• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to the new Forums! Suggestions welcome here.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:28 am Reply with quote
Welcome to Anime News Network's new forums!

Hopefully the forum will become as active as the old one once was. We're still working out the bugs in some parts of the script, and we're very open to suggestions on how to organize the different Forums.

So if you have any sugestions....
Moridin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:30 am Reply with quote
Whoo, Forums! They look good. Another place for me to spend countless hours perusing posts about things I know nothing of!
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:32 am Reply with quote
Moridin wrote:

Whoo, Forums! They look good. Another place for me to spend countless hours perusing posts about things I know nothing of!

We've been meaning to put the BBS up again for the last three months...

But we wanted something with more power than what our old BBS could provide.

I hope the oldbies come back. :) It'd be nice to talk to 'em again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moridin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:37 am Reply with quote
I'm sure they will be, probably won't take too long either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:40 am Reply with quote
since it says suggestions......I would like to request an Evangelion board. I am a die hard EVA fan (notice my username) and would like somewhere to see what other people think of the series and there thoeries on the movies. That would be cool if you would. Glad the forums up and running. :D
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:41 am Reply with quote
I don't like the need for a header with every response, but other than that, I'm glad the forum is back. I'm J69, now reborn as Gatsu. I know Tsurara probably long moved to Japan, but it would be nice for old times sake.
cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I don't like the need for a header with every response, but other than that, I'm glad the forum is back. I'm J69, now reborn as Gatsu. I know Tsurara probably long moved to Japan, but it would be nice for old times sake.

welcome back, j69.

sorry for not ever returning your /msg's on irc, but you were always /msging me at bad times... and i'd check back 5 or 6 hours later and say, "geez, missed'im again." :/

anywho: i don't think you need to use the subject line if you don't want.. (that's what i'm testing right now... whee..) but it's something you can use if you want to distinguish your message.

otherwise, this board runs pretty much the same as the old cdboard did.. 'cept instead of one board with everyone's comments on it, we can run multiple boards (well, yes, cdboard allowed multiple boards too... but we didn't use'em.)

as per someone's earlier mention for avatars: who knows? who knows anything? ;) We're still talking about it. Avatars will most likely be available in some form, though.. either through uploading or special request or something...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:44 am Reply with quote
Ok just test it out and see.
cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:46 am Reply with quote
Bardiel wrote:

Ok just test it out and see.

gack, it's 2am. ~_~ this is my last post for the night...

anyways:

the subject line is, indeed, unnecessary.. and, at the moment, it's kinda poorly placed. i guess we can move it around tommorrow.

my personal thoughts on a few things (not necessarily reflective of the final ANN decision):

avatars: yes, i think we should provide avatars in two ways:
1) providing a small gallery (perhaps 30-40) for users to choose from.
2) allowing users to remote-link images from their own sites/servers (we'd need to find some way to ensure the images are 80x80 or smaller, i think.)

I don't think ANN needs to allow users to upload their own avatars to ANN -- not only is it a possible exploit, but it quickly eats up diskspace and bandwidth too. i doubt anyone would find a security hole in phpbb and exploit it before we could patch it.. but that's no reason to leave doors unnecessarily open.

images in sigs: i'd say 'no', because too many people go wild and link 400 billion images.

need an example? just look at any other webboard that allows images in sigs. ;)

javascript in sigs: i'm *very* against the use of javascript in signatures... there's a lot of nasty stuff you can do that could really interfere with people trying to read the forums.

i think that's it for now. cheers.
Moridin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:49 am Reply with quote
Nice Avatar, btw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Welcome back Gatsu.

Hmm, the nice thing about the internet is that anyone can connect to the site from anywhere, so Tsurara might still post even from Japan. You never know....

Hopefully we'll get a lot of the old forum members back.
mike3560

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:53 am Reply with quote
Hoping to learn a few things and *gasp* contribute something useful from time to time.

But please don't expect too much from me, I never do Smile
Saiyajin Jas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:55 am Reply with quote
Hey, I just have a quick suggestion for your boards. I'm not too active on these things, usually because people tend to ignore me. *Shrug* Anyway, avatars are a cool idea, I've seen them on lots of message boards. You should probably avoid handing them out when people get a certain amount of posts. Like once you reach 10 posts, you get these avatars, and when you get over 50 posts you get more. I recommend avoiding that strategy simply because it encourages a lot of spam posting, and makes the message boards less enjoyable for those who want to have quality discussions.

Thanks for listening.

Saiya-jin Jas
Strife

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:56 am Reply with quote
Custom user titles would also be cool. Smile Idea
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:58 am Reply with quote
Strife wrote:

Custom user titles would also be cool. :) :idea:

Hell yeah!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2