• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Madoka Magica Film Aimed for Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I heard the first and 2nd film of the trilogy are recaps of the events in the series.

Third film contains new footage/storyline. Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong though.

I read this from MAL awhile ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jackstick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Which means we won't get to see it until at least Summer 2013 >.<
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
With the re-caps, I can't help but make a comparison to Gurren Lagann and its two re-cap movies.

Except PMMM is not the kind of work that fits the "MAKE IT EVEN MORE EPIC" that TTGL did.

However, seeing the Witches' Labyrinths with a movie budget....holy shit.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
With the re-caps, I can't help but make a comparison to Gurren Lagann and its two re-cap movies.

Except PMMM is not the kind of work that fits the "MAKE IT EVEN MORE EPIC" that TTGL did.

However, seeing the Witches' Labyrinths with a movie budget....holy shit.

Recap movies are as old as the 70s. They're what caused Yamato and Gundam to actually become popular as syndication wasn't happening and owning it on tape didn't exist yet. Gurren Lagann having recap movies is in and of itself, another part of the parody and homage to old super robot films. Take a look at nearly any popular super robot show from the mid 70s through the 80s, or even real robot. They're bound to have a movie or set of OVAs that recap it. At least with Gurren Lagann they gave it some changes, whereas the recap films I'm talking about are just spliced edits taken directly from the show.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to hear more info about this movie.
Let's hope a subbed version gets out before the end of 2012.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
First found out about this through some fan's posting of the article on Aniplex's facebook wall some ten hours ago. Interestingly, according to the poster, "director Shinbo Akiyuki said he was worried that anime has been out of mainstream entertainment and hoped Madoka will attract the attention of the general public."

Which strikes me as an odd thing to say, considering just how.. BIG Madoka seems to already have been, even with the "general public" taking into account. It even seems a bit egotistical to say when phrased in this way (or am I misreading something here?), as if Shibo's been bothered by how Madoka doesn't adorn some magazine cover every month now, like it used to throughout most-all of 2011.

Still, it's nice to see that the recap films seem to be taken fairly seriously, given that it'll see fall-time release and Shinbo seems keen on attracting even more attention for the franchise. Haven't seen the Gurren Lagann films before, so I can't really fathom any possible parallels to be made with it... but I really hope that some truly noteworthy things, particularly animation-wise, will be offered through the two recap films. If I end up buying the first two films, I don't want to feel like I'm just buying the whole series over again..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
Recapping a twelve episode series? Really. I thought the show wrapped things up nicely. Short and sweet.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
To sub or not to sub the Japanese BD, that is the question!

Of course, the license possibilities on how well the current BD releases do. I don't think any domestic licensor will touch the movie if the Madoka Magica TV series is a dud in the US.... Really don't know how the sales are doing but every review I've read has bitched up the LE edition and the price-point.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
How did they "bitch[..] up the LE"? I haven't seen anybody who regrets the purchase, so I have no choice to believe most complaints are about people outside the target market. I'd love to see some sales figures, but I'm fairly certain it's earning Aniplex USA enough to be worth licensing the movies(c'mon same-day dub release!).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Madoka's probably selling pretty well, I can't see Aniplex not picking it up. Movies are also probably cheaper to dub as well.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
A recap film of all 12 episodes would make actually finishing the story considerably less arduous, for me.

I think instead of attempting to force myself beyond episode 6, I'll wait for this.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
First found out about this through some fan's posting of the article on Aniplex's facebook wall some ten hours ago. Interestingly, according to the poster, "director Shinbo Akiyuki said he was worried that anime has been out of mainstream entertainment and hoped Madoka will attract the attention of the general public."

Which strikes me as an odd thing to say, considering just how.. BIG Madoka seems to already have been, even with the "general public" taking into account. It even seems a bit egotistical to say when phrased in this way (or am I misreading something here?), as if Shibo's been bothered by how Madoka doesn't adorn some magazine cover every month now, like it used to throughout most-all of 2011.

Well, looking at it from the Japanese side of things, their otaku are notorious for having very short memories. Heck, I guess ours are too, but it seems moreso with the Japanese. If you ever look at any of their ranking lists, you usually don't see very many shows that are more than a couple years old.

Now, do I think that Madoka will fall by the wayside that quickly? No, I really don't think so, but just pointing out that his fears aren't necessarily unfounded.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Are the two first movies to be recaps? It will be cool if spoiler[they were different versions of what happened when Homura went back in time. We could see more about the very first time Madoka and Homura met].

I am intrigued about the first two movies but am more interested in the third. I also trust that the Madoka Magica series will sell great. And who would complain about the LE? it is a great value IMO.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Well, looking at it from the Japanese side of things, their otaku are notorious for having very short memories. Heck, I guess ours are too, but it seems moreso with the Japanese. If you ever look at any of their ranking lists, you usually don't see very many shows that are more than a couple years old.

Now, do I think that Madoka will fall by the wayside that quickly? No, I really don't think so, but just pointing out that his fears aren't necessarily unfounded.

That happens in all media fandom. I like to call it the NORAOAYO (No One Remembers Anything Over A Year Old) effect.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

I don't think it's so much of a problem concerning poor memory, or even short attention span. One could site a body of research demonstrating the superior cognitive abilities of the Japanese, that would completely contradict that notion.

It's most likely related to the Japanese culture of having the latest, most recent product (whether it be a technological innovation; some fashion, dietary, or internet-related craze; a production of popular media, etc).

It's also not far-fetched to assume that the lack of Japanese otakus' long-term enthusiasm for titles is the sheer amount of narrative similarity and tropes in most of the works, which are, of course, produced specifically for them. They don't leave beyond a particularly long-lasting impression, with them not being even remotely unique, and all.

Quote:

Since Madoka, admittedly, dissected an entire genre, and its clichés, and put it back together with every piece turned inside-out -- in addition to being a phenomenon similar to Haruhi and breaking sales records -- I don't think its massive popularity will fade that easily or abruptly, at least not enough to effect sales. With that said, look at Haruhi: once a cultural phenomena akin to Christianity in its influence. Now?...

Yeah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2