• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vice Versus

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
FK put out Super Cosplay War Ultra, a freeware fighter that wasn't really deep, but it was a lot of fun. If anything, it's worth looking up for the fact that one of the characters has a super move based on the death of Karou from Eva.

And I'd wish Guinness would stop making up categories just so one of their writers can have an excuse to go on about one of their favorite developers.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
Oh gawd did I hate Skies of Arcadia. I think it's the only game I trashed which resulted in hate mail. And I'm trying to like the Phantasy Stars because I was told it was by the same creator, but not getting anywhere there, either. Crying or Very sad
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
well, my three MvC3 teams are as follows:

Team Stylin': Dante/Deadpool/Amaterasu

Team Eat-Your-Face: Zero/Akuma/Wolverine

Team Sexy: Phoenix/Crimson Viper/X-23

I'm hoping they add some of the more glaring omissions (like Gambit, Ghost Rider, and Frank West) as DLC; CAPCOM even had the fans make suggestions on their official forums. My biggest complaints about the game have to do with content rather than design; for instace there's no proper single player mode, no spectator in online, and no CPU option in Versus. The MvC3 team needs to start patching things and adding features via DLC. However, the gameplay is still fine and as fun as ever
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say I picked up Hyperdimension Neptunia over the weekend and played it for several hours. I'm actually extremely impressed with it. I'm playing it in Japanese, so I can't vouch for the quality of the English dub, but the visuals are gorgeous, the dungeons are serviceable and the battles are fun and very customizable. And the facepalm-ing-ness of the anthropomorphised characters and humor is rather endearing, imho. Really glad I picked this game up.

As for the column, great job again, Todd. I always love reading your stuff. The MvC3 write-up was entertaining, even if I have no plans to ever play it. I look forward to your review of Tales of Graces F whenever it comes out.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
no spectator in online

...thiiiiiis. I think this is my only big complaint - go to a lobby with more than two people and you get to sit around watching two business cards do the tango for five years. If they patch anything sooner rather than later, it should be this.

Aside from that, though, it's pretty much exactly what they were promising and showing these past few months, it's great fun. I'd also say to any beginners holding off, if you want to play any Vs games at all, it should be this one: it's easy to make things happen!

I'm not terribly upset over the Sentinel situation just yet, if only because we're still so early in the game's life and just about everyone has good, interesting options to cultivate. I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out a year, six months...heck, a couple days from now.

Last edited by Captain Crotchspike on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
I'll never understand why Dynamite Cop!! was always considered bad, and Zombie Revenge was considered good. Dynamite Cop!! is possibly my favorite beat 'em up of all time, and Zombie Revenge is...well, I won't say it's one of the worst, because there are some seriously terrible beat 'em ups (Vigilante is the worst), but it's not one I've bothered to finish.

Also, Galactus, cheap? He's the easiest final boss ever. I can beat him blindfolded on hard, his attacks are so scripted once you've fought him a couple times there's no excuse to be hit by anything, except maybe his snapback.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
Sad to see I was right about what would happen with Sentinel. Why did Capcom feel the need to purposely keep the unbalanced nature of Marvel Vs. Capcom? There was a reason why Street Fighter III was considered the best competitive game until Street Fighter IV came out.

I also agree about Akuma his overhyped, and overused for a character whose supposed to be this badass loner . You named a couple of characters like Jon Talbain, Lynn Kurosawa, or Strider who could have been much better characters to use.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
Ah, Xenogears, we meet again. I'm not actually one of those people who falls onto the hate side or love side. I'm one of those who likes it.... most of the time, and can appreciate the boldness of the entire venture. BUT...... it has problems. Major problems. In fact, problems so major, I sometimes question whether the people who hail it as the greatest game ever made actually love it for the game it wants to be instead of the game it IS. But that crosses a major line in subjective opinion and leads to lots of arguments rife with caps lock.

