Forum - View topic
NEWS: Transformers: Japanese Collection Slated for January in U.S.




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4008
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm a die hard transformers fan and i've never heard of these series before.

Goes what to show me.

And though this collection interest me a lot, even i have to skip this collections cause unfortunately the release wont have an english dub which in itself sucks beyond levels.

Guess i'll have to wait until there's an announcement of one in the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 2020
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I'm a die hard transformers fan and i've never heard of these series before.

Goes what to show me.

And though this collection interest me a lot, even i have to skip this collections cause unfortunately the release wont have an english dub which in itself sucks beyond levels.

Guess i'll have to wait until there's an announcement of one in the future.


There won't ever be a dub release here so you might as well should just import the UK release because they have a dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagusGuardian



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 582
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
"The 13-DVD set with a bonus lithograph will be available only at Shout! Factory's online store for US$89.99."

given a month after release chances are I'll see this in my local walmart for maybe half to 3 quarters of the shout! factory's online store price. Given three or more months then I'd most likely find it on amazon for maybe 20 - 30 dollars cheaper because lets face it not Everything stays in one store for long regardless of what the company or those stupid made for T.v. ad's say
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kicksville



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 737
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
There won't ever be a dub release here so you might as well should just import the UK release because they have a dub.

Although, uh, heh heh, keep in mind it's "a" dub, so you might want to seek out a few clips of it before you decide it's worth importing over (...and hey, maybe it will be, just as long as you know what kind of ham you're ordering!).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4008
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
I'm a die hard transformers fan and i've never heard of these series before.

Goes what to show me.

And though this collection interest me a lot, even i have to skip this collections cause unfortunately the release wont have an english dub which in itself sucks beyond levels.

Guess i'll have to wait until there's an announcement of one in the future.


There won't ever be a dub release here so you might as well should just import the UK release because they have a dub.



Never knew the UK have a dub version. I have a feeling it might be one of those Animax Asia dubs, HOWEVER i'll take any dubs over none at all.

Finding them however is another story. Though I still have hope that a dub might come here in the US. They did dubbed Transformers Energon as well as Cybertron after all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7789
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Headmasters supposed to be really awful?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4008
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Isn't Headmasters supposed to be really awful?


I wouldn't know since i have not seen it & I only watch english dubs. But from reading the info it definitely sound interested and woth checking out if it can be found that is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 3782
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Good grief. I certainly hope this influx of "let's milk the nostalgia crowd" tires itself out very quickly (especially when sales fall well below "expected"), because there's no way I'd recommend this series to anyone who was born after 1985.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Micron Legend is my personal pick out of the series, though I guess it wont be included in this set
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4008
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Micron Legend is my personal pick out of the series, though I guess it wont be included in this set


Well if this collection is being released , Micro Legend just might get a release as well. We'll just have to wait and see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tangytangerine



Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 429
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
No Transformers Zone? Even if it was only an 1 episode OVA, it was a follow-up to Transformers Victory. Plus it was the only one where all the Decepticons were nothing but all the combiner robots from previous G1 shows.

As for this set being so expensive, they'll probably have trouble selling it that high for sub-only set. Especially when you can get all 4 seasons of original U.S. G1 series for more than half the price and is in more demand the japanese-only shows. It'll probably come down in price 4-6 months once they realize no one really wants to pay the $89.99 price.

penguintruth wrote:
Isn't Headmasters supposed to be really awful?


Yeah, the first 10 episodes pretty much destroy what made G1 great for fans. They spoiler[kill Optimus again(right after he's brought back), Cybertron is blown up, then some of the Autobots, including Rodimus Prime, leave cause they're tired of fighting.] It's much like the 1986 movie, where they tried to get rid as much of the old stuff as they could to make room for the new stuff.

Masterforce is basically Transformers mixed with Gundam/Macross, where humans merge with Autobot/Decepticon bodies. Victory is as close to the original U.S. G1 series as the japanese G1 shows got.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5897
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, my cousin is a big TF fans and a anime fans. I'm sure this new will make him happy. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-Syxx



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Posts: 1405
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Good grief. I certainly hope this influx of "let's milk the nostalgia crowd" tires itself out very quickly (especially when sales fall well below "expected"), because there's no way I'd recommend this series to anyone who was born after 1985.


Yes, let's wish failure on anime releases on DVD because it interferes with your ability to be a discerning snob.

When you say "nostalgia crowd" I see "people willing to buy things on DVD and Blu-ray." Why does anime have be plagued by these kinds of annoying attitudes? Do you ever see people complaining that people only buy Star Trek for "nostalgia."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group