• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SyFy to Start Chrono Crusade in February

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
A very nice choice by the channel formerly known as Sci-Fi.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Well it's good to see more anime on American TV, even if it is an older series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
keikanna44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
^ agreed.

I'm glad they chose that show. It's pretty good.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:

Until the ending, which is horrible....

How as the dub? I might watch one of the earlier episodes, I've always been curious about it since I heard that it tried to match the slang of the era.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

How as the dub? I might watch one of the earlier episodes, I've always been curious about it since I heard that it tried to match the slang of the era.

While I can't vouch for the episodes leading up to it, I loved the ending (besides the epilogue). I found it utterly heartbreaking.

And in my opinion, the dub is one of ADV's weaker, one that doesn't pull off the emotional shifts between the serious and comedic elements of the show. Hilary Haag in particular was near-unlistenable as Rosette. It had some quality elements (the fact that Tiffany Grant could speak German really helped her performance of Satella), but overall, it's quite mediocre. It's a shame too. I always prefer to watch shows set in English speaking countries dubbed.

Anyways, It's cool to see Chrono Crusade getting some more publicity, even though I live in Canada where sadly, our Sci-Fi themed channel (Space) turned it's back on anime after a failed run in the late 90's/Early 2000's.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow.... I never thought this will be shown on TV. Good choice Syfy.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Well it's good to see more anime on American TV, even if it is an older series.

It's a nice choice. It seems to me a lot of the boom-era shows that didn't get tv runs when they were released would make good TV pickups now for Syfy's anime lineup
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Now i can watch it for my 11th time through. =)

spoiler[ I saw nothing wrong with the ending even if it was kinda sad, then again the people who seem to have a problem with it are the manga fans (which i havnt read) so yeah. I like the ending it's bittersweet in a poetic sort of way.]
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
How convenient that the new release of the Chrono Crusade series box set comes out February 22nd. Only $30 on Right Stuf.

Lance Heiskell
Friendly FUNimation Marketing Directory Guy
...and huckster
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

While I can't vouch for the episodes leading up to it, I loved the ending (besides the epilogue). I found it utterly heartbreaking.

And in my opinion, the dub is one of ADV's weaker, one that doesn't pull off the emotional shifts between the serious and comedic elements of the show. Hilary Haag in particular was near-unlistenable as Rosette. It had some quality elements (the fact that Tiffany Grant could speak German really helped her performance of Satella), but overall, it's quite mediocre. It's a shame too. I always prefer to watch shows set in English speaking countries dubbed.

I think I must disagree with this mostly. It isn't the grandest or strongest of ADV's dubbing collection but I don't think it's a terrible dub by a long shot. The first few episodes are kind of clumsily handled maybe in the shift of drama but as the episodes go on, it only gets better. The entire series if full of mood whiplash including the full spin by the (Seventh?) episode where things become horrifyingly dark.

They did their homework and found some pretty common slang of the era, even using some that today wouldn't be very PC. So I give thumbs up for the dub. Jessica Boone is a darling Azmaria! ~^^~

Don't get the hate over the ending really. Seemed fine to me, granted it is pretty different form the manga but really shouldn't be a surprise an anime is going to differ from it's manga counterpart.

Good pick for Sci-Fi Channel
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey you know what? Like Sci-Fi changed their name to SyFy, they could do something funky with the name of the show, like changing it to "Chrno Crusade".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
How convenient that the new release of the Chrono Crusade series box set comes out February 22nd. Only $30 on Right Stuf.

Lance Heiskell
Friendly FUNimation Marketing Directory Guy
...and huckster

I still don't get how you guys didn't give it your "Classics" label.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I definitely want to see this, at least I'll have an anime I want to watch that's not something I own already or have seen.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Holy **** yes! I've been wanting to see this anime for some time, and now it's on! Thank you, Syfy!
clipeuh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
So this is the first FUNi show to air on SyFy. A sign of more to come, perhaps?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4