• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo's Urusei Yatsura License Expires in September

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Considering that the show is fairly old and may not be as popular as newer shows (I personally enjoyed reading the manga several years ago and watching the anime several years ago as well.) but times have changed since then.

First Ah My Goddess (which seems like it was a long time ago) then the Karate show couldn't be completed and now this.

Although it has been quite some time (probably years at this point and time) AnimEigo sure did some great dubbing work. To this day, I had wished AnimEigo had licensed Your Under Arrest Season two instead of Sentai. Not that there is anything wrong with Sentai, but they didn't dub the season. Normally, that is alright, but just as the first season was actually going somewhere, since at the time was licensed, it was have well had a series conclusion at season one.

Oh well, perhaps some day the second season will be dubbed. But at least AnimEigo is still in business. As I have said elsewhere, I am surprised they are still in business.
O-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
I'm actually quite surprised that the license is just running out NOW in 2011. This series was one of the first long-running series to be released on video, as despite how much time it took Animeigo, they completely released the entire series around 2006-2007 on DVD. So far under their wing Oh My Goddess, Kimagure Orange Road, and Macross have all left them. At least Animeigo had this series out long enough that it didn't feel like a rug was being pulled from underneath collector's.

But this should remind anime fans: If it came out in the 80's or 90's. BUY IT WHILE YOU CAN!

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
If I'm lucky, I'll have the dough to salvage the rest of it before September, but now I have to worry about availability. Crying or Very sad I'm still hoping Discotek might bring it back, but I have a feeling only Viz will be allowed to get an option on it, since they claimed that happened to 'em last time.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
So first Orange Road, then Ah! My Goddess, and now Urusei Yatsura, with a few other losses here and there, that's pretty much the last of their still marketable licenses. Though it really does seem like they've only just been sitting on these licenses so maybe it's for the best that they trim the fat (or let the fat trim itself) and take things in a different direction.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Back when AnimEigo was licensing Urusei Yatsura all those years ago, the Japanese licensors were more likely to give a lot more years in the deal because foreign licenses were just an afterthought. That's probably what happened.
Onikuno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
I bought the bulk of the series when rightstuf had their monster discount sale for the individual discs years back. UY was Takahashi at her comedic best. I need to get a vault for all of my OOP DVDs so they'll stay safe.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
Someone needs to rescue Urusei Yatsura by then.

And why hasn't anyone picked Kimagure Orange Road back up? The DVDs are too expensive to buy, even on eBay!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

And why hasn't anyone picked Kimagure Orange Road back up? The DVDs are too expensive to buy, even on eBay!

Don't take this the wrong way, I wish someone would rescue the Kimagure Orange Road license too (and release the manga in English, though I have all of it in French) but I suspect the answer to the question is "the Japanese licensor is asking for too much money for any American distributor to possibly make a profit re-licensing it".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
I am glad I got all the volumes of Urusei Yatsura and Kimagure Orange Road before they went OOP. Now if only they would license the rest of YAWARA!. It is a great series but maybe too old school for the most? Well, I happen to love old school anime.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that rightstuf might pick this up. With everything else they are picking up it seems right down there alley.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
Luckily Ah My Goddess S1 was picked up by Media Blasters and S2 by Funimation. Just need the Tatakau Tsubasa OVAs and the next one on Feb 23 released here.

It would be nice if Yawara and KOR (with redone subs) were also picked up by others who thinks they can be profitable. I've got some KOR VHS bootlegs and the final movie but I'd immediately snatch up a box set of the entire collection, plus post-movie ovas.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
Ahhh... I was considering buying this series in the future... but was delaying it... ugh, so much money for a long series... That full collection of Ranma 1/12 was relatively pricey too... *sigh* I might want to move this up on the priority list... but then, I have a pile of other things I'm missing since I haven't stocked up in awhile.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think the biggest surprise is that AnimeEigo is still in business. I love the guys, and they've done some stellar work over the years, but their business acumen has been somewhat lacking.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
Quick, somebody alert Robert Bricken!
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Honestly, I think the biggest surprise is that AnimeEigo is still in business. I love the guys, and they've done some stellar work over the years, but their business acumen has been somewhat lacking.

From what I understand they don't make most of their money off of their Anime it's the live-action samurai movies that have been the money makers for them. So I wouldn't be surprised if they let all their anime licenses expire and focus exclusively on samurai movie and such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4