• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - 20th Century Light Club

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that Lychee Light Club was given an A-! It's one of my favorite manga and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy of the American release. ♥
Jure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Nice LHC review, can't wait to buy my copy. I remember friend showing me some random pages from LHC about half a year ago, asking me if I can guess the author. I was 100% sure it was Suehiro Maruo but he just laughed, saying I was wrong.
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
I'll agree that Light Club is a bit rushed and doesn't explain much, but hey that's why we're getting a prequel series Very Happy

I can't wait to get my copy, I used to just look the Japanese version over and over. I was very surprised that Vertical picked it up, since it's definitely not for everyone. Now if only Last Gasp could release Suehiro Maruo's Panorama Island sooner...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
Hmm... one of the few things I own by Tokyopop is Priest, and I've been meaning to write a "this is nothing like the movie!" review of that for a while. I think I have some fire under my feet now.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Probably another C+ in overall entertainment value, but hardcore bookworms may see it a full letter grade higher.

Actually, I would rate Kingyo Used Books two full letter grades higher. It is one of the few titles I pre-order as soon as available and eagerly await to read leisurely in a sun-lit room. I love the concept and the art and the large cast of interesting characters who weave in and out of the story and one another's lives. It's kind of like . . . real life.

Another aspect, especially of volume 3, is the appeal to long time book lovers who are not prepared to go gentle into the swiftly falling night of print editions.
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And don't even think of chatting with Yoite, because as soon as those two end up in the same room it turns into this Endless Emo Festival—Yoite seems to think that boring everyone to death with his depressing monologues makes for great drama. Honestly, trying to connect with these characters emotionally is like trying to connect with a brick wall.

Exactly. This is why I grew sick of Nabari no ou. It seems that somewhere along the line Kamatani fell in love with Yoite and the manga turned into a thinly veiled hurt/comfort melodrama, and while I like melodrama as much as the next person, Yoite is so utterly tragic and his life is so utterly depressing that after a while it gets ridiculous. It's impossible to connect to these characters unless you're emotionally involved in shipping them, and after a while the only people who care are those who are in it for the Yoite/Miharu Love Story the manga slowly turns into. (Thank goodness it shifts gears again once Yoite spoiler[is finally out of the picture] and the ending was nice.)
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
While I wasn't always crazy about what Tokyopop did, they did have some good titles And Borders hasn't collapsed, at least not yet. Some stores may have been closed, but they're still around.
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
"With the collapse of Borders and now this, are English editions of Japanese comics doomed to retreat all the way back to mid-90's levels, where you're lucky to find even two shelves of them at a bookstore?"

Oh Dear Lord. I'm STILL upset that Dark Horse canned Super Manga Blast and never finished Seraphic Feather or Exaxxion. SMB was basically just what I wanted. What is wrong with this market that the rest of you don't want what I want?? Wink Oh well, maybe Kodansha USA will do an Afternoon USA edition, or Young Magazine USA. I can always hope.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let Viz publish Usamaru Furuya's polite, Jump-friendly Genkaku Picasso.

Well, Picasso's Jump-friendly by Japan standards, but clearly pushes the limits by target audience standards here. As for Lychee, it just felt like it was really trying to be Caligula by way of Riki Oh, but without the sense of purpose. I'd give it a C.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1