• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Simulcast Freezing Science-Fiction Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Surprising but sweet. The manga's pretty good, and as long as the anime doesn;t get too obsessed witht the fan-service aspect it can turn out alright.

Guess this is the alternative to the Fractle fiasco, and good to see Funi isn;t giving up on simulcasts outside of NotiAmiya shows.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow... did not see that coming.
matrixdude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't end up canceling this one too because of fansubs. If that becomes the new trend, it'll undo all the good legal streams have had over the past few years.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
So, they loose the simulcast for one of the better shows of this season, and then they pick up the simulcast for the worst show of the season... The anime industry is off to a... questionable start in 2011. Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this one got picked up because the fansubs I've seen for the series so far were all in 4:3 aspect ratio.

The big question here, though, is whether or not they'll be showing the censored or uncensored versions of the episodes. Based on Funi's past streaming efforts, I'm guessing we'll see the censored versions, and that will be disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
For streaming it will almost certainly be the already censored for broadcast rather than the premium satellite version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
So the obvious question: will this be simulcast to its completion are will the production committee behind it pull the plug if a fansubbed or ripped version shows up somewhere on the Interwebs?
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was honestly pretty unexpected.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, might check this out, since Takashi Watanabe is directing...
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm glad this one got picked up because the fansubs I've seen for the series so far were all in 4:3 aspect ratio.

The big question here, though, is whether or not they'll be showing the censored or uncensored versions of the episodes. Based on Funi's past streaming efforts, I'm guessing we'll see the censored versions, and that will be disappointing.

Yeah, I know Freezing is shown uncensored on AT-X, that channel is known for broadcasting uncensored anime. I would love to watch this anime uncensored. I don't like watching censored anime. I hope Funimation can use the AT-X broadcast version.

I guess this simulcast will have to make up for Fractale incident. I wonder how's Funimation with that fiasco?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The big question here, though, is whether or not they'll be showing the censored or uncensored versions of the episodes.

One thing to note is that I'm pretty sure all uncensored versions are shown in 4:3 whereas the censored versions are shown in 16:9.

This is just yet another way producers have come up with to get otaku to buy the BD. If they want to see 16:9 HD tits at least.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, for a second I got this and IS confused and was really puzzled why TAN and Funi were streaming the same thing, shows you how much attention I pay to shows I don't watch. And I guess it's a good thing that Funimation still is going ahead with simulcasts after the Fractale thing, I know I'd be a little terrified to work with the Japanese again after that.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This is great news.

My guess would be is that Funi will stream the censored version and release the uncensored version on DVD/Blu-Ray, when they acquire the master copies and distribue the R1 release.
mantaray3001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This was unexpected indeed.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
so wait how long will this one last till the come up with Fractal point and pull the same stunt. I am betting around episode one. The new game in town.

though i hope to see that not happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4