• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Hentai Schmentai

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Did you mean Princess Maker? Or some other Princess blah? Because I'm pretty sure Tezuka's Princess Knight isn't what you're thinking about. ANN's autolink to the encyclopedia sends odd messages.

Anyhoo, back to the fun read of assorted crazy nerd stuff Smile Yay Answerman!

ADV released a few Korean films/series- Bastof Lemon, Michel, My Beautiful Girl Mari for example. I imagine these will go OOP very soon, so best to get while getting's good. It's still wierd no one has released Sky Blue- even if it's story wasn't good, the trailers and stills were promising, there were countless magazine articles about it at the time, and they even dubbed it. I guess either no one was interested, or they had too high an asking price.

Imavision just release Elsyium, a wierd Korean CGI anime movie, though I'm not sure if it has a Korean language track or not.
edit- yeah, it's english only http://imavision.com/fr/eStore,wciCatalogue,Type-P,ID-8657,LoadCat-1.html though I might dig up my disc to double check on that. http://imavision.com/fr/eStore,wciCatalogue,Type-P,ID-8661,LoadCat-1.html They also released Toy Warrior- most Korean shows seem to be kids shows for the most part.

Also, I'm guessing Baki's manga rights are in an odd place with the title having been a Raijin release [they never released collections, but it was serialized in every issue of the magazine]. VIZ's edition of Tough was a 6 vol "Best of" edition, based a japanese "best of" run similar to their edition of Golgo 13. Both are indeed pretty old, especially Baki. I imagine it has more of a chance given it's anime's still in print, but I too imagine that we're more likely to see a newer series get imported, or a shorter old series than a new edition of either of those.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure he meant Princess Lover since that does have a hentai version. Why do I know this?

I have a serious question: How much longer are going to be in this "Let's bash fanservice a thousand times a day and make it sound like it's dominating the industry when it's really not, and yes I know I can watch something else, but I like complaining a lot" tizzy? Just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Um... I hope Brian can answer this, but what do you mean for "the year they were released"? In Japan? In America? Do they have to have been actually eligible, or can we just make it up?

Edit:
Oh, and lest we think the men and women drawn totally different thing is a remnant of the past, check out some of the characters in Real Drive. Seriously, what the heck? As a woman, I suppose I appreciate the fanservice in that the men are all drawn realistically and really muscular, but still. It's weird.
Necrontry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yep, the first Korean animation that came to my mind was My Beautiful Girl Mari. It was quite good. the story wasn't to par with the animation but its not like it was drivel or anything terrible like that.

The flake was... interesting as always. I do hope the poster will get his my message of love to Sarah Hyland. I'm sure she'll answer back responsibly as any starlet would an obsessed fan. Although I've no clue why he'd ask that on ANN.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
another great answerman! that flake was just to much for me, I lost it.
And I loved hearing you guys bash Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt on anncast, I hate that show soooo much, its fans are almost as annoying as the show itself. almost. but overall funtime this week
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
baseball is the most popular sport in America.

Did baseball and (American)football swap names? Well anyway, I get the point you're making.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
another great answerman! that flake was just to much for me, I lost it.
And I loved hearing you guys bash Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt on anncast, I hate that show soooo much, its fans are almost as annoying as the show itself. almost. but overall funtime this week

I've got to go hear that...I watched eps 1 with great anticipation back when and boy it was bad, bad, bad.

And thank you Brian for the spoiler warnings on that one response - but I've got to add why would you say a bad ending got you out of the story? Its too late by that time!
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Early ANN reviews I read about Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt suggested the series might have flashes of brilliance in that animation ocean of bad taste. Some of the eps do an excellent job redefining the boundaries of terrible, 5a comes to mind; some of the eps are brilliant. Episode 6's parody of rules and structure in a school situation was an outright hoot. This show is real hit/miss but I continue to watch it anyway....something about unbridled delicious depravity...and it's in living color??!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
The guy or gal wanting to learn Korean needs to immerse themselves in some K-Drama. Just one small caveat: The boxsets are expensive as HELL. One boxset, i've seen go from at least $75 and up. Of course, you have alternatives.

