• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, April 25-May 1 [2011-05-04]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, One Piece was released on May 1st. That means it sold almost 600,000 in one single day.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty shocked to see Naruto sell more than One Piece on Week 1, but it's only been out a day for this period. I expect a million next week.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
One Piece's official release is May 2nd.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
I'm really happy to see Dengeki Daisy and Letter Bee on the chart. No surprises with Bleach, One Piece and Naruto, though the sheer avalanche OP being sold so fast just floored me, even as I know how ridiculously popular it is in Japan.

Still can't fathom why Black Bird is such a favorite for people. Someone once paralleled it to Twilight, so perhaps that's it? The same strain of absurdity that somehow appeals to girls and gives them all the wrong ideas about what a good boyfriend is? Rolling Eyes
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Jesus, One Piece was released on May 1st. That means it sold almost 600,000 in one single day.

Ohhh, I was wondering why it hadn't broken a million.

Just how much more popular can this thing get? And does it qualify by now as the most popular comic book (not "comic-book IP") in the world?
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Someone might want to fix the page layout
shawurai

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where those rankings are taken from as I've seen different top 10 listing on another site for the exact same week:

01: One Piece 62
02: Thermae Romae 3
03: Sweethearts
04: Naruto 55
05: Gunlinger Girl 13
06: Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 4
07: Bleach 49
08: Giant Killing 19
09: Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to 6
10: Mirai Nikki 12

As I said there's a difference. ANN doesn't even list Sweethearts. Is this because it is an ero-manga? I don't think it wouldn't appear in the ANN top 30 while anther source lists it as number 3 in a top 10 for the exact same sales week.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Just how much more popular can this thing get? And does it qualify by now as the most popular comic book (not "comic-book IP") in the world?

Nah. In Japan, yes. I'd say Dragon Ball is still the most popular property in the world. Naruto and Bleach seem to fare much better in the US and UK.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Nah. In Japan, yes. I'd say Dragon Ball is still the most popular property in the world. Naruto and Bleach seem to fare much better in the US and UK.

If by world you mean a complete additive of all manga sales OP would still be the most popular current manga. A popular manga in Japan can break 1 million sales in a week or even a day while popular series in any given country other than Japan, 1 million sales would take a months to accumulate.

Dragonball has probably sold the most copies to date but is it currently more popular than any of the current stuff? Not really.
some_dude_you_don't_know

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned earlier, One Piece was released on may the 2nd. This number only counts the presales. This is beyond insane.

shawurai wrote:
I wonder where those rankings are taken from as I've seen different top 10 listing on another site for the exact same week:

01: One Piece 62
02: Thermae Romae 3
03: Sweethearts
04: Naruto 55
05: Gunlinger Girl 13
06: Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 4
07: Bleach 49
08: Giant Killing 19
09: Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to 6
10: Mirai Nikki 12

As I said there's a difference. ANN doesn't even list Sweethearts. Is this because it is an ero-manga? I don't think it wouldn't appear in the ANN top 30 while anther source lists it as number 3 in a top 10 for the exact same sales week.

It's taken straight from Oricon
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/obc/w/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1