• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
With 300 posts and 20 pages, the discussion thread for the The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide was getting a little long, so I've split it into two.

This new thread will serve for any new comments, questions or discussions, while existing discussion can be continued in the orginal thread, which remains open for that purpose.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
I imagine there will be a review for Shikabane Hime soon, since that was recently subbed. I found it to be solid visually, and mildly entertaining, but I don't have much interest in continuing.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
yep, Shikabane hime was so-so. Ga-Rei was so-so as well, but the end of the first episode is really ... woah Shocked Definitely makes you at least want to watch the second episode.

also there are some softsubs for Yozakura Quartet ^^;
mythus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Shikabanehime wasn't that great. I think I was just expecting to much out of it though. Still not bad, but not gainax good. I've pretty much set an expectation from them and this just didn't do it for me.

IMO Kannagi seems to be the best thing out this season. Yet, quite a lot of good stuff this season. Today in Class 5-2 was really great. As well as the other dozen anime we've discussed.

Last edited by mythus on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
mythus wrote:
Shikabanehime wasn't that great. I think I was just expecting to much out of it though. Still not bad, but not gainax good. I've pretty much set an expectation from them and this just didn't do it for me.

Well, there's only so much they can do with an adaptation. It depends a lot on the quality of the source material. They've got a reputation for picking some spotty things to adapt to anime.
mythus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
mythus wrote:

Well, there's only so much they can do with an adaptation. It depends a lot on the quality of the source material. They've got a reputation for picky some spotty things to adapt to anime.

I completely understand. Yet, when you go from anime like gurren lagann and diebuster, you sort of expect a second coming. I am not gonna belittle the company and I still think its a decent anime. I certainly have an interest for the story. Yet, it seems like i should not expect the wacky over exaggerated animation.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
So are you guys going to review Stitch! I mean I'm perfectly happy with our original version of lilo and stitch but I'm a bit curious about this anime version.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
mythus wrote:
Yet, it seems like i should not expect the wacky over exaggerated animation.

Pretty much. They're trying to draw a line between making it their own and being faithful to the source. Gurren Lagann and Diebuster were original projects, and Hiroyuki Imaishi (the director of TTGL, and a major contributor of that "wacky over exaggerated" style) is not involved in the production of Shikabane Hime.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
So are you guys going to review Stitch! I mean I'm perfectly happy with our original version of lilo and stitch but I'm a bit curious about this anime version.

lol wut?
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyone who has taken a turn around a Gundam anime or two over the years surely knows that Gundam 00 is basically a jumped up version of Gundam Wing, made newly relevant with the inclusion of allusions to the politics and paranoia of the 21st century.

You folks still won't stop peddling this claim will you? There are hardly any elements with this story that make it reminiscent of Wing. Where's the Heero-obsessed peace loving lunatic? Where is the colony oppression? Where are the five Gundam pilots?
Shuchung

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
mythus wrote:
Yet, it seems like i should not expect the wacky over exaggerated animation.

Pretty much. They're trying to draw a line between making it their own and being faithful to the source. Gurren Lagann and Diebuster were original projects, and Hiroyuki Imaishi (the director of TTGL, and a major contributor of that "wacky over exaggerated" style) is not involved in the production of Shikabane Hime.

But Akira Amemiya is, fortunately.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Quote:
Anyone who has taken a turn around a Gundam anime or two over the years surely knows that Gundam 00 is basically a jumped up version of Gundam Wing, made newly relevant with the inclusion of allusions to the politics and paranoia of the 21st century.

You folks still won't stop peddling this claim will you? There are hardly any elements with this story that make it reminiscent of Wing. Where's the Heero-obsessed peace loving lunatic? Where is the colony oppression? Where are the five Gundam pilots?

The similarities stem more from a private organization managing to somehow fund a military project to create Gundams that are vastly technologically superior to any other armaments a military may possess. That and while there aren't 5 of em Gundam 00 still has a pretty boy cast which is meant to rope in the female fans. I'm a huge Gundam fan but the first season of 00 is second only to SEED Destiny as worst Gundam series. Based on this little preview of season 2 I don't see any reason to be hopeful. Granted it's just first episode impressions, but my sense tells me that any leftover baggage from season 1 will be thrown to the wayside. Season 1 was disjointed, convoluted, and didn't even deliver a great battle until over half-way in. We'll see what they do with season 2, but from everything I'm hearing Gundam 00 season 1 and 2 may as well function as two seperate shows.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Yeah I'll probably do a review of it if it pops up somewhere. I'm curious too.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Personally a lot of my friends and myself at Tales Brigade are interested in seeing how Tales of the Abyss does as an anime. Seems like it's already getting mediocre impressions from the get-go D=
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yeah I'll probably do a review of it if it pops up somewhere. I'm curious too.
That's good I wonder if they'll take a really different route like with ppgz.
But still the show I'm most excited about is michiko to hatchin. The story looks fun and the staff is good too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16