• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Two Flowers for the Dragon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cucuc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
After reading this column, I immediately went and looked up this manga, and I discovered...

It sounds like the manga has a shock twist ending?

Well, I'll be reading it to find out whether the ending is justified.
gothung

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Good job sir. After reading your article I am genuinely intrigued about this manga. I'll have to look it up. Shame about CMX, though.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
Sad Another great sounding manga from CMX that was never finished? I got all excited for this reading the article, then got to the end... *sigh* And yet I'm still considering looking into this... after all, I just finished getting all 15 volumes of Swan, I need another series to start.. c_c
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Sad Another great sounding manga from CMX that was never finished? I got all excited for this reading the article, then got to the end... *sigh* And yet I'm still considering looking into this... after all, I just finished getting all 15 volumes of Swan, I need another series to start.. c_c

CMX did finish Recipe for Gertrude and The Palette of 12 Secret Colors, why not try those?
cucuc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I have looked at more spoilers... It's a happy ending.

It's indeed pretty terrible to leave the last volume unpublished. I'll remember to check out her other works.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Well not to nitpick, but dragons aren't technically reptiles, but I'm curious as to why the males are never the scaly ones in these paranormal romances. But then again, if it was beastly male/human female, then yeah, I know where that would go. Still I'd like to see a "Beauty and the Beast" story in manga format.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:

CMX did finish Recipe for Gertrude and The Palette of 12 Secret Colors, why not try those?

Oh, cool! Yeah, I might. Looking at their entries in the encyclopedia, they don't look too long, either.
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I started reading this series a few weeks before the shutdown of CMX was announced and I was, and still am so heartbroken.

To anyone with influence who might be reading this... I WOULD TOTALLY BUY TWO FLOWERS FOR THE DRAGON if it were rescued. And I would start off buying Vol. 1 since I never actually bought any volumes- I checked them out from my library. Smile
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
diligent sesame wrote:
I started reading this series a few weeks before the shutdown of CMX was announced and I was, and still am so heartbroken.

To anyone with influence who might be reading this... I WOULD TOTALLY BUY TWO FLOWERS FOR THE DRAGON if it were rescued. And I would start off buying Vol. 1 since I never actually bought any volumes- I checked them out from my library. Smile

Seconded, seconded. CMX put out some really great stuff before they went out of business. I haven't read this one, but I liked Recipe for Gertrude. It's a shame about the final volume.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd heard about this series before CMX went out of business but it sounded like a rather silly series and nothing I'd really be interested in. But now I'm going to try it out, maybe I'll get lucky and find a volume or two in the library, maybe at this rate I should just try out everything CMX put out....
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Jason, you are now my hero. I never thought that anyone would notice Kusakawa's series'! I've bought all of them, including Two Flowers, up to the last volume released....it's really sad that CMX shut down, and right before the last volume. Would definitely buy it if a new company snatched it up.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
shoujogirl wrote:
Jason, you are now my hero. I never thought that anyone would notice Kusakawa's series'! I've bought all of them, including Two Flowers, up to the last volume released....it's really sad that CMX shut down, and right before the last volume. Would definitely buy it if a new company snatched it up.

I was also quite pleased to see Two Flowers as the subject of Jason's column, but it did remind me that the US release is incomplete. ;_; I think that it might be the only CMX series that I was buying that's incomplete (Hmmm... Nope. Orfina was another unfinished CMX title that I was collecting, and it had two books remaining).

I've got Palette and Gertrude, and I just finished rereading Palette a week ago. ^_^
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
diligent sesame wrote:

Seconded, seconded. CMX put out some really great stuff before they went out of business. I haven't read this one, but I liked Recipe for Gertrude. It's a shame about the final volume.

Do you think that if we just start bugging the manga publishers, that they might give it a look. It might not happen but it’s better than doing nothing. Also who would be best to bug? Yen Plus, Vertical, Seven Seas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Timothy Perper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad you like "Two Flowers for the Dragon." It's one of my favorites. Let me add two comments.

First, the cover of volume 1 of the manga shows Shakuya with a dragon -- and from the illustrations in the manga, it is, as you say, a five-clawed, hence Imperial Chinese dragon. But it's not a reptile. Instead, Nari Kusakawa draws the dragon with a mane on its back -- and only mammals have hair. So we can assume that Shakuya-as-a-dragon isn't a reptile, but a mammal, just as she is when she's in human form.

Second, the recently released anime "Dragon Crisis" has a girl-heroine who is a dragon -- Rosa. In addition, several volumes of the Japanese language "Moe Moe Encyclopedia" have illustrations of girls riding dragons and otherwise entangled with them or even being dragons (search for the ISBN = 48661461626 on amazon.co.jp).

Tim Perper
Timothy Perper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
Feh. The correct ISBN is 4861461626.

Tim
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1