• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre Sells Funimation to Group with Gen Fukunaga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I guess they'll have alter their logo now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. Didn;t expect this to happen. At least we shouldn;t see any changes!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The investment group also includes John A. Kuelbs "who was then instrumental in selecting Darwin and Doug Deason to join the team," according to Funimation.

Who are these people, and do they make good decisions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
The investment group also includes John A. Kuelbs "who was then instrumental in selecting Darwin and Doug Deason to join the team," according to Funimation.

Here's some information I found on the Deasons
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2003/10/20/smallb1.html

Here's some information I found about a company that made Kuelbs wealthy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_Specialties

They're all local business men (well Funimation is Forth Worth which is close to Dallas) so presumably their just doing it as investors and Fukunaga will still run the company.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Funny that just today I was thinking thank god funimation is still around Laughing
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite understanding. So basically, Funimation is its own parent company now?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
So, essentially, FUNimation bought themselves back?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:

Here's some information I found on the Deasons
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2003/10/20/smallb1.html

They're local business men (well Funimation is Forth Worth which is close to Dallas)

Yea, according to Forbes, that Darwin Deacon fellow is LOADED. I approve of billionaires investing in Funimation.
jtnishi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I wish someone with a better understanding of the numbers could piece together FUNi's likely worth based on Navarre's statements. I suck at business math in these, but my reading of the numbers at least from the last quarter was that $24M would be somewhat lowball for the value of the assets & income that FUNi was providing to Navarre.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person that finds it a little depressing that R1's largest anime distributor was sold for only $24 million? Wow! I guess that shows how much the market has shrank, considering Navarre paid over a hundred million for them.

Hell, back in 2006 20% of ADV was sold for only a little less. But on the bright side, it means there will likely be few changes. But considering how tough the home entertainment market is getting, let's hope these investors are patient.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
So... Basically, nothing has changed?
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Good news to me. It means Funi is independent, doesn't have to worry about being sold off or closed down, and should be able to possibly experiment more with digital iniatives or licensing choices [given the growth comments] while still keeping thier dvd/bluray distribution in place so we can all get our fix and they maintain their venues for product.

Fans can breath a sight of relief, and product can keep flowing. After all the uncertainty lately, it's nice to know what's going on about this situation
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Essentially ownership has changed, although it's still being run by just about the same people. There probably won't be any noticeable changes made immediately but there could be some changes coming over the next couple years.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Am I the only person that finds it a little depressing that R1's largest anime distributor was sold for only $24 million? Wow! I guess that shows how much the market has shrank, considering Navarre paid over a hundred million for them.

Hell, back in 2006 20% of ADV was sold for only a little less. But on the bright side, it means there will likely be few changes. But considering how tough the home entertainment market is getting, let's hope these investors are patient.

The market collapsed in 2007, Geneon is gone, ADV (as section 23), and Bandai Ent, are barely hanging on, and we are never going to see the return of the major tv series again.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
"Sound of shit being flushed down the crapper-WOOSH!!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6