Forum - View topic
Interview: Tomomi Mochizuki on House of Five Leaves


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
keikanna44



Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 151
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
This show was a pleasant surprise to me. I didn't think I would like it because of the art style but after viewing the show the characters became unique and even pretty to me. The show had a stlye that I don't see in a lot of anime and it kept me watching until the end. It was interesting to learn the directors decisions in regards to the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
poonk



Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 1410
Location: In the Library with Philip

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I just got my NISA boxset yesterday (man, that thing is impressive) and it's a bit torturous because I've decided to postpone watching the anime until the manga is fully released here in the US (v08 is due out in September). The more I look at the artbook, the more incredulous I feel whenever I hear of someone passing it over because of the art style. To me it's just gorgeous. Anyway, I can't wait to dig into the show later this year.

(P.S. The blurb before the interview says it's available on DVD and Blu-ray but as far as I can tell it's DVD only.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 997

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
The art style is great except for mouths being put way too low. This is cheap way to create "original" graphic style: originality for the sake for originality.

I could start drawing characters with one of theirs' eyes moved to the forehead, and this would make my drawing style certainly unique. However, these kind of tricks do not constitute real talent in coming up with unique artistic style. Making characters ugly just for the sake of originality is weak.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
kufirst



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Location: Kansas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Totally getting this when it comes out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iatheia



Joined: 20 Jun 2009
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. The art style is what makes this show so good. It fits the mood of the series very well. They could have went with your regular run of the mill moeblobs, but that would have cheapened the impact.

It is somewhat unusual, but it really is very beautiful... It doesn't need flashyness - just something as subtle as a glance can evict a very strong mood. And it has a very organic feel to it, giving even more realism to the story. It is as though you are transferred into Edo, and you don't leave until you finish watching it...

I've also received the box-set yesterday, and I have to say, it is excellent, very well made. You can feel the quality and all the effort put into it. No minor details cheapen the appreciation of the series.



But coming back to the interview, the question "Do you see this story as being plot or character driven?" cracked me up. What plot? =)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7062
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
This is such an outstanding show. I'm so glad someone picked it up.

MaxSouth wrote:
Making characters ugly just for the sake of originality is weak.


It is of course entirely your own baseless assumption that this was the motivation.

iatheia wrote:
I disagree. The art style is what makes this show so good. It fits the mood of the series very well. They could have went with your regular run of the mill moeblobs, but that would have cheapened the impact.


This.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
The art style is great except for mouths being put way too low. This is cheap way to create "original" graphic style: originality for the sake for originality.

I could start drawing characters with one of theirs' eyes moved to the forehead, and this would make my drawing style certainly unique. However, these kind of tricks do not constitute real talent in coming up with unique artistic style. Making characters ugly just for the sake of originality is weak.


Surely there's more to making art than sticking with the rules of symmetry. There has to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LaFreccia



Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Posts: 324

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Regarding "Character or Plot": I personally think the answer is Setting. This show does a wonderful job of really making you feel like you are seeing what it was like to live back in those days. As they mention the scenes are dark because they are lit by actual light sources that throw shadows, and can only illuminate a certain area. Most shows would cheat, and give inside scenes a magical source of light to make it easy to see what is going on.

I also love the character designs. At first they may seem odd, but they actually have an unusual elegance.

This is a MUST BUY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuxedocat
He started itHe started it


Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2170

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
I just got my NISA set today, and it is gorgeous! So glad I bought this. I'm collecting the manga too. I am grateful and rather astounded that this show got a physical release here in the U.S. I hope all the Natsume Ono fans buy it. It's arrival in today's mail pretty much made my day.

The art in the anime reflects the art in the manga well. I prefer adaptations like these because they DO look different from the status quo. So many of the recent light novel adaptations have such homogenous character designs. It's like there is some guide book of approved designs for light novels. They all look alike.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
formerroadie1



Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 125
Location: Fort Worth, TX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Man, all of you folks getting your boxes already is killing me! I only order straight from NISA because they give nice extras with their boxes which I want. Rightstuf always sends stuff out so early. Ugh.... I wish NISA would reward their customers with this type of early shipping.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iatheia



Joined: 20 Jun 2009
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
formerroadie1 wrote:
Man, all of you folks getting your boxes already is killing me! I only order straight from NISA because they give nice extras with their boxes which I want. Rightstuf always sends stuff out so early. Ugh.... I wish NISA would reward their customers with this type of early shipping.


I wish they would also open their store more quickly after the announcements. I've decided to place my order almost immediately after they mentioned that it is available for preorder, and NISA didn't have it listed! So naturally I've turned to Rightstuf... Sort of sad, because that paper fan does look pretty...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
formerroadie1



Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 125
Location: Fort Worth, TX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
formerroadie1 wrote:
Man, all of you folks getting your boxes already is killing me! I only order straight from NISA because they give nice extras with their boxes which I want. Rightstuf always sends stuff out so early. Ugh.... I wish NISA would reward their customers with this type of early shipping.


I wish they would also open their store more quickly after the announcements. I've decided to place my order almost immediately after they mentioned that it is available for preorder, and NISA didn't have it listed! So naturally I've turned to Rightstuf... Sort of sad, because that paper fan does look pretty...


Yeah, I absolutely love the artcards they have been releasing with some boxes as well. Oh well, i will get it eventually and I can wait given the extras. I just with NISA would beat other vendors to the punch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaxSouth



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 997

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Surely there's more to making art than sticking with the rules of symmetry. There has to be.


It is not about symmetry, because the mouths are not moved to the left or to the right side of the face. The mouth line just moved down and kept symmetric.

And it is not expression of certain character as author would "see" him/her, it is just set up stylistic rule how to draw all characters.

So comparison to Picasso is not applicable here for these two reasons/differences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
That was just piggybacking off your eye on the forehead comment.

Quote:
And it is not expression of certain character as author would "see" him/her, it is just set up stylistic rule how to draw all characters.


It still looks like artistic expression to me. Regardless of how the author "sees" people the art style of this show is how he draws them, at least in this stage of his career.

Quote:
So comparison to Picasso is not applicable here for these two reasons/differences.


Comparisons are about similarities. So long as the similarities are true then the comparison is valid, no matter the number of differences you can drum up. My comment was to point out how artists(there's no point in me qualifying it with "real") can draw anyway they like, even for the sake of being different, placing facial features at odd angles and places isn't bad in itself and boils down to personal taste. You're simply in position to say who isn't an artist because you don't like how they choose to draw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 2005

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Great interview!

To me this is the best upcoming release of 2012. I cannot wait for my copy to ship. I didn't realize people already got theirs, makes me a bit jealous. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group