru both of the barcodes in a few punches (note that the holes look the same, and pretty much face each other, in reverse) Either it was done due to past infractions (i.e. Bandai investigated reports of screeners that were sold, with only punches thru one barcode) or it's a new policy, given that the cover is reverseable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1