• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - K-On Flux

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Chobit's End Spoiler (Note sure if it matters sense its so old......)

spoiler[Her off switch in her hoo hoo is actually used in the Manga to make it so her and Hideki can never consummate their relationship, because if she restarts she looses her memory.

Using this, the end of the manga tries to prove the point that love is separate from physical love, and that Hideki understands that and is willing to be a virgin forever because of it.

Its also hints at some crazy ass Freud, ie everyone falling in love with their parent of their sexual preference.]

The anime of course dulls it down, and makes it happy, and by consequence makes the under lying connotation a little creepy(beyond normal Freud wtfness) especially if someone views it in the same way you do. (You can also look at it like she lost her memory instead of him raising her)

The manga ending on the other hand is bitter sweet and almost depressing knowing the limitation on Chi's existence. (Though the ending is not perfect by any means)

Final Edit: Sorry for all the minor edits, I kept looking it over and submitting and then realizing I needed another qualification >.<)

Final Final Edit: Spoiler Tag

Last edited by RoverTX on Sun May 29, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 5 times in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
So, Erin hates Chobits... I have a pretty good feeling on how this is gonna turn out in here.

(Damn watermark is killing my groove...)
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
K-On - Shelf Worthy
Chobits - Perishable

......................... Evil or Very Mad

I don't know how many more of these Shelf Life's I can take...

The day I see a moe in Shelf and not a Morio Asaka... well, it's time for me to make a few source changes...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But in the end, Chobits is incredibly boring.

Just like most CLAMP titles. Rolling Eyes
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I liked Chobits, so I disagree with your placement, but I did find that last paragraph pretty funny.
I don't see why though you would focus on what the story didn't address in regards to persocoms affect on society as a whole. This wasn't that type of story and I think it would have been out of place to put that in. If you want something like Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner or whatever, then by all means enjoy, but not every scifi story needs to focus on technologies affects on society. Sometimes you just have to take a story for what it is.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chobits ought to be better science fiction. The story could've stopped to really consider the social and economic impact of everyone having a life-sized personal electronic slave. Are Persocoms taking jobs away from humans? When Chi gets a job at a bakery, she hands almost all of her wages over to Hideki. Does Chi legally have a right to keep her wages?

CLAMP only cared about making Chi as cute as possible, and in that they have succeeded. I have no idea why they put Chi's off switch in her vagina (is that cute?!). Won't Hideki be a virgin forever if she keeps turning on and off in the middle of the act? The show ends without answering that sort of vital question.

Read the manga, Erin. It goes there.

Quote:
But it's the interplay between the characters that makes K-ON! worthwhile. Yui is one of most loveable airheads in anime, almost as good as Osaka from Azumanga Daioh

Yui is Osaka with severe brain damage. "Retard" is much more appropriate for Yui than "airhead".
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to point out, though, that while the Chobits manga does in fact raise some fairly impressive questions about the emotional consequences of love and how it's reciprocated, there is an indictment to be made that the Chobits ANIME did not measure up by comparison and at times is a bit of a mess.

That said, I've always had a soft spot for it because it has some of the most pleasantly perverse humor - for those of us who still love Urasei Yatsura, Video Girl Ai, and Golden Boy - to have been found in 21st century anime and at its center is a sweet, friendly, and mostly harmless anime.

Perishable? Probably not. It's a bit like black licorice: the best thing in the world, but only for the people who like it.
John Casey

GATSU wrote:
Quote:

There's the truth of it.
DmonHiro

"Either that or I'm just a pervert with no sense of humor. "
Yup, sure seems that way.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

There's the truth of it.

Well...not really. No.
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Yui is Osaka with severe brain damage. "Retard" is much more appropriate for Yui than "airhead".

I think 'airhead' would be a little bit more politically correct, though. I personally like the word 'ditz'.

I'm not a fan of the Chobits story (in fact, I only like Clamp for the production art) but I'm surprised it's Perishable.... can't wait to see the conniption fits that spawned here.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
So Chobits didn't go into any social issues dealing with Persocons? I must have watched some other show. Seeing how I remember there being a story about spoiler[the baker's previous relationship to a persocon, even getting married, but then the slow eventual degradation of the persocon's hardware caused it to lose its memory of the baker. Or about the teacher's husband who became obsessed with persocons, favoring them over his own wife, causing their marriage to become a wreck.] It has been a long time since I watched it, but those are just two occurrences I recall of the social impact caused by the persocons.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
It's worth noting that both your pun titles involving K-ON require an incorrect pronunciation of K-ON in order to make sense. I didn't even get the Flux pun until you mentioned the "Love the Bomb" pun, at which point I realized you meant for K-ON to sound like Aeon.

But after spending the weekend at Acen, I realized even hardcore otaku and the dub voice cast usually can't pronounce it right. Didn't realize it was such a hard thing to grasp. But I'm in freaking love with that series, so it gets to me more than it should.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Well...not really. No.

Well, I mean, I guess you're right. Every person is wired differently, and every person has their individual likes. So, if your wiring tells you that planks of wood are the most exciting things ever, I can't exactly re-program the electrical impulses in your brain...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Well...not really. No.

Well, I mean, I guess you're right. Every person is wired differently, and every person has their individual likes. So, if your wiring tells you that planks of wood are the most exciting things ever, I can't exactly re-program the electrical impulses in your brain...

I seriously don't know how I should respond to this.

I mean, you're basically equating my opinion as being the equivalent to masochism.

Yeah, it may be a joke, but I can't help but feel a strong tinge of insult, which does legitamately anger me a bit.

So many things I could say right here, but I'm just going to leave it at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11