• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon's Short Manga Stories to be Published

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to it!

(Oh, the reprints ran in Monthly Comic Ryū, not Animage as stated in the article. Although the serialized manga did originally run in Animage.)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was a given. Whenever an artist/writer/musician dies they always find something lying around and publish it.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Such awesome news ... can't wait to see this early art by Satoshi Kon. Hope someone picks up the English-language rights.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so this is only going to be in Japan right? I know Kodansha does some of its own releasing in America, but I assume this is not one of them. I'm headed to Japan for only a brief time in July, but I will definitely keep my eyes out for this as the ultimate souvenir.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Amazon.co.jp will surely have it! Very Happy
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Wonderful--was deinitely intrigued by such works when ANN did a feature on him a couple months back. Sure hope that it'll somehow find its way to North America. Which should be more likely than ever, considering the license rescue and reprint that was done of Paranoia Agent--

Oh wait.

Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, this was a given. Whenever an artist/writer/musician dies they always find something lying around and publish it.

Well, this isn't Mark Twain....... Laughing
cheesechimp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
This is, unfortunately, highly unlikely to see a legitimate English release. Satoshi Kon is has somewhat of a niche audience, and as a step away from his usual medium this is likely to alienate many of his English-speaking fans. On top of that short stories compilations are generally worse sellers than longer forms of storytelling across all mediums. Even if licensing this was 100% free of cost, this would probably be a risky title for a publisher.
For those willing to obtain these works in more questionable manners, it's quite possible that a scanslator will decide to translate at least some of this into English. Many scanslators enjoy doing oneshots between volumes of their bigger projects, and Satoshi Kon is a big enough name that he might grab their attention. If you have a scanslation group you like to follow that you think would enjoy taking on this kind of a project, you could even send them a suggestion to give this a look. Some scanslators actually do take reader input into consideration.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Well, this isn't Mark Twain....... Laughing

Or Ernest Hemingway. That guy's practically published as much since he died than he did in his life.

cheesechimp wrote:
This is, unfortunately, highly unlikely to see a legitimate English release. Satoshi Kon is has somewhat of a niche audience, and as a step away from his usual medium this is likely to alienate many of his English-speaking fans. (...) For those willing to obtain these works in more questionable manners, it's quite possible that a scanslator will decide to translate at least some of this into English.

Kaikisen has been done, and well, by a high-quality scanlator team already, which is why I know I'd like to own a RL copy.

And while I agree that short story collections do not sell well (even in literature), I also don't really buy your "Satoshi Kon fans wouldn't want to read his manga because it's not anime" argument. Why not? We're fans, we want to honor the guy, we'd buy his manga. Or at least, I would.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
cheesechimp wrote:
Satoshi Kon is has somewhat of a niche audience, and as a step away from his usual medium this is likely to alienate many of his English-speaking fans.

And while I agree that short story collections do not sell well (even in literature), I also don't really buy your "Satoshi Kon fans wouldn't want to read his manga because it's not anime" argument. Why not? We're fans, we want to honor the guy, we'd buy his manga. Or at least, I would.

This.

Cheesechimp, c'mon, I mean really? Printing more of his work would alienate his fans? That's ridiculous. Even if you were only into anime how would the availability of his early manga work alienate anyone??

I've been a huge fan of Philip K Dick's writing for more than 20 years, but if I found out he had a sketchbook I would totally buy it -- it would not alienate me in the least to know he branched out into other media, but excite me, even if they were the roughest crudest sketches imaginable (as HP Lovecrafts simple drawings in letters to his fans often were). I still wish they'd publish PKD's interviews on mp3 so I could download them from iTunes or whatever.

Same goes for Satoshi Kon. I'd love to see prints of his daily sketchbooks for cryin out loud, storyboards for films, anything as long as it's more, more, more. I'd even love to just heft the weight of his work collected in volumes rather than seeing the drawings on screen. I'd love to know more about the way he drew and what he was interested in. In my case I can't get enough of Satoshi Kon, in any format. Hell, just thinking about it makes me want to smell the damn paper.

And yes, I'd buy mp3s of translated interviews of Satoshi Kon too. He's absolutely fascinating, I love and am constantly amazed by the way he thinks about the world.

Hell, I'd be interested in memoirs by acquaintances of his, just as I've been interested in memoirs of the friends of HP Lovecraft and Ludwig Wittgenstein, even something as obscure as notes taken by class members of Joseph Campbell's courses are interesting to me.
cheesechimp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I chose my words poorly when I said it was "likely to alienate many of his English-speaking fans." What I'm trying to say is not that there are no fans of Satoshi Kon who will buy a manga because it is written by Satoshi Kon. What I'm trying to say is that the number of Satoshi Kon fans who will spend money on a DVD of animation for the sole reason that it is directed by Satoshi Kon is relatively small, and at least some of those people would think twice before buying his manga because it isn't animated. For me, as a huge Satoshi Kon fan, a number of Satoshi Kon's best aspects as a director (for example: his inspired use of color, his characters' expressive and natural motion, and his stunning editing) don't carry over into the manga medium. I'd definitely be curious to see how his manga would turn out, but if it had a US release I would not be guaranteed to open my wallet like I will be when Dream Machine hits the States. This is coming from someone who has seen every one of his works at least twice. In the case of Paprika it's probably around ten times. Someone who is a huge fan of one or two of his works is highly unlikely to buy a book of his early manga from his name alone, because it is not the medium they expect from him. Basically it comes down to his die-hard fans and his die-hard fans alone to buy this and that's kind of a small market. If I feel mildly skeptical that this would be a purchase worth making, I'm willing to bet there are at least a few others within his die-hard fans that feel the same.
FlyingMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
This would be really interesting to see. Kon had an interesting way of creating some of the most inventive stuff. So to see this in the manga medium, I would enjoy seeing how this pans out. I mean not even closely as much of a fan of Tite Kubo, yet I purchased all of Zombie Powder knowing well in advance it is a manga that will never see completion (which really stinks because it is a hundred times better than Bleach). Every fan is different though. Here's to hoping we get to see this work in some form or fashion and hoping it is a legitimate hard copy I can put on my shelf next to the dvds and blu-rays that somehow are interesting enough that my 1.5 year old son will watch all the way through (well Paprika is used as a nice bedtime movie.)
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Like a client recently commented when she heard about Michael Jackson's new song: "How can a dead person release a new song?"
Nothing against Kon, of course, but why didn't they do that when he was alive?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
This is excellent news. Can't wait. Though I wonder if there were plans to do this before his passing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1