• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Madoka Magica Side Story Manga Land in Top 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Madoka may in years to come become like the next One Piece when it comes to sales records. It'll be ridiculous, and it'll go on for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Hahah, no way.

Madoka, while a good show, is a flavor of the month/season right now. It won't have hardly any staying power.
soul.assassin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
It remains to see how much longer PMMM will stick in the minds of fans; Shinbo's earlier statement about thinking of making a spinoff could well extend the show's lifetime should he makes true on his promise.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
I think we'll be hearing a lot about Puella Magi Madoka Magica and its spinoff franchises for a while now. It may not even be legally streamable in English subtitles right now, but mark my words, by this time next year SOMEONE (probably FUNimation or Viz) will license it and even be in the progress of producing or have produced an English dub. It's just too culturally relevant not to get one; can you think of one that went viral on the 'net and didn't? Oh well; I guess we'll see!
4nBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
It's hard to say if PMMM has the staying power. I don't think that many believed seven years ago that Nanoha would still be around in 2011 with two popular manga and a second movie in the works. So there is always the possibility that ten years later we will be watching the sixth spinoff anime of PMMM.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
[M]ark my words, by this time next year SOMEONE (probably FUNimation or Viz) will license it and even be in the progress of producing or have produced an English dub.

Yep, just like how Bakemonogatari is currently in the process of getting a d... oh wait. It's not. Cause the price tag is probably ridiculously high at this low point in the market.

4nBlue: While 50k copies sold for a manga volume is quite an accomplishment, when a series can't even make the top 10 list for manga sales on the week it comes out, I'd be hesitant to call it 'popular'. The movie did well, and I imagine we'll be seeing an A's movie due to the success of the first one. So it certainly has some steam behind it. I imagine that the large success of PMMM is going to actually consume at least part of the otaku fevor for Nanoha though. It's always about the newest thing for the otaku.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
Both Madoka manga series only top 5 due to the lack of releases this week, for instance.. we the sales they had...

If last week they would've ranked 10th and 12th.

The week before that it's 12th and 14th

The week before that it's 14th and 15th.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Madoka, ... won't have hardly any staying power.
While I doubt that I, personally, would be very engaged by spinoff stories (mostly because I don't trust canonical spinoffs not written by Gen to not diverge from the strong presentation of serious themes that helped make PMMM so great--though I would totally go for this), for the sake of the team that created such a quality show, I sincerely hope you are wrong.

4nBlue wrote:
It's hard to say if PMMM has the staying power. I don't think that many believed seven years ago that Nanoha would still be around in 2011 with two popular manga and a second movie in the works. So there is always the possibility that ten years later we will be watching the sixth spinoff anime of PMMM.
The difference is that Nanoha (first series) is poorly written, poorly paced, boring, lacks visual creativity, and doesn't invite critical thinking. PMMM, having none of these problems, is not starting from the same place.

That said, A's movie DO WANT. :D
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
[M]ark my words, by this time next year SOMEONE (probably FUNimation or Viz) will license it and even be in the progress of producing or have produced an English dub.

Yep, just like how Bakemonogatari is currently in the process of getting a d... oh wait. It's not. Cause the price tag is probably ridiculously high at this low point in the market.

4nBlue: While 50k copies sold for a manga volume is quite an accomplishment, when a series can't even make the top 10 list for manga sales on the week it comes out, I'd be hesitant to call it 'popular'. The movie did well, and I imagine we'll be seeing an A's movie due to the success of the first one. So it certainly has some steam behind it. I imagine that the large success of PMMM is going to actually consume at least part of the otaku fevor for Nanoha though. It's always about the newest thing for the otaku.

You may be right about that. And with Syfy completely shedding their anime, its potential home is disappearing. I really don't know if [as] would be up to PMMM; in fact, I doubt it. It may actually, despite its popularity, remain an "otaku" series lost in licensing limbo forever, with the only ways you can see it very below-board. After all, at its heart its storyline kinda rips off Haruhi's Endless Eight arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1