• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bunny Drop/Usagi Drop Manga to End in Japan in April

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Since Bunny Drop's sporadic Japanese release has a definite end anyway, can Yen Press release it a little bit faster now? Wink
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Been holding off on reading the story so far but I liked the little bit of it I read in Barnes and Nobel. Wonder how much of the story the anime will be able to adapt, if it's got an ending I hope that they manage to cover all of it.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to read the read final chapter in...March...of..2014. Wooh.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
I can't wait to read the read final chapter in...March...of..2014. Wooh.

Yea, Yen Press is a great company but their release schedules are ridiculous. Three books a year (four if the series is popular) is just no good.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also want a faster release schedule, especially now that the series is finishing. I know a book every other month is practically impossible for a series like this (isn't Higurashi the only Yen title that gets 6 books a year?), but perhaps a volume every three months like the majority of the releases? The 6 month thing is difficult.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, it's Yen Press' slow release schedule that makes me not want to collect series from them. 3 months seems to be my max with being able to accept a delay to 4 here and there (and for ongoing stuff...well I'm just out of luck, aren't I? Like I soon shall be with Ooku from Viz, which comes out at a rate of, what, one volume per year about in Japan since it's bi monthly? Once they release vol 6, the wait is on!), but for completely done stuff, what gives? Right now, the only thing I'm collecting from them is Cirque du Freak, I might reconsider Bunny Drop if they bump up the releases to at least every 4 months.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Good thing they're not milking it to death. Laughing
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing there aren't enough people buying the series to justify a faster release schedule? Hopefully Yen Press will finish the series' run. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Genet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Higurashi is also, I think, their longest series they're doing. It's disappointing that they have very slow release schedules for most of their series. But Higurashi is (I think) 32 volumes long- if they were doing a once every 4 months schedule, good god, I just wouldn't be able to have the patience to follow it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like good news to me. Didn't expect to hear this announcement anytime soon considering last year's column. I'll be looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll be able to finish soon enough.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
So that'll make it 9 volumes total? Looking forward to it!

Also, I don't share everyone else's impatience in Yen Press's release schedule--I'd rather they do their manga right in the best quality rather than do a rush job, and not run into the same problems as Tokyopop and Viz. Besides, I have plenty of other reading material to tide me over until the next volume of Bunny Drop, Higurashi, or what other Yen Press Title does come out.

And was that really Ken'ichi Matsuyama in the film version? I should've recognized him in the trailer. Geez, this superstar of Japanese movies really is in everything! (not really a complaint, by the way)
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

Also, I don't share everyone else's impatience in Yen Press's release schedule--I'd rather they do their manga right in the best quality rather than do a rush job, and not run into the same problems as Tokyopop and Viz.

Higurashi comes out every 2 months, and I have nothing bad to say about the quality of Higurashi. I mean, I dunno what the deal is with there release schedule, but I just don't think quality is the issue, at least most the time.
stonehand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Also, I don't share everyone else's impatience in Yen Press's release schedule--I'd rather they do their manga right in the best quality rather than do a rush job, and not run into the same problems as Tokyopop and Viz.

Higurashi comes out every 2 months, and I have nothing bad to say about the quality of Higurashi. I mean, I dunno what the deal is with there release schedule, but I just don't think quality is the issue, at least most the time.

No, quality is not the issue. Yen is actually using their heads for something other than a hat rack. Remember who one of the founders is- Kurt Hassler, former manga/graphic novel buyer for Borders/Waldenbooks. He knows what the market will support. So, he has tailored their release schedule to the realities of the real world. The Borders chapter 13 filing has just made their release schedule more realistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1