• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime USA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I want to read the Kino's Journey Novels! Very Happy
bishiehunterenya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
There needs to be more anime novels written, and I don't mean those Sailor Moon novels for 5 year olds. I'd buy at least the Banner of the Stars novel. Maybe it'll get my parents off my back saying I'm too old to read comic books. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tamakun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
Yeah I want to read the Kino's Journey Novels! Very Happy

Add me to the list of those who would gladly pick up the Kino's Journey novels! Ever since the Kino's Journey website mentioned them I'd been hoping they would be released over here, since my Japanese is FAR from comprehension-level. Very Happy
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
God, if they translate the LoGH novels, I can die happy. I've always wanted to read them, but sadly my Japanese is still below that level... Here's hoping I can read them in English!

Last edited by mufurc on Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I forsee the translated Japanese version of Super Milk-Chan getting bad ratings on Adult Swim. It's airing on the comedy night (Sunday), where anime is typically excluded. (They showed Big O II on there, for some odd reason... Confused) Most of the AS comedy fans will likely not get the Japanese jokes and references, and there are more AS comedy fans than AS anime fans, one of the reasons AS comedy shows get better ratings. It'll be interesting if this prediction is proven wrong, and Super Milk-Chan accelerates in the ratings... Anime smallmouth
Calli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
ADV is taking a look at translating and publishing the Seikai novels (among others)? I'm not sure how to take this... I don't really want to see another Azumanga Daioh-like* fiasco with first-title wobbles and translation/adaptation issues. Please, ADV -- if you DO translate the novels, make sure you get Baronh right! We've seen the anime and manga releases, both either ignoring the information available or forging ahead with well-meant but erroneous romanizations. Maybe the third time will be the charm -- or seal its fate.

*Meaning the manga. As far as I can tell, their handling of the TV series has been fantastic.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:49 am Reply with quote
Calli wrote:
ADV is taking a look at translating and publishing the Seikai novels (among others)? I'm not sure how to take this...

NO.

ADV is open to the possibility of translating and publishing novels. They are not, repeat, *not* actually looking at any specific titles, not that we know of, anyways.

The Seikai novels, the Kino's Journey novels, and the LoGH novels are just some titles that were thrown out by audience members as possibles of *what* ADV coud pick up, and the ADV rep present did not recoil in horror or turn away from any of those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Calli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Aha. Thanks for the clarification.
jinxisdead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
no one is EVER too old to read comic books Very Happy
biliano*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
jinxisdead wrote:
no one is EVER too old to read comic books Very Happy

Amen to that Exclamation
Andromeda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I second that! ;)

Is there any way to contact ADV to let them know of specific titles we're interested in for novels? Because while Geneon is the producer (an potential liscensor) for Maria-sama Ga Miteru's anime, I've heard NOTHING about the original novels, which are said to be much better. I've liked what I've seen of the anime so far, and woul like to see the manga and novels picked up (I've noticed that Tokyopop's release of the Slayers novels seems to show that the original novels are better than the anime, and I don't doubt that MariMite's a similar case, if only because there's more material to begin with - a lot was apparently left out in the anime and even the manga).

Or maybe they're too busy thinking MariMite's a next generation harem show -.- What on earth possessed Newtype to print something that ridiculous? This is shoujo-ai, but it's far too "slow" and non-fanservicey to EVER be labeled in the same genre as Love Hina or Tenchi (not that Tenchi's a bad show, mind, but it's a VERY different show from MariMite)... ah, but I digress ;)

In any case, to summarize: I'm certainly interested in this particular novel series (Maria-sama Ga Miteru), and wondering exactly how or when I can let ADV know (since I don't tend to be able to make it to most cons).

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
One novel I'd like to see translated is Snakes and Earrings, which won an award last year in Japan for its startling portrayal of life in the Japanese equivalent of "Generation Y." It scandalized many, but was also acknowledged as being very realistic.

...I thought it would be nice to acknowledge that Japan has works of literature outside of anime and manga Wink
Andromeda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...I thought it would be nice to acknowledge that Japan has works of literature outside of anime and manga

*cough* note that I said that the Slayers and Maria-sama Ga Miteru novels were the ORIGINAL novels. ;) Both series apparently (I say 'apparently', because I'm not absolute 100% positive on Slayers, but that's what Tokyopop says so... :P) started as novels, then were later turned into anime and manga series.

Hollywood does the same thing over here with live-action; if Howl's Moving Castle were made in Britain or America, it would likely have been live-action. The attitude in Japan is to make most things animated is all...

Hey, that reminds me... I heard (only once, though) that there was once an attempt at making an (anime or anime-style) animated series based on Stargate. Is that true? (All I heard was that it sucked and got canceled, but it'd be interesting to know if it ever existed or not)

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hollywood does the same thing over here with live-action; if Howl's Moving Castle were made in Britain or America, it would likely have been live-action. The attitude in Japan is to make most things animated is all...

Hardly. It's simply a budget issue. A hugely successful film in Japan will do a box office of 40-50million. And those are very, very rare. Do you think that they could realistically afford it? Answer: animation, where you can make a $100 million film for $5 million
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:
Quote:
...I thought it would be nice to acknowledge that Japan has works of literature outside of anime and manga

*cough* note that I said that the Slayers and Maria-sama Ga Miteru novels were the ORIGINAL novels. Wink Both series apparently (I say 'apparently', because I'm not absolute 100% positive on Slayers, but that's what Tokyopop says so... Razz) started as novels, then were later turned into anime and manga series.

Yes, I wasn't clear enough. You're right that Slayers and Maria Sama (and actually, Vampire Hunter D, Battle Royale, Crest of the Stars and many others) were based on novels. What I meant was it would be nice if they tried to translate something over here in the US that had no anime/manga tie in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1