News
Comcast Purchases Universal Studios Japan as Wholly Owned Subsidiary

posted on by Karen Ressler

American cable television company Comcast announced on Tuesday that it is aiming to make Universal Studios Japan (USJ) its wholly owned subsidiary by the end of April. Comcast had already acquired 51% of USJ's stock to make it a subsidiary in 2015, and is purchasing the remaining 49% from the previous owners, which included U.S. investment bank Goldman Sachs, for 254.8 billion yen (about US$2.2 billion).

Comcast is already expanding Universal Studios parks in the United States and Singapore, and a new park is under construction in Beijing.

Universal Studios Japan celebrated its 15th anniversary last year. It is currently running Cool Japan attractions, which include attractions for Attack on Titan, Evangelion, Detective Conan, Monster Hunter, and Godzilla. Nintendo revealed in December that it plans to open a "Super Nintendo World" theme park at the Universal Studios Japan park in Osaka before the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

Source: Nikkei via Otakomu


discuss this in the forum (21 posts) |
bookmark/share with:

Daily Briefs homepage / archives