• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: P.A. Works Makes Mai no Mahō to Katei no Hi TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
As long as it actually discusses some REAL bonds and doesn't paddle to moe factors, a gaggle of heroines, 40+ episodes, a ridiculous ending, and still be genuinely touching.... then sign me up!

I, personally, thought true tears was nothing more than a handful of people who LOVED to bathe in their own misery.
Of course, it was heavily addicting and interesting 'til it got to it's later stages... which, by then, I felt no emotional connection anymore.

I haven't seen Angel Beats! yet, but... I dunno, is it any good?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised you think that about True Tears. I'm going to guess that you've never seen KimiNozo/Rumbling Hearts? Personally, I loved True Tears. Except for the ending of course.

As far as Angel Beats goes... it's entertaining. It's the first anime based on a Key story that didn't have a game as its source. So being that it's basically an original work, it doesn't have the best of pacing. The show goes through many transformations, but in the end I'd say that I enjoyed the final product.

I'm looking forward to this project. I've liked other anime that are super-family-focused (Clannad/After Story, Binbou Shimai Monogatari, etc) so hopefully this turns out well.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kinda surprised you think that about True Tears. I'm going to guess that you've never seen KimiNozo/Rumbling Hearts?

A bit different, but I see where your coming from. I love Rumbling Hearts... but man, is it a tough one!

With true tears they have a guy who fantasizes over the "mystery" of shedding tears(I'm not spoiling anything that the first ep alone covers), only to see, along the way, spoiler[what magnitude of events can generate tears.]
It was... weird.

In the same way how Yukito from Air was looking for the Girl in the Sky, and it had that angelic feeling that most moe anime's do.
That's both what allured me, and drove me away in the end.

So far, Honey and Clover is the only anime that uses that type of atmosphere with a REAL setting that works splendidly.

As for Angel Beats... yeah I guess I'll give it a try.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to this project. I've liked other anime that are super-family-focused (Clannad/After Story, Binbou Shimai Monogatari, etc) so hopefully this turns out well.

Oh God... not you too! The emphasis is on "super" or "over-the-top". Razz
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

One presumes this project's target audience shall have to be broader than that of Clannad. Attaining the explicit goal of raising public awareness might not be possible through attempting to replicate its appeal, regardless of the acclaim such a title enjoys within its core demographic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that it's so rare that we actually see the transformation of friends->dating->married->family in anime, even if it's full of sappy melodrama. Most anime either stop after a simple kiss (before dating) or at a wedding (before family), so I enjoyed Clannad for giving a full showing of that aspect of life.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As long as it actually discusses some REAL bonds and doesn't paddle to moe factors, a gaggle of heroines, 40+ episodes, a ridiculous ending, and still be genuinely touching.... then sign me up!

I second that! Very Happy If it's got the right staff, then this might be a pretty good anime!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime will also be streamed on the Internet via YouTube for free

Seriously!? Sign me up!

And...the creator of this is seriously in her teens!? That's a first (well, except for the mangaka for La Corda D'Oro, who has the same birth year as me! 1993!)! Very Happy And it's been a long time since Koyama Mami has gotten a seiyuu role! I like some of her work so...sign me up for this anime! Very Happy
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
So is there anything bad going on in that area, like high divorce rate, juvenile deliquency?

If the kid has to use magic to understand her family, then the family has issues.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
One presumes this project's target audience shall have to be broader than that of Clannad. Attaining the explicit goal of raising public awareness might not be possible through attempting to replicate its appeal, regardless of the acclaim such a title enjoys within its core demographic.

The target audience seems to be young children, since the production committee is giving DVDs of the series to nurseries and schools.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The target audience seems to be young children, since the production committee is giving DVDs of the series to nurseries and schools

Nice. If this series would EVER be able to get licensed for the US (which is highly unlikely), I would SO show that to my kids!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
With true tears they have a guy who fantasizes over the "mystery" of shedding tears(I'm not spoiling anything that the first ep alone covers), only to see, along the way, spoiler[what magnitude of events can generate tears.]
It was... weird.

Hmmm. I guess I got a different impression of True Tears. I thought the whole message was spoiler[about leading a purposeful life]. In any case I really liked that show. I was rather surprised by it, actually. I thought it had tight, dense storytelling with no meandering. A lot of shows in that genre tend to meander a bit in fillers before getting to the meat of the story. True Tears was a good show in that respect since it didn't do that.
I haven't seen Angel Beats, but I have hopes for this one. The description looks pretty good. I wonder if it will get a license for R1 (streaming or otherwise).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1