• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NIS Reveals Dungeon RPG by Disgaea Team, New Adventure Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
What is meant by "adventure game"? For me, that term refers to the point-and-click narrative-based puzzle games of the early '90's, but that's more-or-less a dead genre (and not one I think a Japanese developer ever worked in) and I don't imagine that's what they're talking about.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
What is meant by "adventure game"? For me, that term refers to the point-and-click narrative-based puzzle games of the early '90's, but that's more-or-less a dead genre (and not one I think a Japanese developer ever worked in) and I don't imagine that's what they're talking about.

Oftentimes the term adventure games refer to visual novels in Japan, but then there are exceptions sometimes.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
The article provided a game that represents what NIS calls an adventure game, Hayarigami.
It is pretty much what one would expect from an adventure game.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
So the term covers things like Phoenix Wright, as well as things like Air, Kanon, & Shuffle. Hayarigami seems to be horror/detection.
When I hear the term, I first think of things like Zork.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Been a very long time since I last heard NIS revealing a new game. I remember the 90's adventure games and even the 00's adventure games. At times they were very challenging, but they were also very fun as well.

It's been several years since I last played a NIS game though.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, when I first read "Adventure Game" my mind slotted "Text" in front of it and I had to re-read it ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1