• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Kuri Runnings

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steev-sama

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Bluray reviews of non-HD content really need some kind of HD quality check. Lots of the SD conversions have really bad filters used on them, which wreck the quality. I bought the Samurai Champloo bluray on release, but regretted it soon after. The upscaling on my TV and PS3, which don't work that well, makes my DVD copies look better than the bluray version. I told my friend I would give him my extra copy of Champloo after I bought the bluray and I ended up giving him the bluray version. I would say that the bluray version of Champloo was most certainly not shelf worthy. I wonder if the FLCL looks good. That is definitely a series I would like to own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
Y'know they're coming out with MiB 3, right, partypooper? Laughing
(And we watched Springer!)

And Evangelion was already coming out in America around 1997. (And ya call yerself 90's. Laughing )

FLCL was one of the highest rating anime on Adult Swim ever. For the debut 1-1/2 week short airing generated more than 400 pages in a Toon Zone thread alone (before it was locked).

(On that note, I'm guessing this past Sunday night's Adult Swim lineup would be one of the lower rating ones................ what with everyone watching and celebrating some other news channels. Laughing )

Heh, I got those Logitech speakers....
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
I remember when I first started listening to the FLCL soundtrack and listened to it non-stop too. Still listen to a lot of Pillows solely because FLCL introduced them to me a while back and was so thrilled when I got to see them live at Anime Boston.

Also has anyone done any comparisons for the BD vs DVD versions of FLCL? I bought the DVD version since FLCL wasn't done in HD and I didn't want to take a chance on a bad conversion.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
Aww, I really really liked Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars (I agree the dub is lackluster though) and at the price TRSI is selling it for I'd encourage everyone to go grab a copy. It's not a super fighting sci-fi so much as it is a mix between slice of life (with the kids) and politics (with the adults). But if you can accept that and maybe even like it, I think the strong and great characters more than carry the show. It's a different type of sci-fi and that's fine by me, I wish more people would experience this show!
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
What a wonderful doggy! MORE DOG PHOTOS, PLEASE. Smile
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
I looked into the redone versions for FLCL. And there is a lot of bad talk about the picture. The best info I found (since most reviews were centered around "this show is awesome" - I know that but what about the picture?) was a 1 star review on Amazon by Xeon Negotiator.

He/She writes "I'm not going to go into the plot of FLCL, other sites and reviewers have that covered, but here is the deal, Funimation will yet again release another upscaled piece of garbage.

The video is grainy, lines are blurry in parts and pixelated in others, partly interlaced, distinctive gradient banding, it windowed (black bars on all sides; caused by 16:10 screens, not present in 16:9 ones) so the video isn't even 1080 by 4x3 standards, etc. See my comments on page 3 for screenshots, as well as the above image section.

This honestly is not worth your time or money, especially if you own the DVDs already. You will get the same quality playback on your Blu-ray player with the DVDs as you would this, as most all Blu-ray players upscale DVD anyways. Buy the DVDs or don't buy it at all.

This is being return the very next day as it is pure garbage. I really wish Funimation had their licences pulled for making these terrible releases. "

There are a lot of comments too. Take the review as you like. Overall, I picked up the DVD version (still in the mail or I'd comment).
PmChivas

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Aww, I really really liked Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars (I agree the dub is lackluster though) and at the price TRSI is selling it for I'd encourage everyone to go grab a copy. It's not a super fighting sci-fi so much as it is a mix between slice of life (with the kids) and politics (with the adults). But if you can accept that and maybe even like it, I think the strong and great characters more than carry the show. It's a different type of sci-fi and that's fine by me, I wish more people would experience this show!

I totally agree. I happen to grab the first disk of Shingu for $10 at AKON 20, a few years ago and it took me another year to watch it. After the first viewing, I was hooked; I immediately went out and bought the boxset.

No, Shingu isn't your average shoot 'em up scifi series. In fact half the fun is watching Hajime try to understand what is happening around him and how all of it relates to his new slightly mysterious friend.

I usually run for the hills at slice-of-life shows, but this is less slice of life and more how to live a normal life when abnormal things are happening around you show.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Thank you stuckinfresno. I was just debating which I should buy.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
I looked into the redone versions for FLCL. And there is a lot of bad talk about the picture. The best info I found (since most reviews were centered around "this show is awesome" - I know that but what about the picture?) was a 1 star review on Amazon by Xeon Negotiator.

He/She writes "I'm not going to go into the plot of FLCL, other sites and reviewers have that covered, but here is the deal, Funimation will yet again release another upscaled piece of garbage.

The video is grainy, lines are blurry in parts and pixelated in others, partly interlaced, distinctive gradient banding, it windowed (black bars on all sides; caused by 16:10 screens, not present in 16:9 ones) so the video isn't even 1080 by 4x3 standards, etc. See my comments on page 3 for screenshots, as well as the above image section.

This honestly is not worth your time or money, especially if you own the DVDs already. You will get the same quality playback on your Blu-ray player with the DVDs as you would this, as most all Blu-ray players upscale DVD anyways. Buy the DVDs or don't buy it at all.

This is being return the very next day as it is pure garbage. I really wish Funimation had their licences pulled for making these terrible releases. "

There are a lot of comments too. Take the review as you like. Overall, I picked up the DVD version (still in the mail or I'd comment).

