• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam AGE Promotional Video Streamed Outside Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I can be down with this. Reminds me of a few of the earlier Gundam shows with really young lead characters, really...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
what a turn off.
Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Oh, I don't know about this one. The mecha designs look interesting, but the characters don't seem like they fit in a Gundam Universe at all. I know Gundam has had some younger leads in it's day, but that boy seems young even by Gundam standards. Oh well, I'm sure I'll give it a watch eventually, not sure I'll like it though.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
Not fond of the character designs. They are a bit too bright looking to be in the world of Gundam.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
Oh, I don't know about this one. The mecha designs look interesting, but the characters don't seem like they fit in a Gundam Universe at all. I know Gundam has had some younger leads in it's day, but that boy seems young even by Gundam standards. Oh well, I'm sure I'll give it a watch eventually, not sure I'll like it though.

Uso Ewinn in V Gundam was younger, and V Gundam is to this day the darkest and most depressing Gundam series yet.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Not really digging how "cute" everything is. The character designs remind me of a lot of those kid shows based off card merchandise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Not really digging how "cute" everything is. The character designs remind me of a lot of those kid shows based off card merchandise.

The character designs don't look nearly as cheap as a lot of other kid shows to me. It looks like I'm probably the only person who likes them though.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Whether or not they manage to pull it off, there's always a chance Gundam AGE will be better in practice than in theory. Good execution may well make up for what may not necessarily be the best combination of ideas in the world.

The promotional video was fine, I guess, but not exactly too compelling. I'm at least slightly interested in checking this out, given its potentially entertaining use of the whole generational premise, despite not particularly caring for the character or mecha designs at this point in time.
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I will wait to judge this show properly when I see it seeing as I'm a fan of not judging a book by its cover. While it looks very nice in the technical department, overall, this books cover is a little ragged for me at the moment.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The character designs make it look like more of a kids show, but it still looks great nonetheless.

I really the retro mech designs, the gundam looks like a mix between the original series gundam and exia.
I also like the nge style enemy mechs.

Show looks interesting.

I don't know if I'll wait for the dub or watch it when it premieres.
I love most of Bandai's work on the Gundam series, so I'll probably end up waiting.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Son, I am disspoint.
Seriouslt... is a MANLY Gundam pilot too much to ask?
They don't all have to Char, but come one.... just ONE!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Son, I am disspoint.
Seriouslt... is a MANLY Gundam pilot too much to ask?
They don't all have to Char, but come one.... just ONE!

In terms of manly main character? Only G Gundam has ever really had one.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

The character designs don't look nearly as cheap as a lot of other kid shows to me. It looks like I'm probably the only person who likes them though.

I was speaking in regards to aesthetic more than production quality. I'm sure a Gundam series will generally have high production values.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I kind of like it. I like the premise, I'm enjoying the MS design, and I'm willing to give this a chance. This could be exactly what Gundam needs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

In terms of manly main character? Only G Gundam has ever really had one.

Char, Kou, Gato and Amada were pretty manly. I'm not talking about huge muscle-men, I just mean that they looked relatively like men. And they were at least over 18. Gundam AGE? More like Gundam UNDERAGE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2