• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Plans to Pitch New Yu-Gi-Oh! at Licensing Expo

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
They can do that? Legally I mean. Forget the fact that for some reason I find it a little 'not cool'.
There in the middle of a court battle.... now is that just for Yu-Gi-Oh! or anything Yu-Gi-Oh! related? And if it's just the said first series or whatever, is that was gives them the leeway to go ahead with the Zexal series?

This whole damn thing is just confusing me and has been since day one Confused
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Normally I'm not for people losing their jobs, but 4Kids just needs to lie in a ditch and die. They are an affront to anime in North America.

How many series did they gut or butcher?

How many times did they publicly thumb their noses at anime only to come crawling back to it?
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
4kids gets what they want, even if for a little while.

4kids doing this is following their idea they never lost the franchise. It is called being smart.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Normally I'm not for people losing their jobs, but 4Kids just needs to lie in a ditch and die. They are an affront to anime in North America.

How many series did they gut or butcher?

How many times did they publicly thumb their noses at anime only to come crawling back to it?

Same here. Look, I don't want people to lose their jobs at all. I'll admit, I absolutely hate 4kids and would for them to close. But I am not so blinded by dislike of 4kids that I think all of 4kids is bad. I know there is some that probably dislike their practices as much as we do. Which is why I truly do hope that when 4kids shuts down, the people who had nothing to do with 4kids's idiotsy will have jobs lined up.

But seriously 4kids, just close already. How many series did you either completely ruin or over edit to the point where the edits no longer made any reasonable sense?

Although this may sound negative (but it does have a point) there comes a time when a company realizes that they are in too deep and the actions they do put them in a situation that either can not be revised/ be undone easily.

Stuart Levy realized that and believe me that speaks volumes. If Stu Levy, a man who at the very end reduced his North American workforce to four people and made some pretty bad decisions over the years realizes when it's time to pull back, what does that say about 4kids?

It says that Stu Levy, even with all his faults, is a wiser person than any person directly involved with the 4kids shows. Never thought I'd be saying that these days, but it's a harsh reality. In a sense that is pretty hilarious/potentially ironic that that Stu Levy has more sense than 4kids, but in another sense could be seen as strange, maybe even slightly embarrassing these days.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
When the Japanese companies were trying to promote Zexal at the expo, I sided with 4kids. Until the lawsuit is cleared up, and it's clear whether or not 4kids has the rights to it (or right of first refusal), then they shouldn't be able to offer it around.

However now? 4kids doesn't have the series until/unless this gets cleared up, so what right do they have to pitch it?
barrelroller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
We all know Funimation is probably rubbing their hands at this situation right now because we all know they will grab the license as quickly as they did One Piece and "save it". I dig most of Funimation's current projects, but I hate the way they release stuff. First it's Part 1, Part 2, etc. Then the preferred season box sets hit months later, then the unnecessary blu ray upscales are released.

Regardless, I am thinking WAY ahead. It sounds like 4Kids are going to take this license down with them. I'd love to see another company dub or hell, even sub Yu-Gi-Oh! I'm dying to see Season zero, and at least the original series. I could care less about GX and other spinoffs.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
well this just got a lot more interesting. Can't wait to see what drama stirs up next. I would love to see a movie about this whole fiasco when this whole mess is finally finished and done with, whenever that may be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
More than likely this just proves that 4kids has an all encompassing Yu-Gi-Oh license, or licensed Zexal before the series was announced and the cancellation attempt was made.

Them showing it at the show effectively guarantees that (for the time being at least) they do in fact have the license for Zexal.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Stuart Levy realized that and believe me that speaks volumes. If Stu Levy, a man who at the very end reduced his North American workforce to four people and made some pretty bad decisions over the years realizes when it's time to pull back, what does that say about 4kids?

It says that Stu Levy, even with all his faults, is a wiser person than any person directly involved with the 4kids shows. Never thought I'd be saying that these days, but it's a harsh reality. In a sense that is pretty hilarious/potentially ironic that that Stu Levy has more sense than 4kids, but in another sense could be seen as strange, maybe even slightly embarrassing these days.

Pffft...you've got to be kidding me.

Stu Levy has done an equal amount of damage, only he "infected" Manga as well, a feat 4Kids (thankfully) never did. The bad thing is he took a few years longer to get out of the game.

The horrible translations....his "DJ Milky" persona and his "music"......OEL manga.......the over licensing....."America's Greatest Otaku"........Courtney Love........dissin' Anime AND Manga fans......and even him bailing and going for his "dream" of harassing earthquake survivors is still a bad thing.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
Has 4kids yet to realize that EVERYONE hates them?

And can they do that? Seriously? They can say: "HEY! I'm using your show whether you like it or not! ..and I'm doing worse, I'm gonna SELL IT and not pay you."

...Isn't this new YuGiOh a different anime than the ones they had liscenced? I don't follow Yugioh, so I don't know...

Fill me in on how the licensing thing works guys; I just buy stuff so IDK how it works, haha.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

KKKKAAAHHHHHHNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! doesn't give two $#!+& if some whiny otaku baby cries.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

KKKKAAAHHHHHHNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! doesn't give two $#!+& if some whiny otaku baby cries.

If there was a "like" button, I'd hit it cause you're link-text made me lol..xD
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

And can they do that? Seriously? They can say: "HEY! I'm using your show whether you like it or not! ..and I'm doing worse, I'm gonna SELL IT and not pay you."

The judge ordered a stay, meaning status quo, i.e. what ever is in the current contract is in force. And in that status quo, apparently 4Kids has Zexal. 4Kids still has to pay NAS and TV Tokyo whatever fee is written on the contract, but that contract also gives 4Kids license to shop Zexal around. Treat it like nothing ever happened.

Now, depending on how the courts eventually resolve the quarrel, whether 4Kids could actually follow thru on whatever merchandise agreements they manage to deal at the Licensing Expo.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:50 am Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
4kids gets what they want, even if for a little while.

4kids doing this is following their idea they never lost the franchise. It is called being smart.

I totally agree, 4kids hasn't lost the license yet, so why would they stop promoting their properties. I'm sure they're are doing this to show the confidence they having in remaining the license holder.

I feel the same way about filing the stay, it's still their property. If you owned a house, but we're in a court battle of the ownership of said house, would you be cool if the other party involved tried to sell the house during the case? No, you'd fight for it just like 4kids has done.

And imo, I'm thinking 4kids strategy is hopefully acquire enough money from this to "grease" ADK/TV Tokyo enough to settle this and continue their contracts.

I'm not saying 4kids is showing very much integrity, but they are acting like any business should and will in this situation. It's capitalism, you fight for what is yours, and bleed it dry!
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

...Isn't this new YuGiOh a different anime than the ones they had liscenced? I don't follow Yugioh, so I don't know...

Fill me in on how the licensing thing works guys; I just buy stuff so IDK how it works, haha.

I love 4kids, and hope they can retain/dub Zexal. They've done a stellar job with the YGO anime so far, and would like to see them continue.

And, if you actually read the post, they are not "selling the show", they are shopping around rights to the merchandise. i.e. Cards, toys, etc. If they were trying to sell the show itself, I'm sure they would've have already contacted Nelvana, and it would have already been done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4