The video quality is not that bad. It's watchable and other places not that it doesn't look that bad as people claim it is. It's no master piece but it is watchable.

This is what was written over at blu-ray.com

Quote:
Presented in 1080p utilizing the AVC codec (at an average bitrate of 28Mbps), FLCL throws the door wide open for debate over issues of quality. Considering it's been at least three years since my last viewing of the series, I can't recall whether grain and/or texturing were more prevalent in the animation, making it difficult to assess the use of digital noise reduction without an exact side-by-side comparison. What I will say is the series looks surprisingly crisp and well-defined throughout the majority of each episode, often appearing far more appealing than the customary upscale. Painted backgrounds rarely appear murky, line definition in the foreground is precise, and even the most frenetic of action sequences display a fluid level of detail. Continuing with the positives, the color palette of the series is often bold and striking, highlighting the crimson hue of Canti's metallic body, while simultaneously creating a backdrop of sickly browns or yellows in the surrounding countryside. The contrasting use of tones is effectively reproduced in each frame of the transfer, delivering what's likely the greatest gain over the DVD competition.

Now for the moment you've all been waiting for. DNR speculation aside, the new Blu-ray release demonstrates weakness in a few key areas. First and foremost, there's the issue of shimmering lines, which plagues much of the first episode, but seems to diminish as the series progresses. If you pay attention to the Manga art around the twelve minute mark of episode one, you'll notice substantial shimmering among the dot-shaded sections of the picture. Likewise, many of the panning shots that move from side to side during that episode (and found sporadically in others) show substantial line movement that quickly becomes distracting. Adding to those issues, I noticed stairstepping diagonal lines on fine character outlines (the thicker the line, the less there's a problem), and edge halos in a handful of sequences. Naturally, your sensitivity to such defects will largely dictate the degree of frustration you'll feel while witnessing the transfer, so I won't downplay the presence of such deficiencies. Instead, I'll merely provide my opinion that this is the best the series has looked thus far, and acknowledge this is the version to own at this stage in the game.

Blu-ray.com Review
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm with classicalzawa and PmChivas.
Shingu rarely gets the respect it deserves, and here once more (as also in "Shelf Life" when the show was first released, if I remember correctly) there's been an opportunity missed to recommend it as enthusiastically as it warrants.
The more time passes, the more Shingu settles comfortably into its position as one of my very favourite shows, with its wonderful characters, world and story.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I never have liked Fooly Cooly. I guess its just a bit 'too' weird for me.

The eyebrows guy was funny though :]
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the character design is incredibly poor. Taito has the exact same bangs as the archer Hosei, making them sometimes look weirdly like identical twins (ironically there are actual long lost family members involved, but I won't spoil it).
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly: You're berating the show for poor (I agree) character design, but your example of poor character design (that characters look alike) is actually supposed to be a purposeful likeness between 2 characters to foreshadow a familial relationship?

It is ironic that your example to corroborate the truth of bad character design is actually an example of halfway decent character design, but unless you intentionally employed an example which doesn't prove your point (which would have me even more Confused) I don't see how this is ironic. Coincidental, maybe, but your revelation about the show demonstrates that it is purposeful....I'm so confused, as it isn't coincidental or ironic, right?

BTW, when did Funimation officially state that Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini was coming out this year? Is there an announcement that I missed, as the only one I heard was for a February release, which has been missed by 3 months now. Sad I hope Eden of the East sold well for Funi, as I hold it chiefly responsible for the delay on Darker than Black.

Also, put another tally in the "Didn't like FLCL" column as I didn't much care for it. I did try to watch it when I first started out in anime fandom, and while I might enjoy it more now, I haven't enjoyed anything by Gainax that comes to mind so I think I'll just write FLCL off.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
A lot of issues from the FLCL Blu ray are in the old DVDs. I did a watch through of the DVD and Blu ray EP 1 first half, and it looked like to me the DVD was just hiding with lower res the problems in the Blu.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
...the character design is incredibly poor. Taito has the exact same bangs as the archer Hosei, making them sometimes look weirdly like identical twins (ironically there are actual long lost family members involved, but I won't spoil it).
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly: You're berating the show for poor (I agree) character design, but your example of poor character design (that characters look alike) is actually supposed to be a purposeful likeness between 2 characters to foreshadow a familial relationship?

It is ironic that your example to corroborate the truth of bad character design is actually an example of halfway decent character design, but unless you intentionally employed an example which doesn't prove your point (which would have me even more Confused) I don't see how this is ironic. Coincidental, maybe, but your revelation about the show demonstrates that it is purposeful....I'm so confused, as it isn't coincidental or ironic, right?

Um...I think you misunderstood. To my understanding, Taito and Hosei look vaguely similar, but are not related. She's just adding that there are two characters who are secretly related in the show (but the two characters are, oddly enough, not Taito and Hosei). As to whether it's ironic or not, I dunno. And I haven't watched Hero Tales, so this is just a guess.
gojira89

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Echo_City"]
Quote:

BTW, when did Funimation officially state that Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini was coming out this year? Is there an announcement that I missed, as the only one I heard was for a February release, which has been missed by 3 months now. Sad I hope Eden of the East sold well for Funi, as I hold it chiefly responsible for the delay on Darker than Black.

When FUNimation announced that they had the rights to Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor they said that it was planned for 2011 and they said it again at Anime Boston. So that is what I went with in my little blurb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3