I used to be able to fill ten paragraphs on my issues with the story, but there's the website "Xenogears: A Rope of Robots" which reveals the silly side of the story in Xenogears in still images with humorous dialogue (And by someone who loves the game, so it's more playful than mean. Plus, it has those hidden captions when you hover the mouse over a picture that people who read the X Button regularly know and love). It takes a LONG time to sift through (And he isn't even through disc 1!), but it's very worth it. It also has the one of the most boss website addresses on the web:

http://whatdoesgodneedwithastarship.com/

But aside from the overuse of pronouns, religious words accentuated by ridiculous punctuation, and LONG cutscenes (Especially before hard boss fights) made almost intolerable by slow text speed that can't be changed, the act of playing the game is...... kinda' blah. The graphics are ugly, and while people may rush to defend it for "being pretty good at the time," no. I was there. While the early anime cutscenes and subtle graphical flourishes at the beginning (Looking at Fei's paintings, for instance) are nice, it quickly degenerates to drab grays and browns and bland hallway after bland hallway. Then there's dealing with the RIDICULOUS encounter rate. I actually began to get stomach pains from the sound of the PS1 loading because there were so many battles. I don't care how good of a system you have. Even when I LOVE a battle system (Resonance of Fate), at 40, 50, 60 hours of being constantly bombarded, anything becomes too much. And thanks to constant battles and bland surroundings, it becomes way too easy to get lost and forget where you're going, and-thanks to the game forgetting to tell you-sometimes not even knowing WHAT you're doing.

But when Xenogears comes together, it REALLY comes together amazingly, like the last 5-10 hours of the first disc, so I can sort of understand people who get deeply attached. It just has too many glaring issues for me to put it at a level greater than "good."
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote
The reason I love Trish in MvC3 is not because of her character but because she's got a giant scythe, a move that plants a trap on the ground that hits anybody who steps on it, another move that puts a trap in midair that holds people in place, and a super attack that opens up a big mystic circle that sprays death at her enemies. So she's basically Testament, only she wears pants.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sad to see I was right about what would happen with Sentinel. Why did Capcom feel the need to purposely keep the unbalanced nature of Marvel Vs. Capcom? There was a reason why Street Fighter III was considered the best competitive game until Street Fighter IV came out.

Considering that Street Fighter III's balance was a complete joke, where three characters that walked all over the rest of it's roster, I'm kind of failing to see your point.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that Dreamcast Collection is pretty much the worst collection ever, especially when you consider that both Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi are already available on XBLA and they haven't exactly aged well, to put it mildly. After the excellent SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection I was expecting something a lot better. Here's hoping they'll give some more thought to Dreamcast Collection 2. Of course, Saturn and Mega CD would be nice too.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was odd to see the reboot version of Rad Spencer be in MvC3, but after using him I have to say that he's one my new favorites, so I won't complain about him being put in. Do I wish for certain characters to have been put in? Sure, as I do wish that Hayato Kanzaki, Jin Saotome, and Strider Hiryu were all in MvC3 but the present line-up is still very enjoyable.

That said, though, I will admit that I still prefer Tatsunoko vs. Capcom over Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Overall it still just feels more enjoyable, though MvC3 certainly is no slouch in the enjoyment factor.
GospelX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Skies of Arcadia took me a couple of attempts to get into, but after that I had trouble putting down the controller. It's one of those games that has a horrible first 1/3. I get why people may not like it, but it's far from a game worth hating.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of shooters, Bulletstorm is pretty damn sweet. Check it out if you remember when shooters were actually fun (Painkiller, anyone?).
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I just wanted to say I picked up Hyperdimension Neptunia over the weekend and played it for several hours. I'm actually extremely impressed with it. I'm playing it in Japanese, so I can't vouch for the quality of the English dub, but the visuals are gorgeous, the dungeons are serviceable and the battles are fun and very customizable. And the facepalm-ing-ness of the anthropomorphised characters and humor is rather endearing, imho. Really glad I picked this game up.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this one quite a bit as well. It sounds great and on the 2D side of things it's very clean and colorful, but I've got issues on the 3D side. For a PS3 game I expected more out of the 3D rendering, it's very sluggish and choppy. When we first see the goddesses duke it out the first thing that came to mind was Final Fantasy VII, only cleaner. That's not really a good thing. It's still fun to play, but my expectations were pretty high considering how many companies were involved. Hoping Ar tonelico Qoga does a better job on the 3D since the battles are in real time, but Atelier Rorona was a little sluggish in the 3D, too, so I'm not so sure.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3