• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Robot Week - Cartoon Network

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm....ya know, I saw a similiar press release that said it would only be segments of the shows.

Quote:
Giant Robot Week will include segments from classics series like Gigantor, Robotech and Evangelion; series that have never before been seen on US television like Dai-Guard and Nadesico; and Cartoon Network's first original Giant Robot short, Lowbrow.

I wonder which is correct....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Hmmm....ya know, I saw a similiar press release that said it would only be segments of the shows.

Quote:
Giant Robot Week will include segments from classics series like Gigantor, Robotech and Evangelion; series that have never before been seen on US television like Dai-Guard and Nadesico; and Cartoon Network's first original Giant Robot short, Lowbrow.

I suspect it is more likely just excerpts, can ayou tell us where you found that? (so I can make an update)
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Here's the release....it's from the ToonZone forums (http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64950...however, their forums are kinda bogged down right now...too many connections.)
Quote:
This February is the ultimate battle of the Giant Metal Machines as Toonami launches the first Giant Robot Week, Monday, February 24, 2003 to Friday, February 28, 2003 from 4 to 5 pm every day! The week-long event features some of the best action and anime series ever created. It all builds up to a smashing conclusion with the presentation of the acclaimed animated feature The Iron Giant at 8 pm on Friday, February 28, 2003.

The "Giant Robot" series has been an anime staple since its beginnings, and Cartoon Network has done everything in their search for the best examples of this genre. Giant Robot Week will include segments from classics series like Gigantor, Robotech and Evangelion; series that have never before been seen on US television like Dai-Guard and Nadesico; and Cartoon Network's first original Giant Robot short, Lowbrow.

Here's a description of the four main series:

Evangelion, one of the most revered anime series, centers on an apocalyptic vision of the earth as it is being ravaged by a mysterious alien force known as the "Angels." Only a special kind of mecha, the Evangelions, and a young pilot, Shinji Ikari, can stop these aliens. The show will air on Monday, Febuary 24, 2003 and Tuesday, February 25, 2003 at 4:30 pm.

Dai-Guard was supposed to be the Earth's first line of defense against alien invasion. However, by the time the robot was completed, the invaders had mysteriously disappeared. That's good, as the contract to build the robot went to the lowest bidder and it has a few... problems. Unfortunately, the invaders return and Dai-Guard -- accompanied by a crew of office workers and tour guides -- has to fight against the aliens. The show will air Thursday, February 27, 2003 and Friday, February 28, 2003 at 4:00 pm.

Nadiesco centers around a large battleship which was built in the wake of alien attacks on Earth's colonies on Mars, to protect said colonies. They had a bit of trouble staffing the battleship, and the result is a crew consisting of a rather vacant daughter of a General, a cook who puts on a battlesuit and battles the aliens, a voice actress, as well as more inexperienced workers. The show will air Monday, February 24, 2003 to Wednesday, February 26, 2003 at 4:00 pm.

Making its return to Toonami, Robotech is the popular 1980s anime dub that adapted and combined Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. "Giant Robot Week" will concentrate on the most popular portion, the "Macross" adaptation. Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes, and Captain Henry Gloval head the Robotech Defense Force. Their task is to put an end to the alien invasion of the gigantic humanoid Zentraedi. This show will air Wednesday, February 26, 2003 to Friday, February 28, 2003 at 4:30 pm.

Sean Akins, Toonami creative director, said about the event "Our goal at Toonami is to bring the finest action cartoons out there to our fans, and there's no doubt we love 'giant robot' shows. When we first started talking about Giant Robot Week, these are the series that popped into our heads. This will be an incredible week for our viewers."

You can discuss this event here on our Toonami forum. Special thanks to Matthew Williams for show descriptions.

[Source: Cartoon Network Press Release]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow. And for a moment I thought it was April 1st already. Razz I guess I was wrong when I said "Evangelion will never, ever air on CN."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Note that they call this the "first" Robot Week...

Btw, was something unclear in the article? Maybe I misunderstood something, but I'm fairly certain it's accurate.
CaptainTanuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

Quote:

Maybe "segments" is used because they're only showing a few episodes, instead of the entire series.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:35 pm Reply with quote
unclear in the one ANN posted? Yeah....there's a discrepancy. In the ANN one, it says segments of Gigantor will be shown, but in the ToonZone one, it says segments of all of them. (In other words, the ANN one hints that it will be full episodes of Eva and the rest....the ToonZone one says straight out that it's only segments of the shows.)
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Lowbrow was an pretty amusing short, they should make a series out of that.

i don't think Neon Genesis will be gone for long. there will be a huge demand for it, just like with CowBoy Bebop and Inuyasha. the only way it'll go is if ADV says otherwise.
CaptainTanuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
unclear in the one ANN posted? Yeah....there's a discrepancy. In the ANN one, it says segments of Gigantor will be shown, but in the ToonZone one, it says segments of all of them. (In other words, the ANN one hints that it will be full episodes of Eva and the rest....the ToonZone one says straight out that it's only segments of the shows.)

I don't know, even when I read the ToonZone post, the half hour schedule for the "four main series" makes it sound like they'll be showing full eps.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

Perhaps Toon Zone knows something we don't...but the press release from CN (reprinted in full here) mentions "segments" only of Gigantor. I suppose I would have to call it speculation that Eva, Nadesico et al will be full episodes because that was not explicitly stated in the PR, but they're scheduled at half-hour intervals, so I don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion.

The Toon Zone post appears to be a rewording of the Cartoon Network press release. The part mentioning "segments from classics series like Gigantor, Robotech and Evangelion" is an improper assumption, in my opinion, if their sole source was the same press release that ANN obtained. If you think I'm misinterpreting something (or better yet, have other information), please let me know. I'll see what I can do to clarify to the best of my knowledge.
CaptainTanuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:10 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Lowbrow was an pretty amusing short, they should make a series out of that.

i don't think Neon Genesis will be gone for long. there will be a huge demand for it, just like with CowBoy Bebop and Inuyasha. the only way it'll go is if ADV says otherwise.

I'm not totally sure about this, but I heard that Gainax won't allow NGE to air unless it's completely unedited. Can they show Eva totally uneditted on Adult Swim?
Magister_L

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:18 pm Reply with quote
i actually doubt that NGE will air on Adult Swim without editing. If cenors wont allow DB, a 1980s show, without editing i dont think censors will let the mass amount of blood, small amounts of nudity, gore, etc. air on US tv. GOD DAMN CENSORS!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:10 pm Reply with quote
CaptainTanuki wrote:
I'm not totally sure about this, but I heard that Gainax won't allow NGE to air unless it's completely unedited. Can they show Eva totally uneditted on Adult Swim?

Evangelion currently airs in edited form on Cartoon Network Australia's Adult Swim. The rumor that Gainax would not allow their shows to be edited was just that...a rumor, which turned out to be false.

Much like how the rumor that ADV would not allow their shows to be edited for TV was incorrect, as we have just found out.
Case

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:29 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP!!!

That's about all I can manage for now. Coherent sentences tomarrow when I don't have Psyche case studies or Union addresses to think about.
Anime dazed
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:33 pm Reply with quote
CaptainTanuki wrote:

If they do show the 1st 2 ep of Eva, they don't really need editting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4