• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Most Popular 2011 Fall Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Daaaamn, Ben-to is really high on that list, didn't know it was that popular. Fate/Zero was pretty much a give-away. Other than that everything I believe fits on the list right, Tamayura and Mashiro surprised me a bit as well.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Haganai was such a disappointment for me. I liked Squid Girl and Working'!! much more
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how 3 out of the top 5 picked for most popular were some of the worst selling series for fall.
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
wow, for once i can actually sort of agree with one of these polls, top 10 where all good except maybe Tamayura which i didn't watch since i heard it was a bit dull

would have put C3, Un-Go higher myself and Nura alot higher although sequels didn't seem to do well in this poll (Bakuman, Nura, Sekai Ichi, Shana) except for the 4-Koma titles

overall i think for once this poll gives a decent representation of what was good about the season, although since i watched 18 out of the top 27 titles so it doesn't show how good it was overall, by far the best season of the year
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Another survey that's almost completely worthless. Yawn. Move on people, nothing to see here.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
overall i think for once this poll gives a decent representation of what was good about the season

Polls tend to that, even the ones you don't happen to agree with.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
ben-to as no.2 of fall season of course it was really the show stealer of fall season.

really fighting for ben-to foods in big way especially saw pool ep indeed BEST POOL EP EVER!!!

yea still wonder for license & dub on in it cause it dub material.

& better yet give a s2 or we make our own real life ben-to fights.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's funny how 3 out of the top 5 picked for most popular were some of the worst selling series for fall.

Yeah, I mean Ben-To only sold just over 1000 so really it flopped which was a great pity as it was an awesome show. Clearly these polls mean absolutely nothing.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
overall i think for once this poll gives a decent representation of what was good about the season

except for the fact that those numbers don't really line up with dvd sales or other hard numbers. for example Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki, Tamayura - Hitotose, Mashiro-Iro Symphony, Hunter x Hunter (more popular then naruto and actually gets up to 7.5% viewership ratings), Bakuman. 2, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
Tamayura sold pretty well. 5-6k iirc. Not bad at all for a low-moderate budget SoL show. But yeah, Mirai Nikki, Ben-To, and Chihayafuru were the three I was referring to. Each below 2500 copies. And your ratings for HxH 2011 are way off. It has been averaging about a 4.0% share.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Tamayura sold pretty well. 5-6k iirc. Not bad at all for a low-moderate budget SoL show. But yeah, Mirai Nikki, Ben-To, and Chihayafuru were the three I was referring to. Each below 2500 copies. And your ratings for HxH 2011 are way off. It has been averaging about a 4.0% share.

I remember A episode getting 7.5% one week
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

except for the fact that those numbers don't really line up with dvd sales or other hard numbers. for example Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki, Tamayura - Hitotose, Mashiro-Iro Symphony, Hunter x Hunter (more popular then naruto and actually gets up to 7.5% viewership ratings), Bakuman. 2, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

What does it matter if those numbers line up with sales? This poll and sales figures are two different beasts, public opinion and sales don't have to match up.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

What does it matter if those numbers line up with sales? This poll and sales figures are two different beasts, public opinion and sales don't have to match up.

true but you have an inverse in many cases. for example mirai nikki, chihaya furu, and ben-to all FLOPED!!!!! in terms of dvd sales. and that NO ONE likes Hunter X Hunter and it is a flop, though it gets anywhere from 4.0-7.5% ratings on national broadcast across the entire country, which means either A) Alot of people LOVED X series, but no one actually bought it, and thought it was worth a penny. or the opposite that B) a lot of people watch X show, but they all hate it and don't actually like inspite of watching it for over 15 episodes. or C) the poll is BS and it was to small of a base to accurately reflect the general anime fans.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
A) Alot of people LOVED X series, but no one actually bought it, and thought it was worth a penny. or the opposite that B) a lot of people watch X show, but they all hate it and don't actually like inspite of watching it for over 15 episodes. or C) the poll is BS and it was to small of a base to accurately reflect the general anime fans.

What's popular and what actually sells BD/DVDs isn't always the same.

I've seen series that are loved in the fandom, just not with people who buy anime BDs, so no season 2 or whatever for it. The poll isn't necessarily inaccurate, it just doesn't correlate with what actually sells.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
A) Alot of people LOVED X series, but no one actually bought it, and thought it was worth a penny. or the opposite that B) a lot of people watch X show, but they all hate it and don't actually like inspite of watching it for over 15 episodes. or C) the poll is BS and it was to small of a base to accurately reflect the general anime fans.

What's popular and what actually sells BD/DVDs isn't always the same.

I've seen series that are loved in the fandom, just not with people who buy anime BDs, so no season 2 or whatever for it. The poll isn't necessarily inaccurate, it just doesn't correlate with what actually sells.

I agree with you 100% but it is VERY rare for a show that is the third most popular show Generally is close to third in dvd sales. this is simply because even if it is a show that is generally liked and not really loved, there are a greater number of people who love it then lets say a horizion type show. horizon FAR outsold chihiya furu, 2 to 1 and bento 4 to 1, last I heard. and horizon is the middle of the pack while chihya is supposedly 60% more popular, and bento is 80% more popular. My point is that this data is probably NOT INDICATIVE of the normal anime fan in japan. if it was then then top placed shows would not be STRUGGLING to break even. ALSO WHY IS STEIN;s GATE or any anime from the winter/spring and summer of 2011 on the list. it's all fall and winter shows. is High Score and GdGd faries really more popular then stein;s gate?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2