• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Viz Manga Nominated for Great Teen Graphic Novels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
You've got to wonder, who nominates these titles. I am not saying these titles are bad, but I must admit, I was a bit surprised.

I actually read the second manga that was listed several years ago, but I personally found it slightly more violent than necessary.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
You've got to wonder, who nominates these titles. I am not saying these titles are bad, but I must admit, I was a bit surprised.

I actually read the second manga that was listed several years ago, but I personally found it slightly more violent than necessary.

Librarians do. I love the lists they come up with every year because they're sort of disconnected from the manga community and in a way that makes them immune to the hype we have. They just discover the titles themselves, be it word of mouth, newsletters, book catalogs, or booksellers, and decide for themselves if it's good or not. If it weren't for them originally I would have never given Good Witch of the West a try, and now that's one of my top series, even if Tokyopop never finished it.

When I worked at a bookstore one of the local head librarians would order through us, and she'd always ask what was popular book-wise with teens and kids, and since she knew I was into graphic novels - what graphic novels she should try out. I was always more than happy to oblige. Librarians are awesome.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
I can "get" Genkaku Picasso making it, but I'm really shocked at Kurozakuro, because it's not exactly a stand-out title.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
I was interested in trying out Kurozakuro but I've been hearing that it was never completed and just stopped at volume 7. Is it true? I really hope not...
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
I was interested in trying out Kurozakuro but I've been hearing that it was never completed and just stopped at volume 7. Is it true? I really hope not...

I too was pretty interested in trying Kurozakuro, but decided not to after reading some reviews that weren't too positive on it. But now, I think I'll give it a chance when I can, for the reason that littlegreenwolf mentioned
Quote:
because they're sort of disconnected from the manga community and in a way that makes them immune to the hype we have. They just discover the titles themselves, be it word of mouth, newsletters, book catalogs, or booksellers, and decide for themselves if it's good or not.

From what I've heard, Kurozakuro finishes at 7 volumes because it was cancelled by the publisher, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't an abrupt cancellation, so the mangaka would've been given enough time to give the series a proper end (kind of like with Gun Blaze West). It may not be the ending that the mangaka planned though, but the story shouldn't be left hanging either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
I think his take on Batman was the only real disappointment I've had with him. And I'm guessing he butted heads frequently with the Shonen Sunday editors, which is why he continued the Togari sequel elsewhere. Natsume sounds like a guy who has a lot of interesting ideas, but has the misfortune of being restricted by the demands of his bosses. Still, I think he's got a following because of how he does faces and shading. So he just needs to break out to be taken more seriously.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
@ ss-hikaru

Thank you for the info Very Happy If there is one thing I hate buying is incomplete stories, the kind where the mangaka just breaks it off and leaves it hanging (the way CLAMP love doing). But if it was the magazine that decided to stop the serialization it's a different matter, since they normally give the mangaka some chapters (the amount of chapters depends on the kind of magazine they are serialized in) to wrap up the story.

Anyways, will probably give this manga a try... as soon as I buy the rest of my manga on my waiting list (>.<)
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
The Tokyopop titles were originally published by Hakusensha, not Houbunsha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1