• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Museum: 800-Year-Old 'Manga' Scroll Had 2 Sides

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
Calling something made before the 19th century "manga" is a completely arbitrary decision. There's no need to have a "dispute" over what is essentially personal opinion.
M7AS Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that manga in 'book-form' (ex. you have to turn the page) rather than one-sided panels could have existed so long ago.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote
@Shiii: Well, if manga literally means "whimsical pictures", I could imagine that a 13th century Japanese artist would consider his walking frogs to be whimsical. I'm willing to apply the word to this, even if the implied lineage from this to Astro Boy is tenuous at best.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
M7AS Pilot wrote:
It's interesting that manga in 'book-form' (ex. you have to turn the page) rather than one-sided panels could have existed so long ago.

Paper, or equivalent writable material, was incredibly expensive before industrialization. If paper today was $100 per sheet, would you say "Well, I already have something on one side. I won't use the other side?" It would be more amazing if they didn't use both sides.

More remarkable is that it exists at all. The fact that it does speaks to the wealth of the author to expend writable material on something as comparatively frivolous as a cartoon.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Shii wrote:
Calling something made before the 19th century "manga" is a completely arbitrary decision. There's no need to have a "dispute" over what is essentially personal opinion.

In fact, calling something made before Tezuka "manga" is completely arbitrary. And probably not true at all.
akumakun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
call it manga.. more like a doujinshi.
Oh, btw guys, did you read the other news... They just found another set of 750 years old scrolls believed to be the first scanlations ever! Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1