• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Universal's Bakugan Adds 2010 Karate Kid Helmer Zwart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
And NOW people are going to realize that Dragonball Evolution wasn't half bad. xD
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
And NOW people are going to realize that Dragonball Evolution wasn't half bad. xD
No, Dragonball: Evolution will still suck all the same. It just won't be relevant to the otaku anymore.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
No, Dragonball: Evolution will still suck all the same. It just won't be relevant to the otaku anymore.

Agreed. It was a poor excuse of a LA adaption and a massive insult towards Akira Toriyama for butchering his work. spoiler[Piccolo got the worst of it. I mean, making him take a god damn airplane when he can fly? Are you kidding me?] I was a huge fan of DBZ in my teen years and that piece of work was a slap in the face to the fans. They really could have done so much better.

I really don't have much faith in American versions of LA anime. Yet maybe, someday, they might impress me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
Bakugan is more Canadian than Japanese at this point. Nelvana produces the show, and gets TMS to animate it. But I'd have to imagine this movie will be animated as well... right?

Rukiia wrote:
Dumnerd wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Agreed. It was a poor excuse of a LA adaption and a massive insult towards Akira Toriyama for butchering his work. spoiler[Piccolo got the worst of it. I mean, making him take a god damn airplane when he can fly? Are you kidding me?] I was a huge fan of DBZ in my teen years and that piece of work was a slap in the face to the fans. They really could have done so much better.

Well that here is your problem. "I was a huge fan of DBZ". DragonBall Evolution didn't try to adapt what is known as "Dragon Ball Z". It attempted a bridge translation of the Pilaf and Piccolo Daimao archs of "DragonBall". Which makes your complaint (an insane one at that, there's many faults in the film that picking that one out is so off) null when you consider this:

Guess what Piccolo's in? Oh right, an airship. Dude might just want to rest while going around the world looking for seven tiny balls.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
I will watch the movie as long as it's animated and they use the same english VAs for all of the characters.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Well that here is your problem. "I was a huge fan of DBZ". DragonBall Evolution didn't try to adapt what is known as "Dragon Ball Z". It attempted a bridge translation of the Pilaf and Piccolo Daimao archs of "DragonBall". Which makes your complaint (an insane one at that, there's many faults in the film that picking that one out is so off) null when you consider this:

Guess what Piccolo's in? Oh right, an airship. Dude might just want to rest while going around the world looking for seven tiny balls.

The Piccolo thing is not the only complaint I have about the film. It is one of them and I stick by it, despite you feeling it is insane. It never explains how he got out of his prison and the DB warriors, when they are grown up, are usually shown flying around looking for the dragon balls because their flying speed is faster then aircrafts. He is, supposedly, egar in Evolution to get the dragon balls, killing pretty much everything that gets in the way, so why would he waste his time moving around in a slow ass plane? If you want more reasons on why I think this movie is terrible then here you go:

A) Acting - Bad. The actors/actresses acted as if they just wanted to get the film made as fast as possible.
B) Story - There were a number of things in the movie that made absolutely no sense (like Piccolo magically escaping from his 2000 years worth of imprisonment). If I didn't know a thing about DB I would have been awfully confused after seeing this.
C) CG - I mean, really? Goku's monkey form was a joke.
D) Character development - None what so ever. Thankfully I knew who the characters were thanks to the reading the manga/watching the TV show when I was a kid. Anyone else, however, would be confused as hell over who the characters are.

The only thing I will correct myself on is that I was a huge fan of the Dragon Ball franchise. Z was my most favorite, hense why I said it above, but I was also a fan of the first series. GT, eh....not so much considering they made it without any of Akira's influence as he felt the story was over and done with in the Z series.

And there you have it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Primus wrote:

The Piccolo thing is not the only complaint I have about the film. It is one of them and I stick by it, despite you feeling it is insane. It never explains how he got out of his prison and the DB warriors, when they are grown up, are usually shown flying around looking for the dragon balls because their flying speed is faster then aircrafts. He is, supposedly, egar in Evolution to get the dragon balls, killing pretty much everything that gets in the way, so why would he waste his time moving around in a slow ass plane? If you want more reasons on why I think this movie is terrible then here you go:

A) Acting - Bad. The actors/actresses acted as if they just wanted to get the film made as fast as possible.
B) Story - There were a number of things in the movie that made absolutely no sense (like Piccolo magically escaping from his 2000 years worth of imprisonment). If I didn't know a thing about DB I would have been awfully confused after seeing this.
C) CG - I mean, really? Goku's monkey form was a joke.
D) Character development - None what so ever. Thankfully I knew who the characters were thanks to the reading the manga/watching the TV show when I was a kid. Anyone else, however, would be confused as hell over who the characters are.

The only thing I will correct myself on is that I was a huge fan of the Dragon Ball franchise. Z was my most favorite, hense why I said it above, but I was also a fan of the first series. GT, eh....not so much considering they made it without any of Akira's influence as he felt the story was over and done with in the Z series.

And there you have it.

See, those are reasonable complaints. Complaining about a character being in an airship (when the film actually doesn't put into the context that these characters can fly such large distances) isn't, Piccolo uses the airship to breed henchmen anyways. In Evolution he uses some chair with needles, maybe he couldn't extract those henchmen without such a device?

As someone who knows a bit too much about Evolution, the CG Oozaru looks rushed for a reason. That wasn't something initially intended with the film. Now for the acting, I actually felt it was pretty servicable. Chatwin delivered some lines horribly, but overall everyone delivered cheesy martial arts style deliveries, which is what DragonBall is. But yeah, the story's all over the place, and no one actually becomes a character the audience wants to care about. The fighting sequences are also edited down way too much (and in other DBE media, we do know they filmed more than what ended up in the film), which is a bit of a shame since the choreography didn't seem half bad.

But yes, something something Bakugan movie! Evil or Very Mad
red255

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
I require the cast list before I make my snap decision.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
Primus: Meh, DB:E is still probably as accurate an adaptation as anything from Uwe Boll, which is just something that barely resembles the source material, but in the worst possible way. Laughing

As for a Bakugan movie, don't see the point, other than to cash in on that Shamalamadingdong fluke.
opn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
euston we have a crappy anime live action movie confirmed over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1