To keep with the Anime theme, maybe Boys Over Flowers is in order (aka Hana Yori Dango).
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
also another show w/ a God awful ending: tsubasa resevoir chronicles...
ok maybe it wasn't that bad, but it was disappointing

and now i'm upset i didn't turn in an answer to this answerfans cause right when i went to reply to this post i saw the ad for "the last airbender" bluray and it made me wish so bad that i had said that i hate live action film adaptions of anime/cartoon shows Evil or Very Mad
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
Bad endings: Don't get me started on Air Gear. 25 episodes and then it just stops. To use the Angry Video Game Nerd's phrase, what a shitload of fudge! I really wanted to punch my computer monitor right then and there (I was watching it through fansubs at the time)! If anyone from Toei reads this, of if anyone on here knows someone who does work for that studio, heed this message: Either make more episodes of Air Gear and give it a proper ending, or pull a Hellsing Ultimate and make a new series that follows the manga!

Then there's Tokko. Just Tokko. The rest of the show was good, but the ending was nothing but a rushed cop-out.

And Trinity Blood. Seriously? That's how it ends? Just because the author of the novels the show was based on died is no legitimate excuse to fudge us over with that piss-poor excuse of an ending! If they can keep Star Trek going long after Gene Roddenberry died, there's no reason why they couldn't at least give Trinity Blood a proper ending!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
And Trinity Blood. Seriously? That's how it ends? Just because the author of the novels the show was based on died is no legitimate excuse to fudge us over with that piss-poor excuse of an ending! If they can keep Star Trek going long after Gene Roddenberry died, there's no reason why they couldn't at least give Trinity Blood a proper ending!

...unless you consider GONZO's track record on gecko endings, in which case you might be grateful for it. Still, the series' ending is disappointing as a result (the slow pace is also obviously the result of them stretching out a limited amount of material to cover 24 episodes).
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Um... I hope Brian can answer this, but what do you mean for "the year they were released"? In Japan? In America? Do they have to have been actually eligible, or can we just make it up?

Edit:
Oh, and lest we think the men and women drawn totally different thing is a remnant of the past, check out some of the characters in Real Drive. Seriously, what the heck? As a woman, I suppose I appreciate the fanservice in that the men are all drawn realistically and really muscular, but still. It's weird.

From a distance, they don't look too deformed. Look closer though, and even their legs look deformed!
At least the guys are drawn nicely...

Hmm, I've never seen Claymore, but I understand how the ending would frustrate a viewer/reader. Though I don't think that'd make it a bad ending per say. Just annoying.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

...unless you consider GONZO's track record on gecko endings, in which case you might be grateful for it. Still, the series' ending is disappointing as a result (the slow pace is also obviously the result of them stretching out a limited amount of material to cover 24 episodes).

That is one of the reasons why I hardly make blind purchases of anime. Air Gear/Trinity Blood/Tokko syndrome.

And is there some law that requires Gonzo to make their shows 24 episodes long? (Barring some exceptions such as SaiKano)
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Fanservice hate is old news.

But stuff like this is always fun to read:
Quote:
"Is she a human?"

I never thought about them like that. It was always too weird for me to handle.
Thankfully I managed to make it through one of them (Clannad). And the second season really paid off the effort I wasted on season one.
Maybe it's also worth to note that it took me nearly 40 episodes to get used to the designs.
I've never made it past episode 1 of kanon and air. I'll someday, because I know the story is good. But that design is just... I'd never handle that on BD and a huge screen, so my recommendation is, if you dislike the design, watch the lowest quality available.
And if you think their eyes alone is abominable that's because you haven't seen (Clannad AS spoiler) spoiler[Nagisa pregnant.] Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4