• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Get Off My Lawn

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I know exactly how that person feels who asked the question about finding their anime/manga in stores.

I used to have a Suncoast, FYE and a Waldenbooks 5 minutes from my house.. and a new Best Buy, Barnes & Noble and another Suncoast within a 30 minute drive.

The Suncoast down the road from me closed over a year ago. I just went to Waldenbooks last week to find out that it's closing it's doors on Jan 31st. FYE doesn't sell anime outside of a few DBZ & Naruto boxsets. (Bleh!)

The other Suncoast was originally spared a closing since it apparently made out very well... until last month, when it closed after Christmas. The new Best Buy doesn't even have a DVD section, and while the Barnes & Noble does have a decent sized manga selection - they never seem to stock the titles I read (Ouran Host Club, Black Butler) and it's a pain driving out there.

Now I have to buy everything online, and that makes me annoyed because at least I could have saved a few bucks on shipping costs by buying at retail stores. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
Alright, so! Next week, I have something to ask of you that should hopefully restore your sanity:

Now you've got this week's question, and it's time to get answerin'.

My sanity must still be lacking, as I see no question. Shocked
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
there is no question for next week.... there is just a blank spot where it should be.
Duraccano

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Yesssss i love screamer's violin covers!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:
Now I have to buy everything online, and that makes me annoyed because at least I could have saved a few bucks on shipping costs by buying at retail stores. Crying or Very sad

Such is a luxury I have only encountered a small number of times. That one's purchases are finalised electronically is only to be expected nowadays. Calling oneself a financially-supportive anime fan without relying almost exclusively upon the internet would be highly restrictive and most probably financially unsustainable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maigraith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
For the first response from Ahren, if they had a paypal account shouldn't they have a bank account and thus an ATM card so why would it be more difficult to buy from rightstuf?

Also Damekko Doubutsu stuff would be awesome:D
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Wait. Kiyoko, why are you paying for shipping? For that matter, didn't chains like Suncoast routinely charge full retail price for videos? Buying online may not offer the same instant gratification as visiting a brick and mortar store, but if you're doing it right, it should at least be easier on the wallet.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't remember hearing about the Eva phones back in 2009, but I had to see what kind of phone would cost $9000. I looked at ANN's article and it says the phone was $900, not $9000. Which is still fairly crazy, but yeah, at least it's not the cost of a used car.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Usually I just breeze past the "Flake of the Week" part, but Chrono Trigger music! They even covered my favorite piece, "Wind Scene", first!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I sympathize with whoever wrote the first question, but it's hard to feel sorry for him when I've had it far worse for years. Back when I first started buying anime you could get it at a few locations in Dublin if you were prepared to pay exorbitant prices (36 euro for Ghost in The Shell!). Now you can buy a small selection of movies at HMV and that's it- I haven't seen a single volume of a series in shops for years, and you could never get boxed sets.

So cheer up Americans- you've got it good compared to us Europeans Smile
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Our "fandom" also consists of a lot of angry, embittered nerds on the internet who cower in anonymity and are so completely esconced in their little insular worlds that different opinions provoke violent, upsetting rhetoric.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Angry? Angry? That's a bit of a misconception, calling us angry. Everything else is spot on, but next time please call us sullen, embittered nerds instead. It sounds cooler.

On a more serious note, I personally prefer to buy my anime goods online, because then I don't have to deal with the embarrassment of having to look someone in the face when I purchase something like Sekirei with the words "Boobies for the win" boldly inscribed on the box. Besides, buying online is twice the fun -- Once when you make the purchase and again when it is delivered.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
What's the question?! I MUST KNOW!

Ahem...

I almost wrote in for last week. There is one figure I want more than anything. It's a fig of Aigis from Persona 3, posed jumping and shooting. Pretty much every Aigis fig I've seen has a pretty derp face, but not this one. I've never had any beef with ALTER figs, and this was glorious. And not only that, but like many ALTER figs it wasn't horrifically expensive.

It was set to come out before Christmas 2007. I was ready with money in hand. But then it got delayed to January. Then February. Then Early March. This got me really sweating, because I was leaving towards the end of March, to a situation where I wouldn't be able to get it. And sure enough, it got delayed again. By the time I was even in a situation to get her, it was two years later, and she was long since sold out, and is currently going for $600 or more on eBay.

Here's a review of it.

Last edited by TheRoyalFamily on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Our "fandom" also consists of a lot of angry, embittered nerds on the internet who cower in anonymity and are so completely esconced in their little insular worlds that different opinions provoke violent, upsetting rhetoric.

How dare you? I'll now boycott this column.

But I too am ashamed of what other people do. I mean, we're all soulmates, right?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Brian wrote:
Alright, so! Next week, I have something to ask of you that should hopefully restore your sanity:

Now you've got this week's question, and it's time to get answerin'.

My sanity must still be lacking, as I see no question. Shocked

Send in a response anyway.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I do prefer to buy online mainly for two reasons. One is choice, which I don't really have to explain that, and second is cost. Now if the B&M stores could price wise more competitive with online stores on a regular basis then I would be more likely to balance my purchases between both online and B&M.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4