• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - East of Eden

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
"Hey, splurging on figures is a time-honored tradition."

LOL reminded me of Genshiken for some reason! lol
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
I honor that tradition several times each month. Laughing

As for the whole "powering up" thing, the same can be said for mecha shows and the combining or transforming sequences. It's when Voltron is about "form feet and legs" that the Robeasts should be launching their attack, not just standint there waiting.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

As for the whole "powering up" thing, the same can be said for mecha shows and the combining or transforming sequences. It's when Voltron is about "form feet and legs" that the Robeasts should be launching their attack, not just standint there waiting.

Well, if they're gonna do that, might as well attack all at the same time. None of these attacking the hero one at a time - send a thousand MOTWs or Robeasts! Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
Gotta say, I fell asleep watching King of Eden... twice. It certainly wasn't what I was hoping the movie would be, but I can agree that the visuals were fantastic, Juiz was indeed more saucy, and that it's quite fascinating from an anthropological viewpoint. But for me, that doesn't amount to much.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
Maybe time stands still from the enemy's POV during the transformation sequence?

As for Eden, I liked the setup and world very much. Juiz was indeed very cool, especially in the movies.
What I didn't quite like about Eden though is how the adulation for Akira Takizawa completely overshadowed the rest of the cast, especially Saki Morimi. The opening scenes of the TV series were very misleading that way.
Even if Akira was the main protagonist, I wanted the story to be told from Saki's perspective. Instead, the perspective is a generic third-person one most of the time, and Saki gets sort of sidelined.
Overall, I found Eden worth watching, but not worth owning.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let me take a quick detour and mention something that the immature part of me couldn't stop giggling at. There are quite a few subtitles that are unintentionally hilarious. Like when Vegeta (or maybe it was Piccolo?) looks at Frieza in horror and says, “He's going to blow the entire planet of Namek!”

There's far more people than the ones who are willing to admit it that indulges in this kind of humor. I'm pretty sure of it.
alifemde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
After LOVING the Eden of the East TV show, all I could think of while watching the two movies was that quote by Scuttle in the Little Mermaid: "Nothing is Haaaappening!"

The longest (feeling) talking head movies I've ever trudged through. So disappointing. And the final ending just made no sense. So sad. Such potential.
taraterrrific

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
so. much. negima. its beautiful! щ(゚Д゚щ)
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Heh heh. My husband and I don't just settle for the subtitles for this kind of humor when we're watching Dragon Ball Z. We also come up with our own jokes just from the visuals; you wouldn't believe all the constipation and B.O. jokes we can come up with when these characters are powering up... Wink

Northlander wrote:
Quote:
Let me take a quick detour and mention something that the immature part of me couldn't stop giggling at. There are quite a few subtitles that are unintentionally hilarious. Like when Vegeta (or maybe it was Piccolo?) looks at Frieza in horror and says, “He's going to blow the entire planet of Namek!”

There's far more people than the ones who are willing to admit it that indulges in this kind of humor. I'm pretty sure of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Quote:

Well I admit to it, there was a bit in Toradora when spoiler[some people are about to go into a cave] and you hear lines about something popping out and other lines with more than one meaning, it may have been intentional in that case, but I did a lot of giggling.
steev-sama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
Eden of the East was a great anime that failed to live up to itself. The two movies just didn't do it for me. They broke the story up too much and the ending was incredibly weak. I felt like the show set up a dramatic pace and the movies were boring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
In some respects anime parodies a 50's Hollywood western with regard to powering up. Hollywood usually portrayed two guys, 1 representing good the other not quite so, distancing themselves in a bar before the big shootout or strolling down a main street or alley toward each other setting up the projectile flinging faceoff.

As a kid I used to believe this was masculine etiquette cast in stone: you equated dignity and respect as protocol and allowed your antagonist time to annihilate you. Westerns in real life were as you suggested re taking the initiative right away. Real cowpokes shot the bad guys when the opportunity presented itself with the least risk for them. I'm hoping mature mainstream anime will someday follow this same logic and become more pallatible, believable.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the second Eden movie yet... but I have such high hopes..! Are you all saying that it isn't going to live up to my expectations??

I didn't mind the slow pacing of this movie, nor the ending (Juiz????????), but then again, I'm really hoping that the second movie is going to swoop in and blow my mind.

Maybe I should take my optimism down a few notches.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Heh heh. My husband and I don't just settle for the subtitles for this kind of humor when we're watching Dragon Ball Z. We also come up with our own jokes just from the visuals; you wouldn't believe all the constipation and B.O. jokes we can come up with when these characters are powering up... Wink

Northlander wrote:
Quote:

If you think that's funny, then you didn't see the end of the Boo arc in which Vegeta says something like "Come on! Do it! Throw that thing" and Goku replies "Vegeta, forgive me! I firing the bomb!" Laughing
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
The King of Eden release rather annoys me, not because it's necessarily bad, but because it never should have been a stand alone movie. For one, they should have handled the two movies as a second season, so they wouldn't have to skimp so badly on the support characters, who all get seriously shafted, and second, this movie is only actually really good when watched with the next. Watch them together and you see how great the complete package is (IMO - I absolutely love the resolution), watch KoE alone and it's an exercise in frustration that leaves you wondering... "now what?!"

Man, I gotta show my shelves soon, I keep wondering what people will think of the shelf of a 20 year anime watcher who has probably spent less in that time than a teen does in two years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3