• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam The Origin Manga to Launch Anime Project

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
That's nice. Where are the First Gundam DVD sets Bandai promised us last year?
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
This makes up for that Gundam AGE announcement. Even though it's the same basic story, I can put up with it. Since it been at least 3 years since I've watched the original show/trilogy movies.

It'll be interesting to see what the animation looks like now. If it's anything like what Zeta Gundam movies did, I'll enjoy it.

Romuska wrote:

Bandai has quite a bit on it's plate to release. They've still got the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya to release too.

After reading Answerman's column last week, it does make me wonder if a set with the japanese audio included will get a release here. Why focus on something that could potentially bomb due to it's limited appeal, when you could just keep releasing the new episodes of Gundam Unicorn?

Last edited by tangytangerine on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
I have no idea what Gundam ACE is. Gundam AGE, on the other hand, is sure to be an interesting development that hopefully holds potential to become a large franchise in its own right. Laughing

So does this mean the series will be called Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, an alternate version of the original Mobile Suit Gundam?
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
they have posted images of the subtitled version of the original gundam on twitter along with this image of the cover http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150230148714467&set=pu.201609269466&type=1&theater being posted on facebook so *rolls eyes* yes original gundam at least is coming and i bet turn a gundam they are waiting til after the anime legend MSG is finished,. I'm sick of this entitlement and 1/2 glass attitude that everything should be done now now now, i know myself i could not afford both shows released at once so yeah its coming, just wanted to put this scare from hey answer man to rest.

edit: 7:40 in the morning leads to typos... Anime smile;;
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Anime of the Manga of the Anime
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
What depressing news.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
Huh.

Well, this should be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
This is disappointing for me. Not really interested in a re-imagining of the original series in the slightest. I was hoping for something either completely new like AGE.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
Not the most creative or original of choices, to be quite frank, but I do think animating an updated version of the original Gundam story is a reasonable decision by Bandai and Sunrise. I'm definitely going to check this out.

As much as the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy does hold up relatively well, a simple underlying fact remains: we're still dealing with old material and that's always going to place a limit on its potential appeal. I'd say the sad fate of the original Gundam TV series and its late introduction to the U.S. should be more than enough evidence of that.

From a business perspective, The Origin may help stimulate interest in the Universal Century among younger audiences and, of course, make it easier to sell the same basic set of classic model kits and related merchandise. In addition, both nostalgic viewers and hardcore fans alike, to say nothing of newbies who have been introduced to the main property through Unicorn and possibly other spin-offs, should be relatively receptive to this.

Sure, there's always chance that some people will be preemptively turned off by the old character designs, but I imagine they might well end up being slightly updated and, in any event, the use of lots of shiny new animation should help to properly bridge that gap. The soundtrack will probably be completely new too, and tying everything up with what will hopefully be a new and improved directorial style should also eliminate some of the worst (as much as they can often be entertaining) quirks of Tomino's original work. All in all, this project definitely has a lot of potential.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
This makes up for that Gundam AGE announcement. Even though it's the same basic story, I can put up with it. Since it been at least 3 years since I've watched the original show/trilogy movies.

YES!

That should teach them for trying to expand the audience and trying something new.

All I want are remakes of previous series and bitching about how overpowered Strike Freedom is compared to Gundam 00 Quanta.

Seriously, Gundam Origin is nice, but at the same time they just undercut Bandai's plans for the first series because unless the people buying MSG really want to see the first series, they are just going to wait to get the new shiny remake. I think it also really emphasizes that Gundam fans actually embrace being stuck in a rut. MSG already had a remake 9 years ago covering the exact same themes simply updated with new information (changing Newtypes to genetically altered coordinators), and with bits of Zeta thrown in.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Romuska wrote:

Bandai has quite a bit on it's plate to release. They've still got the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya to release too.

They announced summer releases for both titles at Sakura-Con.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I think it also really emphasizes that Gundam fans actually embrace being stuck in a rut. MSG already had a remake 9 years ago covering the exact same themes simply updated with new information (changing Newtypes to genetically altered coordinators), and with bits of Zeta thrown in.

If you mean Gundam SEED, it was less of a direct remake and more of a "renovation" or "reimagining" with some shared common ground but enough differences and plenty of modified material to count as a structurally distinct work. It really was intended to stand on its own.

I haven't read The Origin myself yet but everything seems to indicate that it works as an alternate version of the same original story with only moderate differences, instead of something recreated and restructured from the ground up with other considerations in mind. In other words, it comparatively respects and largely sticks to the source material.

I do share some of your mild disappointment, in terms of the lack of creative risks being taken, but at the same time there are also several potential positives worth acknowledging, as mentioned or implied in my previous post. In the end...as with Unicorn, I'll be happy enough if it's simply a good show.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Anime of a manga of an anime? You guys, it's GUNDAMCEPTION!

Anyway, if this is kind of like a remake of the original series (which I really like) then I'm game!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
So... wait. Fans are getting a refreshing, innovative take on Gundam with AGE and UC fans get their Unicorn AND a 0079 remake and there's still bitching? What? It seems like all types are being served here.

I just want to know if Tohru Furuya and Shuichi Ikeda are returning to their roles. Aw, but with Hirotaka Suzuoki deceased, they'll need a new Bright. Well, they would have anyway for his role in Unicorn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
So far, Tomino did "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Movie Trilogy" as a fix up of the One Year War story, thus decanonizing the "Mobile Suit Gundam" T.V. series from the official UC continuity, but seeing that Yasuhiko's manga will get the anime treatment, is there a possibility that the trilogy itself will be decanonized too or will this new anime start a separate UC continuity?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3