• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Royale U.S. Blu-ray Listed in March

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Fantastic. This movie is truely amazing and is worthy of a spot on any shelf. Definitely going to pick it up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
Excellent, I don't mind adding a BD copy to my UK DVD. However, I'm going to make sure I get only the first movie. No way would I spend a penny on the (completely unneeded) sequel.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Article says the 2nd movie is part of the 4 disc set.

The 2nd movie wasn't bad, but it lacked a lot of the charm of the original.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
so does english soundtrack mean an english dub?
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
About time, though hopefully they won't look as bad as I hear some of the other region BDs look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
2012 just keeps getting more and more amazing. Twisted Metal, Avengers...

Anyway, glad to see this released.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
The UK DVD, which has been out for years doesn't have a dub. So if it's getting a dub, it'll be brand new, which could be interesting. I think what would be the icing on the cake for this though would be a more authentic release of the manga which hasn't been bastardised by Tokyopop.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
The UK DVD, which has been out for years doesn't have a dub. So if it's getting a dub, it'll be brand new, which could be interesting. I think what would be the icing on the cake for this though would be a more authentic release of the manga which hasn't been bastardized by Tokyopop.

I think a re-release could be possible, because the bull**** reason given by TOKYOPOOP back then doesn't hold water anymore. I still think as well the reason given back then was also BS.

As for the dub......hopefully it doesn't stray too much.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
Nice, i'll be picking up the 4-disc set when it's out.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
The article mentions that they'll sell Battle Royale 1 separately. I'm wondering if that will include both the theatrical and director's cuts, or if I'll I have to buy the 4-disc combo collection to get them both...

I really don't want to have funnel any money towards BR2, or know that it was ever in my house. Anime cry It's a far more terrifying concept to me than placing the two Matrix sequels on my shelf next to the original. /cringe

These seem like they're finally getting released simply to establish in the R1 market that BR came first, before The Hunger Games, and to take advantage of all the never-ending comparisons between the two. Not that I've read the books of (either) series, and I'm aware that aside from (a lot of) the concepts they tell the story a bit differently, but still.

(Didn't Anchor Bay also license the 3D version? How does that factor into all of this?)
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
The UK DVD, which has been out for years doesn't have a dub. So if it's getting a dub, it'll be brand new, which could be interesting. I think what would be the icing on the cake for this though would be a more authentic release of the manga which hasn't been bastardised by Tokyopop.
I agree with this.
inuhime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:

These seem like they're finally getting released simply to establish in the R1 market that BR came first, before The Hunger Games, and to take advantage of all the never-ending comparisons between the two. Not that I've read the books of (either) series, and I'm aware that aside from (a lot of) the concepts they tell the story a bit differently, but still.

The Hunger Games was an excellent series, although I kept comparing it to BR and The Long Walk (which came out before BR, btw). It'll be nice to have a R1 version of the movie, though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
so does english soundtrack mean an english dub?

I hope so, and the use good VA like what Viz did for the Live action movies of Death Note. Otherwise , it'll be a definite skip it.

Though what would have been nice is that if they had made an anime version of Battle Royal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
These seem like they're finally getting released simply to establish in the R1 market that BR came first, before The Hunger Games, and to take advantage of all the never-ending comparisons between the two.

More likely the latter I guess. The Hunger Games hype will definitely get a few people to check out "the other movie it keeps getting compared to". The timing seems too perfect to just be a coincidence.

For the record, HG and BR are both great in their own ways and despite the similar setting they're not the same at all.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I have no qualms with dubbing stuff in English if is not live action, but something about dubbing live action stuff just never sounds right at all. That is why I have to watch foreign live action films in their original language.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2