• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Khan Job

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
I do have to agree with Bamboo about School Rumble Season 2, Set 1. I felt that the development of side characters spoiler[Sara for example and her job as a nun was a touching story to see animated.] Season 1 had it's charm, but so far Season 2 has lots more of it. The reoccurring jokes still work spoiler[Harima and Hanai fighting all the time, Hanai going after Yakumo, Eri and her feelings for Harima, Harima going after Tenma ] and still seem funny again and again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Still no Gurren Lagann vol. 3...

Sad
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
60-70 volumes, gone at any given time? O.O That's generosity, if I ever saw it... Now I feel stingy, since I get worried if I'm lending more than five volumes at a time. Anime smile;; Great shelves, though! Keep on collectin'!
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
The Ghengis Khan movie sounds interesting. I may rent that and see if I can't get my mom to watch it as well - she's a huge history buff.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Enjoyable column as always, Bamboo.

But this was the line that I liked the best:

Bamboo wrote:
If you don't vote, you don't get to bitch about what happens next.

Amen!
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
All the "Go out and Vote!"-ness actually makes me want to vote in my school's mock election voting, good job!

Anyway, I'm a bit sad there wasn't any perishables or shelf-worthies this week Sad , but the Khan movie looked interesting...
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
60-70 volumes, gone at any given time? O.O That's generosity, if I ever saw it... Now I feel stingy, since I get worried if I'm lending more than five volumes at a time. Anime smile;; Great shelves, though! Keep on collectin'!

Don't worry, I'm the same way. (Although who I'm leading to and what they're borrowing makes a big difference too... I'm more likely to lend more and rarer titles to my boyfriend's family, for example, then other friends.)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
Harima's good intentions are almost always instant comedy.

My usual process for predicting the outcome of events involving Harima:

1. Harima appears
2. ??????
3. Profit!

Anyway, I enjoyed season 1 and season 2 of School Rumble a lot, although sometimes I found the filler (to the extent that one can differentiate in School Rumble) in season 2 to be a little too zany. I agree with Bamboo that it's nice to have more focus on the relationships though.

As for the elections mattering to people outside the U.S.A., I'd say that they do to a lot of people; or at least they should, especially this one. The election certainly matters to me (then again I'm American Razz). One thing I can say without doubt is that if Obama is elected (fingers crossed, toes crossed, strands of hair crossed), it'll go along way toward changing European attitudes toward Americans.
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
That Genghis Khan movie sounds interesting. Both my father and myself are history buffs, so I think we'd both like it. Even if it's not exactly accurate, I'd still like to see it. The only things I learned in school about him was that he was a.) a barbarian (according to Rome) and that he kicked the crap out of every army he faced.

Darn it! Now I'm really curious! *sigh* Guess that means I'm off to do some research... Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
....so.... how big a rip-off of the Academy-Award-nominated "Mongol" is this "Genghis Khan" movie? And even if "Genghis Khan" came out first, then you've got to bet Funimation is banking on people renting it by mistake, thinking they're getting "Mongol."

But yeah, go watch "Mongol," it kicks ass.

Also, Dardre, your history teacher may have been lying about their degree: Genghis Khan rose to supremacy around 1200, long after the fall of the Roman Empire. Perhaps they were thinking of Attila the Hun?

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
In the School Rumble review you may need to change the line, "but now everyone thinks the two are data". I think it might be a mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drowz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
forgive my ignorance, but wasn't genghis khan a big part of east asian history? at least, from my recollection of my classes it had been. unless east asia refers strictly to japan, my terminology might be off, if so my apologies...i've gotten into these confusions before as where i grew up before (glasgow), asia generally meant the middle east whereas in the states it refers moreso to the orient nations (regardless that they're all in asia).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when Geneon vanished KKM was pretty much in wrap-up mode, but then they brought in this past storyline which has been interesting enough.
The thing about KKM is the ability to end a dvd in a cliff-hanger status such as this one where we're down a lead character. Yeah it happened before with a different lead character & one really doubts things will REALLY stay dire, but still we end this disc in a cliffhanger spot waiting for the December release of dvd 9.

KKM is much easier on those who buy the box, I swear.

You do have to admit the circumstances are a bit extenuating with Geneon putting a year gap between releases, but I didn't find picking up KKM all that hard, much less between dvds 7 & 8. I think Saiunkoku actually was more of a "Oh yeah, they were doing the test thing" memory reach while Shonen Onmyoji was a tad unfortunate that dvd 3 does seem to end a story arc & thus it would have been nice to get it last year.

KKM is really just a harem/alternate world title & about as heavy as Slayers for drama. It's fun diversion, but I don't think it's intended to be awe-inspiring or life-changing. Like the song says-nothin' but a good time. Most of the time I can put this title in & put a positive spin on a ho-hum day

Last edited by CCSYueh on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree about the whole 13-episodes per box thing. Sometimes, it takes about that much to really get into a story and, i think in terms of marketing, people feel much more obligated to finish a series if it can be purchased in two box sets rather than 6-7 disc. So companies can probably make more money ( at least off of me ), if they move toward this route.

Also, I'm still in limbo about the whole live-action relation to anime. I personally don't see it, even if there are live-action adaptation/compliations of anime shows, since most of the time, they suck or are mediocre at best ( I went to the Death Note : Last Name showing to see what it was about ), so the merit for me seems non-existent.
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Also, Dardre, your history teacher may have been lying about their degree: Genghis Khan rose to supremacy around 1200, long after the fall of the Roman Empire. Perhaps they were thinking of Attila the Hun?

What degree? Rolling Eyes I don't think my teacher actually had a history degree. And having looked at my nephews' history texts, I doubt they'll learn anything at all accurate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3